Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0380  (Read 644 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0380
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:34:41 AM »
Robservations - #380

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0380

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:57:46 AM »
With what Andre knows about Josette & Jeremiah, he is all-in to the demands of his occult-obsessed sister to have Barn & Josette wed tonight. I wonder if Josette’s protest is of her own making or due to the spell she’s under. Josette will leave it up to Barn. Ange panics, especially after Josette refuses her offer of a rosewater head rub. Ange’s back is against the wall yet again.

Ben and the cat - lol. Ange stops Ben from the pleasure of skinning Joshua the cat alive with the promise of changing Joshua into a kinder, gentler master. Ange: “Don’t worry Ben, you’ll have your revenge, I promise, but only after I have had mine.” Ben taunts Ange with the failure of all her plots, potions, hexes & spells. To rectify the situation, she sends Ben for a small cloth item belonging to Jeremiah. Ange is in a real panic which can’t be good for anybody.

Josette talks to Barn and they agree to marry tonight. Josette seems genuinely pleased but I’m still getting mixed signals. Her forlorn look after Barn leaves makes me wonder what’s really going on in her head. The writer may have made an error in having Barn say, “As I told you in Martinique, it could never be too soon.” I am under the impression by previous remarks in previous episodes that Josette gave Barn no indication of wanting to marry him or even wanting to be with him while he was in Martinique, which is what led him to Ange’s bed. Though I guess Barn could have proposed and said as much and not received an answer until he got back home. Is anyone clear on this? (Not that it really matters, I guess, but now I am wondering.)

It just occurred to me that Ben represents us, the audience, the voice of reason and truth. He brings Ange Jeremiah’s hanky with which she in turn creates a rose doused with the tainted rosewater cologne for Josette to wear during her vows. Ben: “There’s no end to your tricks is there? Ange: I know what I want & I shall have it. Ben: And everyone else go hang, ay? Ange: Oh, Ben, I only hurt those who try to hurt me. Ben: When did Miss Josette ever try to hurt you!” Dom: "Yeah, Bitch!" Ben’s comments force Ange to take an honest look at herself but to no avail and that is no surprise.

Josette and Natalie both look très fab in their wedding attire. Josette’s wedding ensemble is gorgeous. I could go on but I wouldn’t know what I was talking about. All I can say is, “Yes To The Dress!” Re: Natalie’s dress – I like red and I love sparkles, lol. Ange must resort to tears to get Josette to wear the cloth rose. I would have had it pinned to the back of the sash, but what do I know? I was impressed with the dialogue in this scene. I don’t know, I guess somewhere along the line I’ve gotten used to everyone on the show just doing and saying what the plot needed to move along no matter how stupid or impossible it was to believe that it could possibly go down that way. Things seem to be a bit more realistic now, with Josette not wanting to wear the rose and by saying so. I feel like a few months/weeks ago she would have said, “Oh, it’s lovely, gee thanks, it’s perfect and just what I needed to finish off the look.” And I would have groused about how contrived it was. I guess I will have to give Sam Hall credit where credit’s due (though I’d be pleased to learn someone else wrote this episode, lol). Anyway, as bad as I feel for Josette being coerced into wearing the rose (my knowing it’s a harbinger of doom) I do take bittersweet pleasure in know-it-all Natalie being the unwitting culprit in Ange’s dirty work.

LOL, I was expecting to hear the minister ask if they had pushed up the wedding because the bride was pregnant. An impatient Andre seeks out Josette and she is nowhere to be found, which he announces to practically -- no one – where the hell is everybody?!! Did anyone doubt the closing shot would be that of a smiling Angelique?

Random thoughts: DarkLady, more on the saga of the Countess & her brother- Natalie is recounting the story of the wedding of Andre & his wife Marie and she mentions that Andre’s father knew the Archbishop of Paris who married them. So, it is sounding like Marie might have been Nat’s sister, as she referred to Andre’s father as, well, Andre’s father, not “our” father.
What do you suppose Andre was looking for in the hope chest at the foot of Josette’s bed? I laughed thinking “Nope, she’s not in there.” It was empty and it seemed to provide him with an answer of some kind. David Ford looked really good for once – healthy & handsome. Josette calls Ange “Natalie” in the opening sequence. Parker is working the double eyebrow thang, which annoys the hell out of me. Frid plays the romantic extremely well. I am starting to understand the Idol phenomenon that the character ignited. This Barnabas is very likeable. Busy episode – a lot going on and well done for the most part. Hmm, written by Gordon Russell.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »
Champagne for one, anybody?

I seem to remember that Barn and Josette met in Martinique but didn't fall in love until they started writing to one another afterward. I suppose that between them, Joshua and André would have gotten them married one way or another--the fact that they actually fell in love was just a bonus.

Dom, I also love Josette's wedding gown and Natalie's pretty dress. It goes very well with her hair and coloring. And even Barnabas is wearing a not-black wedding suit that looks very good on him. And he makes a sweet and ardent groom.

Great moment when Ben is stalking the cat with that tiny little hatchet! I like your idea about him as being a stand-in for us.

Just before the wedding is to take place, Josette is in her room, with her aunt helping her into her ivory satin wedding gown (not the one she wears in her portrait). She is nearly ready when Angelique comes in with her charm, now safely dry. It will bring you good fortune, she tells Josette. However, Josette rejects the gift, since it won’t look well with her gown. [She calls Angelique “Natalie.“] Angelique pretends to cry. Patronizing Angelique, the countess tells Josette, Wear the little good-luck charm. What harm could it do? Josette relents, and Angelique declares, I am honored, Miss Josette. In a show of a servant’s humility, Angelique kneels to pin it onto her mistress’s wedding gown.

André comes back downstairs and reports that Josette is gone along with her wardrobe. Unobserved in the general uproar, Angelique takes a glass of Champagne and toasts her success.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:12:59 PM »
 Ben prepares to kill the cat and apparently Joshua is unaware he's become a cat, because if I were Joshua I'd flee or at least claw the heck out of everyone I wanted. Andre turns down a drink and it reminds me that Sam never would.  I really tried to get over my dislike of David Ford, but it's not happening.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 02:21:47 AM »
Champagne for one, anybody?

Good one.

Josette's puffy shoulders, and black band resembling a belt around her ribs, create for me a vague impression of weirdly distorted bodily proportions.

Poor conflicted kitty, expected to stay put serenely, while Ben approached him Matthew-like with an axe, obviously seeming to mean business.   To the cat's credit, he tries to stick it out but finally vamooses, wisely figuring that his handler doesn't know everything, and might be wrong to trust the creepy guy with the axe.... Would you take that chance with Thayer in creepy mode?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor