Author Topic: My First Dark Shadows Fest Ever Report!  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
My First Dark Shadows Fest Ever Report!
« on: August 06, 2005, 08:59:15 AM »
Part 01: July 29, 2005

Dark Shadows Hollywood Weekend, 2005

Arrival:

We arrived at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel in Hollywood California on Friday about 3 p.m. after driving around Burbank getting lost.  Finally, I found the freeway, took HWY 101 south to Hollywood and drove straight to the hotel.  Usually I plan much better than that but I guess we needed the adventure.  Thank god, I had my husband with me because he was able to keep me calm.  He was just enjoying himself [of course he wasn't doing the driving lol] and wanted me to too.  That's my babe!!

After we checked into the room, which was on the 15th floor [I took some photos of the view], we went to the 2nd floor where the festival was held all weekend.  Learning registration would open at 4 p.m., we went outside to find a place to have lunch.  Southwest doesn't feed you unless you count 1 oz peanut bags food!

"Schedule of Events" for Friday:

4:00 p.m.      Registration Opens
6:00             Convention Opens
6:30             Dark Shadows Special
7:00             The DS Women-Guests: Lara Parker, Marie Wallace
                   and Diana Millay [Kathleen Cody was scheduled but she
                   was sick so didn't make it.]
8:00             DS At the Movies-Guests: John Karlen and Kathryn
                   Leigh Scott [Nancy Barrett was scheduled but didn't make
                   it to this.]
9:00             Autograph Session/Movie: House of Dark Shadows
10:45           Jonathan Frid Video
11:00           Movie: Grave Secrets, starring David Selby
12:30 a.m.    Late Move:  Son of Frankenstein

I did not attend everything on Friday.  One thing I found out, and other regular festival goers know already, times are subject to change.  I'll tell you I wasn't expecting to get any autographs, not my thing, but I found myself ending up with five: David Selby, John Karlen, Lara Parker, Marie Wallace and Kathryn Leigh Scott.  When the autograph lines start forming, the times of the events are moved all around [they are very flexible with their timetables I noticed!].

I found the Dealers' Room and had a field day.  I bought Karlenzine III, a fanfic publication; David Selby's book, "In and Out Of the Shadows"; Marie Wallace's book, "On Stage & In Shadows"; Kathryn Leigh Scott's "Dark Shadows Memories on DVD" and another book with the original scripts of HODS and NODS; Christopher Pennock's first comic book, and believe it or not, my husband bought a DS t-shirt and a fanny-pack.  I hope this trip sparked interest in DS but I know he enjoyed himself and loved meeting all the stars!

Right now I can't remember what the stars said on stage.  There were Q&A and I actually got my nerve up and asked a question.  It was difficult since I kept hearing my voice "scream" back at me from the huge speakers they had but I asked Lara Parker about her black wig, how she felt about it.  She said "They wanted it so she wore it."  Then I asked if the slap Grayson Hall gave her was real?  Well, LP didn't remember that scene but everyone else did!  We had to remind her who slapped her and if it was real.  She said that they don't really hit each other but come very close and then the sound effects person makes the slap sound.  I knew that's what they did but I still swear it "LOOKED" and "SOUNDED" real!

Meeting the fans:

It's hard to sit for hours so we left a few times and walked around, saw the stars signing autographs and looked in the dealers' room.  I met AngeliqueWins on Saturday and The Ghost of Sarah on the first day.  Lovely ladies!  I also met several fine ladies from the WillieLoomis list: DJ, Anastasia, Christina, Mary and Lorraine; and Marcy Robins who writes the Shadowgram [she was on stage one day too and talked about the beginnings of the festivals and her publication].  Great publication by the way for anyone interested in getting the "official" word on DS, behind the scenes!

