Author Topic: "lemon or cream?"  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: "lemon or cream?"
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:31 PM »
People who can't take as well as dish out sarcastic humor and insults have no place in our family.[ghost_wink]

As well it should be.  [wink2]

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:40 AM »
Since you're discussing the fashion highs (and lows) of the young women on Dark Shadows, I'd like to acknowledge the "rakish" fashion style of Blue Whale bartender Bob Rooney; Bob looked absolutely fabulous in his trademark L.L. Bean flannel shirts, imho.  I particularly admire Bob's black and green Black Watch tartan flannel shirt, the epitome of down east sartorial splendor, and that shirt also brings out the bright (or bloodshot?) luster in Bob's limpid Irish eyes!

And after having seen Vicki and Maggie enjoying a sedate afternoon tea at Collinwood, wouldn't  you also have enjoyed seeing Jason McGuire and Jason's new buddy, Bob Rooney, enjoying a few shots of Johnnie Walker Black in the drawing room of Collinwood, and "regaling" everyone in the great house with a rousing rendition of "If You're Irish, Come Into the Parlor"?   [beer] [banana] [banana2]

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 04:56:31 AM »
 [thumbleft]
I would have loved to see that Bob. I think you should round out the guest
list though. At least invite Sam Evans.
                                                      [drunk22]

[a2a3]

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 05:15:51 AM »
Julianka7,

Ah, yes, the great Sam Evans or as Sam was probably known at the Blue Whale as:

"The Veritable Bottomless Pit!" [ghost_rolleyes] [ghost_grin]

Bob the Bartender, confirmed O'Doul's imbiber! [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 06:17:05 AM »
but i do think that as an afternoon drama,with advertisers of such housewife friendly products as toothpaste and laundry detergent,the producers made a decision to attire the girls like proper young ladies rather than 'hippies' or members of the counter culture percolating at the time.

True. Plus (and we've gotten into this in the past with why Barnabas would never have been seen wearing a leisure suit ([yikes]) and why David would never have been seen wearing jeans, a T-shirt, and/or sneakers), the Collinses breeding would have dictated that they be "properly" attired at all times (well, except in extremely rare instances, like when Carolyn was rebelling against Liz because of Jason- but even she was quick to fall back into the fold once that was all settled). And by extension Vicki would have been expected to dress similarly. And Maggie would have known what sort of attire was expected of her when paying a social visit to the mansion. None of them would have been parading around Collinwood as if it was Haight-Ashbury - or even Carnaby Street.  [ghost_grin]  (David's nehru jacket was about as wild as we were ever likely to see - but note that we saw it once and never again.  [ghost_wink])

Another thing to probably consider is that all soap towns during DS' run tended to be on the conservative side with families, even the not so well-to-do ones, being set in their ways. Anyone showing up in any one of them looking like they belonged in Haight-Ashbury would have been run out of town on a rail!  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline verusselle

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »
(David's nehru jacket was about as wild as we were ever likely to see - but note that we saw it once and never again.  [ghost_wink])
Another thing to probably consider is that all soap towns during DS' run tended to be on the conservative side with families, even the not so well-to-do ones, being set in their ways. Anyone showing up in any one of them looking like they belonged in Haight-Ashbury would have been run out of town on a rail!  [ghost_cheesy]

Sebastian Shaw looked like he stepped right out of Haight-Ashbury, and came dressed that way to Collinwood.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 07:09:19 PM »
Well, the distinction with Sebastian was that he was a pyschic - someone from the fringes of "accepted society" - and some small leeway (though not much) would have been granted to the "eccentric" who could supposedly provide a valuable service - and that service would be the only reason Sebastian's mode of dress would be tolerated.  [ghost_wink]  But honestly, if one looks at what people really wore (or didn't wear) at Haight-Ashbury, as opposed to what TV shows depicted them as wearing, Sebastian's "threads" were conservative by comparison - he was dressed as an establishment version of anti-establishment. No doubt the real anti-establishment got a good laugh from his clothes - particularly his accessories - some of which probably looked to many in the audience like they were better suited for a science fiction character.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 08:34:23 PM »
Pennock looked Beyond Super Groovy in those tight, TIGHT leather trousers... Go Not, Happy Day!

I seem to recall that when Jeb first showed up I (then age 11) thought "he's supposed to be a hippie, but they gave him totally the wrong clothes."

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 08:53:25 PM »
"he's supposed to be a hippie, but they gave him totally the wrong clothes."

Exactly!  [ghost_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 02:01:24 AM »
You know, being hippie-ish was pretty unacceptable in most places, not just TV... that's what all those family arguments were about... well, that and the war.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor