Author Topic: OT - Sandy Storm  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT - Sandy Storm
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »
Since there's a high concentration of our DS Cousins on east coast, how about a check-in (sad, this reminds me of the time after 9/11, right after the Fest...)

Patti
 [skelleton_runs]
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Sandy Storm
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »
so far so good here in brooklyn patti...

i was fortunate in that i did not lose power or internet/phone service. many did. and i'm far enough inland that i was not effected by flooding.

still there will be no subway service apparently for several days. my workplace is closed for the day but the rest of the week would be a wildcard in terms of getting to and fro.

what i did lose for several hours was television signals. so i took it as an opportunity to watch a few episodes of DS. [hall_wink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »
Today it's hard to believe that there was a storm yesterday because the sky is blue with barely a cloud in it and the sun is shining beautifully.  [hall2_smiley]

However, yesterday was a very different story, with mandatory evacuations in low lying areas of the city. And that was a very smart thing for them to have ordered because due to the storm surge the local river overran its banks - as high as 2 feet in some sections - and that's something that has never happened in my lifetime. And there are over 110 thousand people without power - though obviously I'm not one of them. Thankfully yesterday I only lost power for about 20 seconds and access to the Internet for about a minute. I count myself very lucky.

Not so lucky, and of probable interest to DS fans, is that Newport, RI was hit really hard. Apparently many trees fell down in the vicinity of Seaview (taking power lines with them), and several roads in the area are closed/impassable because there's so much debris/devastation. Reports say it could be days before some roads are reopened and power is restored. And reports like that definitely make one wonder how Seaview itself fared...

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »
I'm in the DC suburbs in Maryland, and things are okay here.  The lights flickered for awhile last night but I never lost power, thank goodness.  I work for the Federal Government, which was closed yesterday and today, but since I work in a patient care department, I was called into work today.  It has mostly stopped raining and there is no wind to speak of, and all the traffic lights on my route were working.  I only saw a couple of tree limbs down.  I'm very lucky.  I know it was MUCH worse in other areas, and my thoughts are with them and hoping they will make it through okay.  I just visited Atlantic City about a month ago, and was sad to hear that some of the boardwalk was lost there (and in other NJ and NY shore areas).

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »
Not bad here in north central Mass. I did have to go into work and driving was a bit tricky, but the storm just kind of mellowed out around nine P.M. Beautiful day today.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 08:23:27 PM »
Things are fine here in the nutmeg state. I never lost power, phone or Internet. Many other areas, including some less than 1/4 of mile from me are still without electricity. Lots of trees are down but it could have been much, much worse.

MB's report on Newport makes me wonder about the group of fans that went up for the weekend. Cell phone and Internet service from Seaview is erratic at the best of times, so I suppose I'll have to be extra patient.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »
Hi  all things  are fine here in the  Binghamton  Area  we only got  rain and some  wind.
                             Love  Anne 
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 03:00:03 AM »
Way, way here in eastern Wisconsin (yes, the border did stretch that far) we had cloudy skies and the winds.  At least I get to say I was in a "hurricane."  That's rare.  Usually, we're fleeing from tornadoes.

I'm glad everyone's okay!

Gerard

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
Im okay on Staten Island -- no injuries or damage, but there is so much devestation here on the Island.  it's very sad.  up to 10 deaths and many people missing.  Sad part is a woman who lost her two sons, aged 2 and 4 as her SUV was swept away after she got out of it.  They found the SUV but no children and they as of now still missing.   A thirteen year old girl was killed and her father missing and mother found floating on a raft in critical condition (I suspect he put her on the raft and maybe tried to go back for the daughter).  They didn't evacuate because last year when Irene came they did and their house was robbed.  The house collapsed on them.  People have lost houses and business here.  Same as in Jersey and Rockaway.   Just so sad and devestating.   We take life so much for granted.   Prayers and patience is needed. 

I will not be returning to work until Monday, best case.  No power in Lower Manhattan.  As I am a temp, I will not get paid for my days out.  I am hoping they will give me disaster pay.  But in the grand scheme of things, it's okay if they don't.

I was alone in my house as my housemate was out at work and it was very creepy and nerveracking.  I was constantly walking around checking things out and then going back to the basement, where I felt safe. 

I am going to take the next few days to go through my clothes and other things to donate to my fellow Islanders. 

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »
Willie Loomis...I heard about the 2 children.... [hall2_cry]

I'm very grateful you're okay.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Patti
What a Woman!