Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0998  (Read 756 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0998
« on: October 17, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
Robservations #998

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0998

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:11:30 PM »
Buffie VO?  I noticed here that the piece of film used in the opening theme, of the DS letters twisting in the wind, has undergone a lot of wear by now. 

I wonder if Quentin or Sabrina thought Yaeger might be a male prostitute Cyrus was patronizing.  Quentin and Alexique have fallen into a habit of hugging very easily.  [spoiler]It would have made for a strange, interesting "triangle", if she had turned out to be Angelique, luring Q in, by pretending to be her nicer twin sister.  After Q marries "Alexis", Ang reveals self... Or was that the obvious course that we were meant to expect?[/spoiler]

Dameon finds Bruno in his new room.  Ghosts can operate a mirror's zoom function.  Q again talks to Jennifer Evans on the phone... why couldn't it have been PT Sam on the phone?  We end this ep with the latest choking du jour, this time of Alexis by Bruno.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:14:45 AM »
I notice the door to Cryus' lab which was originally not used much is the man in entrance now and has a bolt latch on the outside.
Bruno is in constant hysterics while,Damian appears in his mirror and the room burrs into flames. Cyrus tells him to beat it out. Apparently calling the fire department isn't normal I'm PT.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »
Yup, Lisa Richards VO per DS Wiki.

Quentin and Yaeger argue about Cyrus's check. Yaeger calls Quentin's bluff and tells him to call the police. Quentin starts to dial. While he’s distracted, Yaeger runs back out, locks the door from the outside (?) and takes the antidote, which somehow has ended up in his pocket. Sabrina (who has never seen Yaeger--yet) comes down, and Quentin explains the situation. She provides a key to unlock the door, and the two of them look for Yaeger in the passage, but he is long gone. (It's a very small bottle).

Quentin and Sabrina speculate about the Cyrus-Yaeger connection. Cyrus appears and absolutely must confirm that he gave Yaeger a key to his lab. Sabrina opines that Yaeger sounds awful! Cyrus warns her to stay away from him. Bruno comes rushing down the stairs, demanding to talk to Cyrus. Sabrina goes upstairs, and Bruno asks, Do you remember Damian Edwards? Yes, Cyrus replies dismissively, that playboy friend of Angelique’s? Where is he? He died, Bruno says flatly. I’ve seen his ghost at Collinwood. He begs Cyrus to exorcise the ghost. Why don’t you ask Hannah Stokes? Cyrus asks. Bruno says she refused. There’s no guarantee of success, Cyrus warns him. Please at least give it a try, Bruno pleads. Cyrus reluctantly agrees to think it over, and even this much makes Bruno greatly relieved.

Back at Collinwood, Alexis is quite happy that Quentin has returned. I don’t like being alone in the house, she tells him, and Trask is no help. There haven’t been any more disturbances, but their absence is even more frightening. The house is quiet, like the calm before the storm. Alexis fears they are all doomed. Quentin holds her.

Like any proper ghost, Dameon isn't confined to one place and appears in the mirror in Bruno's guest room, laughing mockingly. (The image bobs up and down a bit at first.) The image gets bigger and bigger, and Bruno finally cracks. Damian’s image and laughter fade, but Bruno screams at him, Stop it! Stop it! He turns to run out of the room, but a fire mysteriously starts (another favorite trick of Collinwood ghosts), blocking his path to the door. Bruno hollers for help. Cyrus hears him, and eventually they manage to put the fire out. Cyrus asks Bruno how it happened. He started the fire! He’s trying to kill me! Bruno gasps as they beat the flames down. Cyrus takes Bruno back downstairs for a drink.

Quentin serves Alexis a drink, too, at Collinwood. He suggests she stay in town, but she refuses to leave. I intend to fight whatever is plaguing the house, she declares. Delicately she asks, Have you heard from Maggie? No, he replies sadly. I’ll call her this evening--if she’ll speak to me. I’m going to ask her to come back. Moving closer to him, Alexis says, I’m worried that Maggie will react to me the same way as before. I hope not, Quentin replies. His infatuation gets the better of him again as he unconsciously leans in toward her. Alexis is the first to realize how close they are and decides to go upstairs, but she practically whispers goodnight.

