Author Topic: "Friendly Ghosts" reported at Lockwood-Mathews Mansion  (Read 6986 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
"Friendly Ghosts" reported at Lockwood-Mathews Mansion
« on: October 13, 2006, 03:59:31 AM »
Posted today on the Shadows list by Emily:

Historical house might have spirits, but not haunted
October 7, 2006

Afterlife may be imitating art at Norwalk's Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum.

More than 30 years after the landmark appeared in the vampire movies "House of Dark Shadows" and "Night of Dark Shadows," paranormal investigators reported finding spirits last month at the historic mansion. ...

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: "Friendly Ghosts" reported at Lockwood-Mathews Mansion
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 04:07:13 AM »
Ever notice how ghost hunters are like termite inspectors? They always manage to find exactly what they're looking for.  [hall2_wink]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 05:45:45 AM »
I must raise my hand as a semi-retired (unwillingly due to location) ghost hunter. And I can say that our group never ever always found what we were looking for. There were lots of nights that we sat in the cold pitch black and caught nothing at all.

Orbs drive me absolutely CRAZY! There are TOO many things they could be, dust, moisture, crap on the lens.... Out of all the nights we went out (usually two of my sisters, my 9 year old neice, some friends and I) there was only 1 night where we caught something totally unexplainable. We were in a HUGE old cemetery in Newburyport, Mass. We were in the back of the cemetery by some trees at the bottom of a little hill on a dirt road, near a huge old crypt. There were 13+ of us that night. Out of nowhere suddenly issues this blood chilling scream, it went on for a good 30 seconds or more. It was completely audible to EVERYONE present as half the group scattered back to the cars. My sisters, neice and I and one other person stood at the bottom of that hill after the screaming was over and listened but there was not another sound.

I have never heard anything like it before or since. We had been to that graveyard several times before, but not to that section. A return trip the next day lead us down a little dirt path into the woods where a series of old forgotten shipwreck victims graves lay.

Here is the audio clip: http://www.hollowmoon.net/pics/scream.wav 5.37 megs

I swear that this audio clip is real, it was not fabricated in any way. We had this clip on tape recorder and more than one camera equipped with night vision. Since moving to Maine we haven't done any investigations, though we have been invited by friends of my Father to spend the night in a huge old Captain's house turned B&B where they routinely hear someone fall down the back servants steps that lead to the kitchen, an old woman has been spotted, something sat on the bed of the husband while he was taking a nap, and something kicked the family dog so hard it cracked it's ribs and absolutely refused to go into the house after that incident, retreating to the adjoining carriage house. We might take them up on their offer this winter, I'll let you know if we catch anything  [hall_grin]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »
The link didn't work, Arashi!  And I'm "dying" to hear it! [female_skull]

Gerard

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »
The link didn't work, Arashi!  And I'm "dying" to hear it!

Me too!  :(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 03:11:30 PM »
Oooo, how cool (both Midnite and arashi)!  [hall2_shocked] I'm so hooked on those ghost hunting shows these days my sister thinks I've actually gone over to the dark side.  I enjoy seeing the places they go in England but, overall I'm not much for "Most Haunted" (mainly because I think Derek Acorah is a phony baloney). But I love "Ghost Hunters" with the TAPS guys and, even though it's a bit goofy, I enjoy watching "Dead Famous" once in awhile.

...and something kicked the family dog so hard it cracked it's ribs and absolutely refused to go into the house after that incident, retreating to the adjoining carriage house.

Any spirit that would attack a dog needs to have its ectoplasmic bum kicked followed by a severe exorcism!!!

We might take them up on their offer this winter, I'll let you know if we catch anything  [hall_grin]
I'd be very interested to hear what you find! Good luck and be careful (I just finished a book about the career of Ed and Lorraine Warren so, I'm a bit spooked at the moment  [hall2_shocked] )
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:46:23 PM »
The link should work now, sorry! I had an extra letter in there. The screaming sounds like it was in the background somewhere on the audio clip, but in real life it was EXTREMELY loud and VERY close.

Ah Ghost Shows! I love Most Haunted, but I agree with you about Derek. I'm not sure what to make of him, early on (I have the boxset of Season 1) he's eerily accurate, but in the later episodes everything becomes devil worshippers and such. David Wells, another medium they bring on, is, I think, spot on all the time. I'm always impressed with his work.

Ghost Hunters is a good show as well, I really like their scientific approach to things. I catch Dead Famous when I can, though I'm not too sure about their medium as well.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 04:50:36 PM »
The link should work now, sorry! I had an extra letter in there. The screaming sounds like it was in the background somewhere on the audio clip, but in real life it was EXTREMELY loud and VERY close.

