Author Topic: What I didn't like about the fest.  (Read 5676 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: What I didn't like about the fest.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 12:50:44 AM »
Well, some of us do.

As far as the banquets go. I don't think I've ever had a decent meal at the Fests. That's not to say that the company isn't appreciated. But, brother, those banquet meals stink. I would prefer a buffet style meal, though I bet that's out of the question, as far as Marriotts go.
I went to my very first Southern wedding here in Dixie. It was held at a Marriott. The wait staff rushed everything. The food was terrific, but when goiing for a second helping, there was none to be had. The wait staff rushed us through the service. Terrible thing. I am still wondering what they did with all that steak.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 01:14:32 AM »
I remember my first fest - I had been waiting in line for an autograph for over an hour. The hallway was hotter'n heck. Jim Pearson was making every attemp to soothe the fans, but to no avail. People were screaming at him. You have to realize that the folks who organize the fests work their asses off arranging this stuff. They go beyond their best. No, not every event works out the way it's planned, but it's pretty darn close. My last fest, I waited in line like everybody else. When I got to John Karlen, he asked me why I waited in line for so long, as I know him personally, and he said he would sign anything I wanted. Because of the experience. I wanted to experience what everybody else was. The fests are very personal. I feel fortunate to have met so many wonderful people. Gee whiz, if Nancy hadn't arrested me for wickedness in 2004, well, that's another story.
Enjoy the fests and all the folks you meet from across the globe. That's what I say, anyway.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »
I agree 100%. If you will allow yourself you can meet some great people while in those lines. You're among more like minded people, when it comes to DS, than you even will be, take advantage it. You could find out the those long lines are a fun part of the fest.

As for what the "Stars" choose to talk about, I don't care if Roger Davis talk about land devolopment or if David Selby talks about the election or what. I've read every book that been written about DS, fiction and non-fiction. I don't think anyone of them will tell a story about the show that I haven't heard before somewhere. If they did that would be great but I don't think it happens much. For me it's about connecting when these people that were a very important part of my life as a child. Believe it or not but I learned some important life lessons from DS.

In the end, the reason I started this thread was because I don't want fans that have never been to get the wrong idea. Personally I'd reather talk about the good and forget about the bad. You can't change the bad, you don't enjoy it, so why make it an issue?

Remember this "Actors Act, Those That Can't Direct, Those That Can't Direct Become Critics" [ghost_smiley]
May you die before you want too.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »
IMHO.  I really wish that the fest would perhaps acquire stars from the other DS incarnations.  I would LIVE to see Joanna Going, Barbara Steele, or Lysette Anthony.  I think it would even be great to get Alec Newman and/or Marley Shelton to attend.  I just wonder if any of them have been asked? Alec Newman is working on the new audio dramas and got to be in Barney's shoes so I would love hear his take on the whole thing.  I think it would inject new blood into the fest.  I love all the regular "Originals"but they tell the same stories over and over. And before you same something, I am not throwing stones.  How many NEW stories can you tell after 42 years??? I was introduced to DS by the 1991 series and I would BEND OVER BACKWORDS to get to a fest with those actors included as well.  I plan to attend next year nevertheless, but I would still love to see some of the "other" DS stars.  As always just some of my opinions and who knows maybe they have been asked but are unwilling to participate or unable. 

PS I was watching Lara do a Question and Answer back in the 80's  and she was ON FIRE. So much fun however, I know she has attend year in year out and I am sure it gets a bit old.  These are merely suggestions take it with a grain of salt!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »
I would love to meet Barbara Steele but not so much for DS. I grew up watching her classic horror movies. To tell the truth there are extremely few actors working today that I would care about meeting. I'd like to meet Jack Nicholson but he's also someone I grew up watching, in old AIP movies and such.

The "new" DS I kinda liked but nothing like the original. Maybe because I was a kid when the original was on and when the "new" DS came on I saw two or three shows then with to Gulf for part 1 of the Gulf War.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 11:42:05 PM »
OFF TOPIC:  We all like what we like plain and simple.  I just have affection for the show because it was my "FIRST" DS visual experience!!  It's no different than you liking the original because it was your first DS experience!!  I would love to meet Barbara Steele no matter what.  She could talk about what she had for breakfast and I would love it. LOL  I "PERSONALLY" thought still was one of the highlights from the new show. IF anyone knows me and reads my post's they know I AM IN LOVE with GH so don't start throwing stones at me!!! [ghost_nowink]  I pretty much love DS in all forms.  [spoiler]I have yet to see the 2004 pilot but I am quite certain I would like the pilot--minus the horrible ending and Blair Brown.[/spoiler]  That may not be considered spoilery but I wanted to make sure!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 12:08:50 AM »
Well I'm not saying the new show was bad, only that when I think of it I think of sleeping on a tail-gate in the dessert with am M-16 and "gas" mask.

When I think of the original I think of Jr. high school, hanging out with friends, and learning about the 60's, if you know what I mean? You know mind expanding, flower power and all that? [ghost_smiley] They need a smiley with bloodshot eyes [ghost_smiley]. Just two very different times in my life, you know.

I do own the new show on DVD so it's not like I against it, and I look forward to seeing the new movie, I hope new movies.

And if I could I know I'd buy the 2004 pilot.

The Times They Are A Changing

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 11:29:50 AM »
The idea that any of these people would want to even show up for a fest, for a show that they get paid nothing for the sale of is a credit to them. IMHO every fan should be extremely grateful that anyone from a show that ended 37 years ago, and pays no royalities, were ever care if they watched or not. And I know many fans are extemely grateful but...

I didn't know they didn't get paid, beyong plane fare and a room which I presume must be included.  (I'm sparing eyes from reading whole thread.)   Yes, complaining about guests would be almost unforgiveable in that case.   I'd even go along with Roger Davis and real estate especially since he must need doctor money right now.   

If anyone has complaints for the management, that's something else, they receive fans' money, though there's no profit involved, so I'd complain carefully and respectfully.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 01:56:21 AM »
Well the fest was $30 per person for all three days, half off for children 6 - 12. We know that some people didn't attend all three days but we'll go with $30.00 a person anyway. ShadowGram reported that 1200 fans were there for the three days. $30.00 times 1,200 people is 36,000. There were 12 stars attending, that's 3,000 per person. That doesn't go very far if you include room, board, and transportation. And that's without including paying all the people to work the fest, their room, board, and transportation, oh and I don't think they all work for free. And I sure the rooms to put the show on wasn't cheap.

Now I'm sure the dealers in the dealer's room were charged for their space but I don't think it would add up to much.

If they do get paid, it ain't much. [ghost_smiley]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 05:26:40 AM »
Well I'm not saying the new show was bad, only that when I think of it I think of sleeping on a tail-gate in the dessert with am M-16 and "gas" mask.

Thank you for your service, borgosi.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
You're very welcome.

But I must add that I went in because at the time I was out of work and my wife and I had just had our first child. In short I had to have a job, I wasn't "born on the fourth of July". I love America but that isn't why I went in, given a choice I wouldn't have.

I don't know if that makes a difference or not, or if it should. After typing it I think that maybe the message is that we should all remember that alot of the young people over there joined because they felt the same way. That they believed that they had no choice.

And maybe I should just shut up and stick to...

You are very welcome.

Greg

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
Thank you for your service, borgosi.

Same here; thanks.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2008, 03:45:31 PM »
You're very welcome as well.