Author Topic: Post Count  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Post Count
« on: May 30, 2003, 06:22:25 PM »
My post count has been at 180 for the 3 or 4 times I've posted.  Have the counts been frozen or something? Not a problem or anything, just wondering. ???
MM

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Post Count
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 07:56:19 PM »
My post count has been at 180 for the 3 or 4 times I've posted.  Have the counts been frozen or something? Not a problem or anything, just wondering. ???

I was just telling Midnite the other day that something weird is going on with certain post counts. Strangely, it only seems to be happening for certain people, and unfortunately I have no idea what the problem actually is because it also seems to be caused by something on the people who are experiencing the problem's end. :( I've logged in as some of them, made temporary test posts, and their count has climbed just as it should in every case. :-

Your count is up to 181 now, Maria - but if you go to your public profile page and use the "Show the last (All) posts of this person" feature, you'll see that it should actually be at 186...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 08:03:37 PM »
Just be grateful they're not going backwards......snort!  [vryevl]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 08:33:14 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up, Maria_Merriweather! I've been having the same problem with not having new posts register, and I had wondered if I was losing it or imagining things.   ???

ProfStokes

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 11:24:55 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up, Maria_Merriweather! I've been having the same problem with not having new posts register, and I had wondered if I was losing it or imagining things.   ???

ProfStokes

Me, too.  I don't keep track of my numbers but I thought I got stuck somewhere.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 11:44:23 PM »
Don't know for certain if this is directly related to the post count problem, but I just read on our host's support forum that some snarky little brat has been trying to compromise their server for several days now. Apparently, he hasn't gotten too far, but he has caused both the main server and its connection to the MySQL server (where all of the forum's info is stored) to behave a little erractically from time to time during this period.

Our host also says this isn't the first time this guy has tried an attack. And though he's never actually been able to do any real damage, they've reported him to his ISP, who's also looking into the matter. Hopefully his ISP will fry his pathetic butt!! >:(

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 07:24:44 AM »
Agreed - hope they get him!!

I almost posted about this the other night.  I recently hit 700.  I was sure I was at 705 a couple of days later, but when I did supposedly 706, it still said 705.  The next day, when I knew it was already at 706, the next post remained at 706.  However, it seems to be working correctly ever since that one.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 07:07:14 AM »
 [6184]

I figured out what the post count problem had been: I'd installed some behind the scenes mods in the copy of the forum that runs in Linux on my computer, and rather than install them all over again in the scripts for the real forum, I'd uploaded the modified scripts for the dummy forum. Now, why is that significant? Well, I'd forgotten that a few days before on the dummy forum I'd been testing an already built in system feature that allows us to set zero post counts for any of the boards and those settings were still in effect on the dummy forum. So, after I'd uploaded the scripts with those settings, whenever someone made a post in any of the boards that had zero post count set, their post count didn't increase. Oops. :-[ [7385]

However, I've since removed those settings and I've written a script that recounted everyone's post counts, so they should all be accurate now. But I think I may need a vacation to prevent anything like that from accidentally happening again. ;)

Hmmm...maybe I'll take a few days off to finally watch the seven Buffy and three Angel episodes that I still haven't seen because I never took the time away from the forum to watch them when they were originally on...

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 04:44:46 AM »
Thanks MB for all your hard work in keeping this site in
tip-top shape.  [clap]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 06:38:18 AM »
Thank you for solving the problem, MB.   :D More importantly, thank you so much for your dedication and continual hard work on this site!  [hello]

ProfStokes

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 07:22:59 AM »
[6184]

Hmmm...maybe I'll take a few days off to finally watch the seven Buffy and three Angel episodes that I still haven't seen because I never took the time away from the forum to watch them when they were originally on...

Please do!  You are in for a treat.  And great idea to be able to see the last seven Buffy all together as opposed to just watching them piecemiel as they were shown.  The wait just killed me.

Please stay rested MB you deserve it.

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Post Count
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 01:24:39 AM »
The post count problem has popped up for me.  This is actually post 63 for me, but it had been stuck on 58 until last night.  Let's see if this one comes up as number 60.

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 01:28:18 AM »
Nope, still stuck at 59.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 02:07:46 AM »
The posts that members make on this board do not factor into their post counts.

... the ones made here aren't counted because it's simply a testing board and/or a place to get support and/or answers to questions completely unrelated to DS.  ;)  However, all posts made on all the other boards are credited to all members' post totals immediately.  :)

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »
Thanks, MB.  That makes perfect sense.