Down in the lab, Bruno clutches his drink, still nervous. You can’t help me, he tells Cyrus resignedly. I thought I would be safe away from Collinwood (Cyrus lives in town) but now I know I can't escape Damian. Angelique brought Damian back, he decides. Cyrus is frustrated with Bruno’s obsession, but Bruno says, She has come back to avenge her murder. Are you her murderer? Cyrus asks him. No! Bruno insists, but Angelique thinks I am--maybe that’s why she’s trying to drive me insane. You should leave Collinsport for a rest, Cyrus suggests. I can’t run away from it, Bruno replies. The only thing to do is have a direct showdown with Angelique. Cyrus points out that he’s already had one, but Bruno insists, No, no, no, this is going to be a final showdown! Because now it has gotten to a point where it is her survival or mine! He runs upstairs and out of the house.

Quentin phones New York and tries once again to speak to Maggie, but she still doesn't want to talk to him. He tells her sister Jennifer to tell Maggie that he called and that he misses her.

For some reason, Alexis has moved back into Angelique's room (or else the writers forgot she had moved to another room). Bruno bursts in and accuses her of being Angelique and sending Damian to torment him. For about the 152nd time Alexis denies everything. I know one way I can prove you’re Angelique, Bruno says. You can't die twice, can you? And once again another ep ends with Bruno trying to strangle Alexis....

Interesting speculation, MT, about the Cyrus-Yaeger relationship. Such ideas never got air time in those days. I think the first tentatively identified gay character was played by Tony Randall in "Sidney Shorr: A Girl's Best Friend" in 1981, followed by a sitcom for a couple of years. (I just Googled it, I didn't watch the show.)

Also, MT, we'll find out fairly soon why nobody talks to PT Sam Evans.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
Alexis and Angelique are sort of like Patty and Cathy Lane. If Patty had been evil and dead, of course.
Sabrina and Quentin have a difficult time understanding how Cyrus could possibly be friends with someone like John Yaeger and Cyrus doesn't do a very good job of explaining it to them. Way to go, Cyrus. Just give them more reason to be suspicious.
Damien really has Bruno unnerved. Neither he nor Cyrus handle the sudden fire very well, though it's one of those Dark Shadows fires that burns nothing and leaves no smoke damage. Obviously, Damien has been causing a lot of it. But is he the only supernatural presence at work?
Quentin tries to contact Maggie unsuccessfully. He's a hothead but at least he's trying. He does seem to be attracted to Alexis but, at least in this situation, the attention makes her a little uncomfortable.
Bruno is convinced that Angelique has come back from the dead as Alexis to torment him. In his infinite stupidity, he seems to feel that killing Alexis will solve all his problems. Why isn't he in jail?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 12:20:13 AM »
I thought the acting in putting out the fire was good, though.  It seemed real.

DL-- Thanks about the VO.  Gay characters did pop up occasionally in the 70s.  Even in the 60s I think, though I could easily be wrong, and I can't remember instances.  They were pretty cliched.  As for "self-identified"... The big "breakthrough" character was Jody? on "Soap", Billy Crystal, 1978... you're hitting your forehead right now, aren't you?  More obscure though:  the first regular gay characters were on the short-lived sitcom "Hot L Baltimore" in 1974.  They were cliches who walked by and delivered a joke and went away again... Howard Hesseman played a gay group therapy member in a Blob Newhart Show episode, mid 70s... I mis-typed that "Blob Newhart" and I think I'll keep it that way...

[candle_in_skull_2]

Not that I want to correct you, I just thought it was of interest... Hard to have a good ongoing discussion without a bit of it... They really did act on TV as if they didn't exist though, you're right...almost always...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »
MT, please do correct me if I'm wrong. You seem to know much more about gay TV characters than I ever did! I did see random episodes of "Soap" but don't remember any of it, I'm afraid. There does seem to be improvement in quantity and quality. One of these days if I have time, maybe I'll binge-watch Transparent.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 05:34:40 PM »
Well, they were so rare they stood out...