Author Topic: Spoiler space is blank / was Re: Discuss - Ep #0508  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Spoiler space is blank / was Re: Discuss - Ep #0508
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »
Reply #6 from MB comes up blank for me.  Is there something I'm not seeing, or is it deliberately blank?

[Blow_Up_IE]

It's all spoiler space.  If you're using Explorer, try quoting the post to read it.  I don't have IE7, so someone will have to let us know if it will bring up the text in that version.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0508
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:07:51 PM »
Ah, yes - there's never a dull moment with IE. It used to be that the older spoilers all worked and that we just couldn't create new ones (without going into the database to do it). But apparently now not even the old ones work. I'm guessing some update to IE removed its ability to execute the forum's spoiler code. Way to go, Microsoft - you're supposed to add features to IE to put it on a par with other browsers - NOT remove what was already working!  [ghost_mad]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:59:46 AM »
Actually, I'm using Firefox.  I only use IE if Firefox or Netscape don't work.

However, I tried the "quote" and it comes up with the usual quote code and the endquote with NOTHING in between.
Josette

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »
Me too!  Firefox and no quote.  Maybe MB was being M just for the fun of it.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »
I wasn't logged in as an administrator when I opened the topic using Explorer, but now I see that it's a permissions thing.  So I'll start over again-- for some reason, spoilers can only be viewed in posts by moderators or higher, but all groups can see them by quoting the post using the Quick Reply option, where you'll see this:

Code: [Select]
[quote author=Mysterious Benefactor link=topic=13557.msg121443#msg121443 date=1206650152][spoiler]We know without a doubt from
future revelations (including those made by the woman herself) that Angelique and Cassandra are one and the same in every way
imaginable except for appearance.[/spoiler][/quote]

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 06:17:53 PM »
I wasn't logged in as an administrator when I opened the topic using Explorer, but now I see that it's a permissions thing.  So I'll start over again-- for some reason, spoilers can only be viewed in posts by moderators or higher, but all groups can see them by quoting the post using the Quick Reply option, where you'll see this:

Code: [Select]
[quote author=Mysterious Benefactor link=topic=13557.msg121443#msg121443 date=1206650152][/quote]

...unless you got here through AOL (see above).  I was on AOL the other day and visited and saw the blank note and that's just what I tried.  Didn't work.  The quote came out blank.  So I figured maybe MB wrote the post in parallel time and it was currently out of phase.  Either that, or a private note to Claude Rains...anyway, AOL won't read it.

Judy
[9366]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 08:59:04 PM »
I was on AOL the other day and visited and saw the blank note and that's just what I tried.  Didn't work.  The quote came out blank.

It came out blank in the Quick Reply window-- the feature that's at the bottom of the topic pages?

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 07:08:12 AM »
I couldn't figure out what you meant by Quick Reply.  After finding a way to see it with regular reply, I investigated and discovered in my Profile that it was turned off.  After turning it on, I wasn't sure how to use it with Quote.  I clicked "Quick Reply" then went back to #6 and clicked "quote" and it again came up blank.

The way it worked for me was with regular Reply, where it shows all the previous posts underneath it.  I clicked the "Insert Quote" link and then it appeared.
Josette

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 07:02:26 PM »

It came out blank in the Quick Reply window-- the feature that's at the bottom of the topic pages?

Yes.  [ghost_blink]

Judy
[9366]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »
Yes.  [ghost_blink]

The feature is completely turned off in your Profile (set to "show, not at all"), so I suspect that we're not talking about the same thing.  To use the feature, you'll need to select one of the other 2 options available in the Look and Layout Preferences area of your Profile next to use quick reply on topic display:  "show, off by default" or "show, on by default."  Select either and click Change Profile.  With either of these options set, you'll only see Quick Reply at the bottom of the page when a topic is open.  If the feature is set to "show, on...," you can post directly from it, and when it's set to "show, off...," you only need to click the Quick Reply link or the arrow next to it to avail yourself of it.  If you start using Quick Reply but realize you need more options, simply click Preview to bring up a regular window.  [But please don't try that after quoting MB's post because, like I said before, spoilers are still associated with a permission.]

I couldn't figure out what you meant by Quick Reply.  After finding a way to see it with regular reply, I investigated and discovered in my Profile that it was turned off.  After turning it on, I wasn't sure how to use it with Quote. I clicked "Quick Reply" then went back to #6 and clicked "quote" and it again came up blank.

In your Profile, the option is set to "show, on by default," so when you quote MB's post, the spoiler text will show up in the Quick Reply window at the bottom of the topic page.  But by clicking "Quick Reply" when it's already turned on, you're actually turning the feature off.

The way it worked for me was with regular Reply, where it shows all the previous posts underneath it.  I clicked the "Insert Quote" link and then it appeared.

Hey, thank you for suggesting another way to see the spoiler text.  Nice bit of detective work, Josette!  [thumb]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler space is blank / was Re: Discuss - Ep #0508
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »
Hey, thank you for suggesting another way to see the spoiler text.  Nice bit of detective work, Josette!  [thumb]

Someone needs to get their ass in gear and try again to figure out why the new spoiler code doesn't work. I've discussed our problem with a few people on SMF's home forum and no one seems to understand what's unique about our forum because the Mod generally works fine for everyone else who uses it on their forums.  [hdscrt]

Maybe tonight I'll give it a go again...

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 08:49:48 AM »
The feature is completely turned off in your Profile (set to "show, not at all"), so I suspect that we're not talking about the same thing.  To use the feature, you'll need to select one of the other 2 options available in the Look and Layout Preferences area of your Profile next to use quick reply on topic display:  "show, off by default" or "show, on by default."  Select either and click Change Profile.  With either of these options set, you'll only see Quick Reply at the bottom of the page when a topic is open.  If the feature is set to "show, on...," you can post directly from it, and when it's set to "show, off...," you only need to click the Quick Reply link or the arrow next to it to avail yourself of it.  If you start using Quick Reply but realize you need more options, simply click Preview to bring up a regular window.  [But please don't try that after quoting MB's post because, like I said before, spoilers are still associated with a permission.]

[ghost_wub]  Um...yeah...sure.      [bnghd]

I'll come back and read this some other time.  I've been fighting with the Blue Screen of Death, Hard Drive extraction, a 'diskette drive 0 seek failure' [confused_ani] and system failing at checkpoint [WAKE] all weekend, [-forgottosave-]   so I'm not running on all thrusters. 

Judy
[9366]

[read3]