Author Topic: And Finally, A Name To Go With The Face!  (Read 280 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
And Finally, A Name To Go With The Face!
« on: April 11, 2022, 02:58:17 PM »
Hey, gang,

So, I’m looking at the photos of the scenes from DS episodes today, and I see Barnabas being harangued by that creepy Leviathan guy in episode number 915. And, the Leviathan is identified as being called: “Adlar.”

Wow, it’s been 53 years since that momentous DS first aired and I finally get a given name to associate with that “handsome” face! “Adlar” is apparently a German name, meaning “noble strength.” When I’ve seen this particular DS episode over the years, I’ve thought that “Adlar” might have been portrayed by the late, great Roy Scheider (of Orange, NJ), who was so great in “The French Connection” and in the “Jaws” films (although, the less said about “Jaws:The Revenge,” the better!).

But, no, “Adlar” was, in fact, portrayed by actor Pierrino Mascarino. (And, with a name like that, Mr. Mascarino would have been a natural in either “The Godfather” or “The Sopranos,” not to mention “The Montefuscos”!) Apparently, this one and only appearance on DS was one of Mr. Mascarino’s first screen roles; he later appeared on Broadway and also on many other television shows.

Of course DS Episode 915 also features the first and only appearance of the lovely and extremely talented stage and film actress, Marsha Mason, as Audrey, the Leviathan vampire girl. In the episode, Barnabas, in a dream sequence, puts the bite on Audrey on the Collinsport docks, outside of The Blue Whale (a favorite “imbibing spot” for Mr. B. over the centuries). Later, we find out that Audrey was another original Leviathan, summoned by “Adlar” to intimidate Barnabas and get him to play ball with them.

You know, after the treacherous Jeb Hawkes betrayed the Leviathans and Nicholas Blair at Jeb and Carolyn Stoddard’s “holy” marriage ceremony at the Leviathan altar, I’ve often wondered what happened to “Adlar,” Audrey, Mr. Strak, Haza, Oberon and the rest of the Leviathan gang? Is Mr. Strak now tending bar at the Kit-Kat Lounge in Portland, Maine? Are Haza and Oberon operating a Bed & Breakfast Inn in tony Bay Head, New
Jersey? And, are “Adlar” and Audrey, chilling out on the dock on Duval Street in Key West, Florida, entertaining all of the tourists as America’s “southernmost ghouls and goblins” as the sun is setting on that beautiful American vacation spot?  [easter_huh] [Bunny Eggs]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: And Finally, A Name To Go With The Face!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 06:28:55 PM »
Very interesting info, BtB - thanks for sharing it. [Bunny Thumb Up]

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 08:51:55 PM »
No problem, MB. I always wondered what that Leviathan’s name was and who actually portrayed the character in that memorable DS episode.

Oh, yeah, I happened to hear Marsha Mason on WOR-710 AM with Len Berman and Michael Riedel last week. Ms. Mason mentioned that she just turned eighty this month. Wow, it doesn’t seem all that long ago, that she portrayed Audrey, the the twenty-something vampire girl/Leviathan on DS. I thought the two radio show hosts would ask her about her appearance on DS, but no such luck.

Me. Mason lives in Connecticut and is currently starring and co-directing one of her late husband, Neil Simons plays, “Lost In Yonkers,” at the Hartford Stage. I thought UncleRoger might be interested in Ms. Mason’s performance in Hartford.

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 10:01:19 PM »
Thanks, Bob. I saw Marsha Mason and Michael T. Weiss in a play called Impressonism on Broadway about 12 or 13 years ago. I did to speak to them both after the play. They both had fond memories of their work on DS. Marsha was quite amused to be reminded of her day as a vampire.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 11:26:35 PM »
Uncle Roger,

Wow, that’s cool that you got to speak with Ms. Mason and Mr. Weiss about their appearances on DS and that they both have fond memories of the show.

I saw an interview with Michael Weiss and he said his first on-screen appearance was as one of the local guys, who are standing outside of that bar, when Richard Gere knocks that obnoxious guy out in “An Officer and a Gentleman.”

Years ago, I saw the off-Broadway show, “Moonchildren,” and the Playbill mentioned that Kenneth McMillan, one of the actors in the play, had previously appeared on “Dark Shadows.” I could not recall who Mr. McMillan had portrayed on the show. Several years later, when New Jersey Network started to air the original DS, I finally got to see Kenneth McMillan portray, once again, sailor Jack Long, a sailor in the Blue Whale, who tries to help the desperate Paul Stoddard with the “Naga” tattoo on his Paul’s wrist. (It didn’t work.)

Mr. McMillan also portrayed the friendly bartender in The Eagle, who speaks with a jittery Dr. Cyrus Longworth after John Yeager busts up the bar during the 1970 Parallel Time storyline.

Mr. McMillan also portrayed the nervous sheriff in the TV movie, “Salem’s Lot.” I loved his combination  “Down East/Flushing, Queens” accent. He reminded me of the late, great Bob O’Connell as Blue Whale bartender Bob  Rooney on DS.  [easter_cheesy] [easter_grin]

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 12:14:27 AM »
The versatile Mr. McMillan appeared on the last two seasons of Rhoda as her boss, Jack Doyle. Any resemblance between Doyle and Lou Grant was probably intentional.

[Bunny Eggs 2] [Colored Eggs] [Bunny Eggs 2]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 12:31:24 AM »
Well, I think it’s fair to say that neither of them was on Dr. Irwin Stillman’s Water Diet. (I don’t think Sheriff Paterson or Count Petofi ever tried the good Dr. Stillman’s Water Diet either.)