Author Topic: Movies "Thing That ..." & "Evening ... E.A. Poe" on AMC  (Read 880 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Movies "Thing That ..." & "Evening ... E.A. Poe" on AMC
« on: July 04, 2002, 04:53:57 AM »
Two movies of interest to some DS viewers are upcoming on AMC very soon ...

"The Thing That Couldn't Die" airs tonight (Wednesday) at 6:35 A.M. ET on AMC.

"An Evening with Edgar Allen Poe" airs at 5:20 A.M. ET on Saturday morning.

I requested that both of these be re-aired after I missed the beginning of both just a couple of months ago, and to my surprise, I've just discovered that they are re-airing now.

Now, if we can only get them to air "Berkeley Square" (recommended by Gothick as inspiration for 1795) or the remake "The House in the Square" ... Put in your request at AMC's site (go to "Contact Us").

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Movies "Thing That ..." & "Evening ... E.A. Poe" on AMC
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 12:23:32 AM »
I was able to see the Poe film this time.  "An Evening of Edgar Allen Poe" is a tour de force performance by Vincent Price, who dramatizes "The Tell-Tale Heart," "The Cask of Amontillado," "The Sphinx," and "The Pit and the Pendulum."

My admiration for Price grew by leaps and bounds as I was enthralled by his readings, which successfully conveyed the psychological power of Poe's writing.

I wish I could see Frid's performance of these, too.

If only Price had been cast to play Nicholas Blair, I might have been able to stomach this sequence of DS!

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 07:29:51 AM »
Ahh! you didn't tell me it was a film of vincent "master of creepiness" price reading poe's stories!  Quite honestly, i can't think of anyone better for the job (Between The Abominable Dr. Phibes and "the 13 ghosts of scooby doo", hes one of my favorite actors).  Well, thanks for letting me know that the thing even existed!

If only Price had been cast to play Nicholas Blair, I might have been able to stomach this sequence of DS!

I think he could have brought something to the proverbial "Dark Shadows Table" in any role.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2002, 04:04:11 AM »
Ahh! you didn't tell me it was a film of vincent "master of creepiness" price reading poe's stories!  Quite honestly, i can't think of anyone better for the job (Between The Abominable Dr. Phibes and "the 13 ghosts of scooby doo", hes one of my favorite actors).  Well, thanks for letting me know that the thing even existed!

Miles, I apologize.  I meant to explain a bit more about these movies in my original post, but it was "last call" at the computer lab where I was posting, and I barely got the post made at all!

There is some discrepancy in the title of the Price/Poe film.  AMC advertised it as "An Evening with Edgar Allen Poe," but when the film began, the title was actually "An Evening of Edgar Allen Poe."  I noticed that this was an American International production; the running time was under one hour, and I think I read somewhere that this was a TV production.

The term "reading" was not quite accurate.  This was actually a one-man show.  Price dramatized each of the stories; each was staged in a different setting with Price in a different costume appropriate to the story.  It looked like it may have been videotaped.  There was a very minimal but judicious use of props and action.

I think he could have brought something to the proverbial "Dark Shadows Table" in any role.

You're right.  My impression of Price up until recently was that he was an extraordinarily hammy actor, and he may well have been just as hammy in the Nicholas Blair role as Humbert Astredo (my apologies for getting his name wrong) -- in which case the casting wouldn't have been an "improvement" IMO.

But now that I've seen Price in several things where he gave more realistic performances, I'm also recognizing that Astredo (sorry again) might also have given "straight" performances.  He did tone down the Snidley Whiplash schtick in his later DS roles.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2002, 08:17:35 PM »
I finally got around to watching "The Thing That Couldn't Die," which should definitely be of interest to DS fans, as it could have been the inspiration for the "head of Judah Zachery" storyline.  The similarities are quite surprising.

Regards,

John