OMG!  That's pretty damn scary!!  Are you sure it wasn't someone playing w/you all, like someone who saw you in the cemetary and they decided to have a litle fun?  Ghost or real, it's pretty bone chilling and I woulda been one of the folks dashing for the car! 
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 04:56:15 PM »
I catch Dead Famous when I can, though I'm not too sure about their medium as well.
The thing about Chris Flemming and Derek both (IMO) is that they tend to jump in way too fast. I'm sure it could just appear this way at times due to editing.  Not knowing anything about it from personal experience, it would seem that they would need to collect their thoughts a little. Derek also drives me nuts with his tendency to somehow find a spirit named John in nearly every haunted house in the UK.  I know it's a common name but pahleez! I think he needs to get his spirit guide Sam a baby name book for Christmas.

Funny this topic came up - I've had the old mansions (and surrounding grounds) on my mind all day.  Probably because I just started reading "The Salem Branch" yesterday afternoon.  It was a perfect day for it too...leaves starting to change and very mid-October windy and gloomy outside.
[hall2_shocked]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 05:03:48 PM »
Pardon this being so OT but...

I happened to notice that arashi's posts are exactly 666 and this is Friday the 13th.  Not that I'm superstitious but...

ARASHI PLEASE POST AGAIN BEFORE THE DAY IS OUT
 [hall2_shocked] [hall2_wink]
[/size][/color]
 [/b]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 05:34:56 PM »
I happened to notice that arashi's posts are exactly 666 and this is Friday the 13th.

Whoa!

I just started reading "The Salem Branch" yesterday afternoon.  It was a perfect day for it too...leaves starting to change and very mid-October windy and gloomy outside. [hall2_shocked]

Yes, PERFECT, because you'll be reading a lot about swirling leaves.   [hall2_tongue]

I have no doubt that a summer home of my sister's is haunted.  She sleeps in the 1st floor bedroom, my kids won't stay overnight because the most vivid reports have come from young people, and the family pets refuse to go upstairs.  We know it was built by Cecil B. DeMille to host parties during filming, and about subsequent owners, but have no idea how to proceed in learning more about the ghost or ghosts.  If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear from you in PM or email!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 05:36:25 PM »
Oh there is at least one spirit there at the Mansion.  I tend to be a skeptical person but a direct encounter with said spirit left no doubt in my mind as to what it was.  

Nancy

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 05:38:51 PM »
Afterlife may be imitating art at Norwalk's Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum.

More than 30 years after the landmark appeared in the vampire movies "House of Dark Shadows" and "Night of Dark Shadows," paranormal investigators reported finding spirits last month at the historic mansion. ...

I don't trust any reporter who thinks Night of Dark Shadows was shot at Lockwood-Mathews!  [hall2_grin] [hall2_wink]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 06:04:05 PM »
I don't trust any reporter who thinks Night of Dark Shadows was shot at Lockwood-Mathews! 

I thought that was erroneous too!  I can tell you that for sure Seaview is haunted.  That place gets downright CREEPY at night!  The hair on the back of your neck will rise up and NO ONE would go anywhere in the house alone after dark, not even the guys!   [hall2_shocked]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 06:10:50 PM »
She sleeps in the 1st floor bedroom, my kids won't stay overnight because the most vivid reports have come from young people, and the family pets refuse to go upstairs.
This goes right along with some things I read in the book about Ed and Lorraine Warren (The Demonologist). Lorraine was referred to as a "light trance clairvoyant/medium" and she stated that children and animals are naturally clairvoyant (children mostly up to about 12 according to her). 
We know it was built by Cecil B. DeMille to host parties during filming, and about subsequent owners, but have no idea how to proceed in learning more about the ghost or ghosts.  If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear from you in PM or email!
The Warrens had some suggestions in the book depending on the kind of problems/occurrences.  They included getting in touch with clergy (in cases of darker malevolent spirits) or a reputable parapsychology group.  I suppose you might find something through a university.  Ed Warren recently passed away and Lorraine is fairly up there in years so, she may be out of the business of tracking down spirits.  They were kind of pioneers in the field as I understand it and involved in several high profile cases throughout the last 30+ years. Some don't care for their approach but, I thought they had kind of an unusual bent on the whole process.

Oh there is at least one spirit there at the Mansion.  I tend to be a skeptical person but a direct encounter with said spirit left no doubt in my mind as to what it was.
Nancy, if you don't mind my asking - who, what, and when?