Author Topic: !!! Even Bigger Changes Ahead !!!  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: !!! Even Bigger Changes Ahead !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 05:51:16 PM »
The speed with which this site now flies is beautiful, even the search! Thanks as always! [snow_kiss]

Yes, one of the new features of the hosting switch is that the forum now has it's own dedicated IP. We're no longer at the mercy of sharing the same IP as 100 or more of our host's other customers.

I was actually blown away while I was setting up the forum's database on Friday because the process took forever on all of our past hosts, but especially with our last host because the database has grown to be over 100MB - but it took all of 30 seconds with our new host. It completed so quickly that at first I thought something had gone wrong with the setup, or that possibly I was dreaming (it was close to midnight when the setup took place). But, no, it was for real.  [snow_laugh]  [thumb]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »
It completed so quickly that at first I thought something had gone wrong with the setup, or that possibly I was dreaming (it was close to midnight when the setup took place). But, no, it was for real.
That must have been a neat moment - getting concrete evidence that all this work you were doing would give you what it was supposed to give.  The word made flesh.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »
That must have been a neat moment

Indeed it was.  [snow_happy]  In fact, the phrase most often repeated by Midnite and myself with regard to this hosting switch has been "We should've done this a long time ago."  [snow_wink]  (Especially considering how aggravated we'd gotten with our previous host's performance.) But that's what happens when, in better performance days, we'd foolishly resigned for a two year deal that wasn't going to expire until yesterday...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 09:25:29 PM »
What brilliant work, Mysterioso Dahling!  Even in IE, I'm noticing much better speed in navigating the boards on this new host.  Most excellent!

I keep wanting to ask about your new avatar, but then THE HORROR overwhelms me and I'm dumbstruck.

cheers, G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 08:43:29 AM »
I keep wanting to ask about your new avatar, but then THE HORROR overwhelms me and I'm dumbstruck.

Let's not kid ourselves, we ALL are.    But then so many people tell me I'm dumbstruck on a daily basis.    Anyway, the extent of the horror is almost inconceivable.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »
The good news in all this, though, is that after the switch the forum will have more than 10 times the Web storage space that it currently has and more than 3 times the allocated bandwidth that it currently has. Some of you may not have the vaguest idea what that means, but suffice it to say that it will allow us to introduce some new features as well as revive some older ones

Some of you have already commented on how much better the forum has been since the switch to our new host. And now that I've finally been able to catch up with the episodes/screen captures for the Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Year 2 board, I'm free to begin to look into some of those promised new features and returned older ones. So, don't be surprised to see some of them appearing in the coming days and weeks ahead.  ;)

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 01:56:18 PM »
Testing. New here.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 09:34:38 PM »
Quote from: Doug
New here.

Welcome, Doug!

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 10:10:53 AM »
Welcome, Doug!

Thanks Midnite! I remember watching DS when I was six years old. During the early 90's, I was buying the
series on VHS and it took me two years to finally collect them all. I was upset when NBC cancelled the
remake back in 1991. I believed NBC should have gave it another chance.