Author Topic: OT: ABC's The Gates  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
OT: ABC's The Gates
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »
If ABC's promos for The Gates (premiering on the 20th at 9pm ET) have intrigued you, check out question #7: Mega Buzz

(And question #2 gives some hints about the upcoming season of True Blood)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
Re: OT: ABC's The Gates
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
in the new issue of TV GUIDE, JUNE 21ST-JULY 4TH, Matt Roush states that THE GATES is like DARK SHADOWS in a ritzy gated community but is rarely as scary as it wants to be.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 02:19:41 AM »
However, The Gates does make Matt's Picks: June 18-20 on tvguide.com.

The Web site also has a link to ABC's 17 minute sneak peek video: First Look at The Gates!. It got me more intrigued than I already was by the promos (and I'm really curious to see how they'll explain how their vamps are easily able to be withstand sunlight at times but not at others)...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
Just out of sheer curiosity, I watched the promo.  The main vampire couple do seem intriguing, but otherwise it seemed a lot like those old Aaron Spelling shows with lashings of Dawson's Creek territory thrown in for the teen angst set.

MB, it seemed as if the vampires have invented a form of Vampire Sun-block, from one scene I saw in the sneak preview.

I somehow doubt whether this will last very long; surely at this point in the scheme of things, the vampire market is, for lack of a better word, glutted?

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:41:06 PM »
The main vampire couple do seem intriguing

Apparently there are also werewolves and witches and "other mystical creatures." The preview introduced at least one of the characters who falls into one of those categories - but it didn't actually reveal that yet. The only reason I know is because of some of the promo photos I've seen...

MB, it seemed as if the vampires have invented a form of Vampire Sun-block, from one scene I saw in the sneak preview.

It did seem as if that might be the case. I do doubt that she was simply moisturizing after her shower.  ;)  But we shall see...

I somehow doubt whether this will last very long; surely at this point in the scheme of things, the vampire market is, for lack of a better word, glutted?

I'm not expecting it to last beyond the summer, though not because of any possible vampire glut, but because ABC has terrible luck with their summer shows. I can't even think of the last one that went on to become a regular series. But I do suspect it'll be a pleasant summer diversion while it lasts.  :)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:03:14 AM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 08:24:19 AM »
I will definately give it a try
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
I plan on giving it a try.  Also, I've been watching 'Happy Town'.  It started off a little slowly then it went off the air, now it's back and the pace has picked up considerably.  I really like the govt cop character.  He's got to have a story to tell!  I really like Sam Neil's character too.  His courting of Mrs Haplin is very enchanting and his ulterior motives are really going to be something when we find out IMO.  It was really scarry with the two kids in the trailor that suddenly is being towed down the highway. How the junkyard characters fit in will be interesting. What a group of characters they are!  The storylines are fast paced but may be a little too busy for alot of people.  My one major complaint is that we need to see more of the day to day operations of what's going on at the main bakery plant and how it fits into the storyline and the 'Magic Man'.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
'The Gates' premiere: Don't be afraid to enter

Excerpts:

We think it's a good summer TV bet. It takes the parody of "Desperate Housewives" and mixes it with the supernatural soap opera of "The Vampire Diaries." And that's not a bad mix in our opinion.

You may be all too ready to dismiss what looks like another offshoot of the current "Twilight" craze. And while it's probably true that the show may have never seen the light of day without Bella and Edward, the social parody makes it more than just another vampire show.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
More like Kindred the Embraced than anything else--too many characters and interrelationships for an hour show.  Still not clear why vampires would need a gated community.  To keep their potential prey on the property?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »
Star says ‘Gates’ opens new door in vampire lore
(References DS twice)

And check out question #8: Mega Buzz
(Question #5 is about True Blood)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 09:45:56 PM »
It's always great to hear DS talked about in the media! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »
Sounds intriguing. Sorry I missed the first episode. But I'm sorta boycotting ABC after they canceled Eastwick, then didn't play one of the key episodes at all and generally treated it shabbily towards the end of its run.