My husband and I were sitting, waiting, and watching videos while the autograph line wound around the main hall and out into the main hallway for fans to meet, chat, receive photos and autographs from their favorite stars.  Since it took a long time, the program was 2 hours late on Saturday.  We sat near a man who wore a costume [vampire but not Barnabas Collins, he said] for that night's costume party.  We all got to talking and we found out the man is a member of my group, "DS Good and Bad", which shocked us both!  Daniel, please stand up. LOL He also lives near us in Northern California.  I believe he said he had a great time and it was his first festival too.  Maybe he'll post something about his time at the costume party or the weekend. [No pressure mind you]  It was great fun making new friends.

[Part 2 Saturday next...]

~Jackie~
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My First Dark Shadows Fest Ever Report!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 09:02:49 AM »
Part 02: July 30, 2005

Here's the written "Schedule of Events" for Saturday: [Times were off by two hours and some events were never held because of the time]

11:00 a.m.      DS Fan Videos
11:30             DS On King Of Queens
12:00 p.m.      Remembering Dennis Patrick, Don Briscoe,
                     Anthony George and Dana Elcar
1:00               DS Memorabilia Charity Auction
2:00               The Music of DS-Guest: Robert Cobert
2:30                DS At The Movies II-Guests: David Selby,
                      Chris Pennock. Lara Parker and Darren Gross
3:30                DS' Hollywood Star: Joan Bennett-Guests: Brian Kellow,
                      Diana Anderson and June Lockhart
4:30               World Premiere Stage Drama-Dark Shadows:
                     Vengeance At Collinwood
5:15               Autograph Session/DS Star Movie Trailers
6:00               Dark Shadows Bloopers
7:00               Dark Shadows Screening-Host: Mark Dawidziak
8:00               Collinsport Players Skit I
8:30               Dark Shadows Costume Party-Complimentary Refreshments
9:30               Movie: Night Of Dark Shadows
11:15             Movie: Suspiria, starring Joan Bennett
1:00 a.m.        Late Movie: The Picture Of Dorian Gray

Saturday was a LONG day for everyone!  I did not attend everything mentioned above but I did see the DS pilot screening!  I wish every DS fan could see it because we could discuss it for hours.  Here are my impressions of it:
My thoughts on the WB pilot:  [I enjoyed it, saw some strengths and some weaknesses...] (contains spoilers)

I also saw the tribute to Joan Bennett.  Her eldest daughter, Diana Anderson, and special guest, June Lockhart, spoke about JB in addition to a home video tribute on JB's 70th birthday.  June Lockhart read from Brian Kellow's biography of our fine actress.

The Premiere Stage Drama-Dark Shadows: Vengeance At Collinwood was wonderful!!  Jerry Lacy was in this one, playing Tony Peterson and Trask!! I will not tell you much about this because I think eventually it'll come out on CD.  I would recommend it since it was a great drama!

I also saw Collinsport Players Skit I "My Fair Julia" and it was hilarious! The woman who is ProfStokes online was in the story along with Diane who's a member of several Yahoo DS groups!  They were great on stage.  I believe Diane played Mrs. Johnson and ProfStokes was Carolyn 2 and Vicki.  Someone else played Carolyn first, and then ProfStokes stepped in.  It was a great comedy.

By the time the costume party started it was 2 hours late so I didn't stick around for that or the movies.

[part 3 Sunday next]

~Jackie~

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 09:04:59 AM »
Part 03: July 31, 2005

On Sunday, the scheduled events listed in brochure were:

11:00 a.m.    DS Information Fan Panel
11:30           Dan Curtis Tribute
12:30 p.m.    DS Comics On State-Guest: Chris Pennock
1:00             Collinsport Players Skit II
1:30             On Stage & In Shadows-Guest: Marie Wallace
2:00             DS Hollywood Starlet-Guest: Diana Millay
2:30             Designing Shadows-Guest; Sy Tomashoff
3:00             Q&A Guests: Geoffrey Scott, Robert Rodan,
                   and Kathleen Cody
3:30             Nancy Barrett's Oh, To Be A Movie Star!
4:15             DS Recollections-Guests: David Selby, Kathryn Leigh
                   Scott, Lara Parker, John Karlen and Jerry Lacy
5:00             Autograph Session
7:00             Banquet Dinner With the Stars (by advance registration only)
9:00             Goodnight

