Author Topic: fangoria article  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: fangoria article
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2005, 10:33:17 PM »
Yes, I obviously didn't catch your byline when I had my very brief brush with the piece (pick up zine, flip past pages, go, "seen that, done that"), return to rack.

As you know, my enthusiasm for the topic for the WB project was never very high, and the tude of those suits left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth for the whole thing.  I'm sure your writing enlivened an otherwise sad subject.

Kudos!

Steve

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2005, 10:38:13 PM »
For great examples of Network executive thought (or lack of thought) patterns, the behind the scenes featurettes on the SEINFELD DVDs provide an excellent perspective...

Watching NBC network head Warren Littlefield openly admit his original befuddlement about what are now classic, innovative episodes is a hoot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2005, 10:50:22 PM »
Well, I give you due credit for having the patience to work out there, in the middle of all that.

Even attempting to watch Seinfeld is enough to reduce my language to words of the 4 lettered anglo-saxon variety.

We are very fortunate to have someone like yourself who understands the mystique of DS in the trenches, fighting the good fight!

Doffing my cap,

Steve

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: fangoria article and Stuart' s Pierson interview
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2005, 12:54:58 AM »
Steve,

I'd highly recommend picking up the Fangoria...

I have a fondness for everything written (well, almost everything) by that particular writer who penned the DS piece..

;D.

I too Darren have a fondness to that particular writer who penned that piece. LOL In all seriousness, I think it is defintely worth the money and to read the article. Come on, there really has not been many credible articles recently written on DS and in a major publication. To me it was worth every penny.

I just read Stuart's recent interview of Jim Pierson at his collinwood. net website. I was truly surprised to see how Pierson opened up and spilled some interesting facts and gave his opinions on many DS issues.(Stuart what type of weapon did you place to his head? lol) I did not not know for example that at the time the WB-DS development got off the ground, there were also other "entities" who also wanted to bring DS back to television. I wonder who they were and where they are now? We can certainly use them now.
Not sure if I agree with Pierson that Wells is still interested in revisiting DS. This interview is absolutely worth reading.

Thanks Stuart and Darren for providing some real intriguing, informative and entertaining DS articles.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2005, 11:41:56 PM »
Once again, The WB's "The Mountain" was network television's least watched program. The freshman dud was No. 109 with a 1.0/2, hooking only 1.36 million viewers, fewer than an "America's Funniest Home Videos" repeat on PAX.

Yes, I freely admit that I'm obsessed with the poor performance of The Mountain. But my obsession will have to come to an end because the WB halted production on the show and this past Sunday's episode was the "Last first-run episode of the season." Yeah, right - like the show has a snowball's chance in hell of getting a second season?  ::)

But look - now I can start a new obsession:

While The WB has removed the stench of "The Mountain" from its schedule, the critically admired "Jack & Bobby" ended the week as the lowest rated new show on any network with a 1.4/2, only beating out repeats of The WB's "Summerland" and UPN's "Road to Stardom with Missy Elliott."

It sure seems like The WB is two for two with the drama series they picked over DS. Everyone - let's join in a collective "Awwwww" because we all just feel so bad for them, right?  [vryevl]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2005, 12:00:53 AM »
Perhaps we ought to look at this from a different angle.......

Maybe, (just maybe) it was a lucky thing for us that the DS pilot never ended up on the WB.....

With their gawd-awful track record for new shows, DS might have withered and died waiting for an audience to find it.  And once the show had actually failed, what chance would we have had at another shot in our lifetimes?

At least now, there is always hope for another chance at getting the right pilot made, and the right outlet found.

Hope springs eternal.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas