Author Topic: d.s. dolls?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
d.s. dolls?
« on: January 05, 2007, 02:52:13 AM »
this is going to sound like the absolute gayest thing ever but...

yesterday i saw an item in the newspaper about how the company "madame alexander"(a manufacturer of expensive,collectable dolls)is planning to launch a line of dolls in the likenesses of the five main actresses on the primetime soap opera "desperate housewives".

these tiny drama queens will not come cheaply.it's expected that they will retail for about $130.00 each.that takes a pretty devoted fan.aquiring the entire set will set one back nearly $700.00!

now i enjoy desperate housewives and watch it weekly but i certainly cannot imagine wanting to collect these(although the teensy bree replica is darling). ::)

however it made me think...what if it was a finely detailed line-up of our d.s. leading ladies that was going into production(as apposed to plastic "action figures").?

would i find myself insanely covetous of these?willing to shell out big $$$?would twelve inch versions of vicki,carolyn and maggie be lining a curio cabinet in my home?would i become "that person"?

this thought scared the hell out of me!!! :o

would anyone else go for these?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: d.s. dolls?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 03:01:14 AM »
It depends on the likeness....

But if the likeness was good, then yeah, I would. I already collect 'action' figures, and I would have no problem adding dolls to my collection.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 03:49:35 AM »
I've collected dolls for many years-even got a Madam Alexander for a birthday present once. Most of mine are old dolls-esp. the "storybook" line and international dolls. But yes, I'd go for a DS line of dolls IF they were well done. Yep--that makes me "one of those"!  ;)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 04:03:17 AM »
*Raises hand* Oh I am definitely one of "those people".

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 05:13:59 AM »
oh-oh.

i hope i didn't give offense.

it was meant in jest.needless to say i probably would in fact become one of "those people" who obsessively collected these little cuties. ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 05:28:41 AM »
oh-oh.  i hope i didn't give offense.  it was meant in jest.

Don't think anyone *was* offended sweetie.  ;)

Would *I* get these dolls, hmmmm, not at that price.  That's why I'm glad Majestic Studios have dolls, and I have my Barnabas doll proudly displayed in my living room!  Hope they do a Series 2 and that it includes Julia, would love to put her up there on the shelf next to her man! ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 06:46:11 AM »
None taken by me at least!

If there were dolls, believe me I would get them. I'm still trying to figure out how I could build myself a dollhouse version of Collinwood. It'd be a massive undertaking, but I am seriously thinking of doing it.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »
MSCbryk, there was a "Clay Julia" doll available on eBay a few years ago.  A friend of mine bought one and loves it.  It's by somebody who goes by the moniker of "ClayGuy," I think.  It sort of made me think of what would have been the result had Grayson Hall done a role in that old 1965 Rankin/Bass film, Mad Monster Bash (if ANYONE out there remembers that--it's the one with Boris Karloff and Phyllis Diller--endearing in a somewhat naff way).

I personally don't collect such things, but I believe the Clay Julia figurine was quite reasonably priced.  I do think "Madam Alexander" is WAY over the top but I know others think the same about the cult of DS, so I guess we're all even, eh?

cheers, Gothique (the living incarnation of "THE GAYEST THING EVER," trust me, darling...)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »
Would *I* get these dolls, hmmmm, not at that price.  That's why I'm glad Majestic Studios have dolls, and I have my Barnabas doll proudly displayed in my living room!  Hope they do a Series 2 and that it includes Julia, would love to put her up there on the shelf next to her man! ;)

I would get them - I would just have to be more selective and choose only my absolute favorites.

I do wonder where Majestic has gotten to.....haven't heard a thing about any of their lines since SDCC - and they only talked about the new BSG there to my knowledge. No mention of DS. I'm hoping for a Josette and Willie, myself. But it seems like the company has vanished. ???

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »
I used to collect things but not so much anymore.

I would probably be motivated to buy an expensive Liz doll to make myself laugh (which would be well worth the money). And if it resembled Liz from let's say the first episode (black evening gown, hair piled high, pearls, and those fabulous earings, lol) I would probably not be able to resist, and make it a talking Liz doll ("Because I choose to do so!" "I'll Have Mrs Johnson put on some tea" "Roger! You're a fool!" "Let me be honest Miss Winters, David's not likely to be like any other little boy you've ever met" etc) it would be a done deal.

I haven't quite figured out where I'd want the 'press here to hear me talk' spot to be - maybe the updo.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 05:59:09 PM »
Gothique (the living incarnation of "THE GAYEST THING EVER," trust me, darling...)

Hmm, not to dispute your claim, but I've met guys who SEEMED gayer than you, LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 06:09:41 PM »
Yeah, well, since I cut my hair, the camouflage is well and truly lacquered solid.  A friend actually had the impudence to turn to me the other day and say, "Darling, you've gone quite Republican."

It was only because I had inexplicably misplaced my Destructo button that she is still among the living.

cheers, G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 06:24:12 PM »
Yeah, well, since I cut my hair, the camouflage is well and truly lacquered solid.  A friend actually had the impudence to turn to me the other day and say, "Darling, you've gone quite Republican."  It was only because I had inexplicably misplaced my Destructo button that she is still among the living.

ROTFLMAOPIMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   [laughing4] [stfl]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 06:47:16 PM »
MSCbryk, there was a "Clay Julia" doll available on eBay a few years ago.  A friend of mine bought one and loves it.  It's by somebody who goes by the moniker of "ClayGuy," I think.  It sort of made me think of what would have been the result had Grayson Hall done a role in that old 1965 Rankin/Bass film, Mad Monster Bash (if ANYONE out there remembers that--it's the one with Boris Karloff and Phyllis Diller--endearing in a somewhat naff way).

I personally don't collect such things, but I believe the Clay Julia figurine was quite reasonably priced.

www.clayguy.com

Clay Guy's DS collection  I have his Quentin of course.

A friend actually had the impudence to turn to me the other day and say, "Darling, you've gone quite Republican."

No worries there.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 06:51:01 PM »
Wow, Midnite.  Thanks for that link!

Words seldom fail me, but the Norman Bates figure in the "Midnight/cult Movies" section... I'm truly beyond speech.

cheers, G.