I was in and out of the main auditorium all day, watching bits and pieces of events when I wasn't visiting with others.  I did see and enjoy Marie Wallace's time on stage.  She was just wonderful!  She talked about her book, answered some questions from fans and told a story of the time she worked on the play JF directed.  The tribute to Diana Millay was on her career showing clips from her various movies and TV appearances.  Did you know she worked on a Tarzan movie?  It was new to me.  She loved being with animals and so enjoyed the westerns most, she said.

Several times, my husband and I met David Selby sitting at his table.  He is SO sweet.  All the stars were very patient with the events and fans. All the ones I met were very friendly and happy to talk for a few minutes before moving the line along, one reason why it took so long for the lines to move.  No one seemed to complain, much. J  If I saw their table null of people, I went to talk to them for a minute or two.

The banquet was the highlight for me on Sunday.  My husband and I were fortunate to be able to sit at John Karlen's table and talk with several fans who also love JK.  Such lovely people!  JK was great, very down-to-earth and personable.  He is very straightforward and holds not punches!  He seems very relaxed around the fans, and loves to greet them. On Monday morning, we had the privilege of riding the elevator down to the lobby with JK when we were leaving the hotel.

That's about all folks.  If I remember more, I'll just have to add it in separate messages.

~Jackie~

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 04:40:29 PM »
I asked Lara Parker about her black wig, how she felt about it.  She said "They wanted it so she wore it."  Then I asked if the slap Grayson Hall gave her was real?  Well, LP didn't remember that scene but everyone else did!  We had to remind her who slapped her and if it was real.  She said that they don't really hit each other but come very close and then the sound effects person makes the slap sound.  I knew that's what they did but I still swear it "LOOKED" and "SOUNDED" real!

Lara Parker has said she remembers nothing of her time as Cassandra, which I find incredibly disappointing.   :-   She has told fans she remembers nothing about her appearance in The Rockford Files, too, and she also had some great scenes in that opposite James Garner.

Didn't KLS look great as a blonde?

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 07:48:42 PM »
Several times, my husband and I met David Selby sitting at his table.  He is SO sweet.

;D  [hello]   ;D

"Get LOST Connie"

"Okay..."
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 08:31:47 PM »
I also saw the tribute to Joan Bennett.  Her eldest daughter, Diana Anderson, and special guest, June Lockhart, spoke about JB in addition to a home video tribute on JB's 70th birthday.  June Lockhart read from Brian Kellow's biography of our fine actress.

I really enjoyed June Lockhart .. I remember Bill Mumy's stories about what a rock'n roller she is.. and had David Bowie posters in her rooms (bedroom or dressing room I don't remember) .. Mumy said anytime he went to hear a new/edgy band.  .June had already been there. . ! LOL!  Not what one expects when thinking of Lassie or the Lost in Space Mom . ..she was quite gracious too --trying several times to indicate that a crying baby needed to be taken from the room during her JB reading . .then she finally had to ask directly . .that was too bad and embarassing for her but sheesh . .what happened to folks knowing that their crying babies should be taken outside? [angel10]

All i can say is i hope i'm that spry at 80!  [band]
Julia99

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 09:46:32 PM »
I thought June Lockhart really kept her looks up.  She was a beauty and read the passages quite lovingly.  Her love for Joan really shined as did her daughter, Diana Anderson.  It was great having this event even though it went too long and messed up the schedule for the entire day.  It was a divine tribute.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 12:29:47 AM »
Didn't KLS look great as a blonde?

They all looked marvelous!!  This was a great first experience for me and husband!