Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0799  (Read 1540 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0799
« on: June 11, 2009, 10:58:13 PM »

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0799
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:22:17 PM »
Well, looking at MB's vid caps, I spy real 'burns!  [milestone]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »
I wonder, did it hurt to have real sideburns growing in while gluing fake ones over them 'till they came in?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 02:33:20 AM »
When Magda chopped up the hand and it was burned in the fire, it was obvious that it would have more power than to be destroyed so easily.  It was amusing when it turned up intact just after Magda thought it was gone.  How does it function on its own and how does it decide who to harm and who to help? It will be interesting to see how this is revealed.  Was it's plan all along to get Magda to bring it to Collinwood?  It now appears to want Tim to take possesion of it.
Charity is so blatantly after Quentin and apparently the Collins name is more important than that he has no money, no prospects and it constantly drunk and she must know that he and Beth are involved.  Pinching your cheeks isn't going to help. It looks like you have been out partying way too much for a ministers daughter.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »
Major Milestones Not Already Mentioned: [milestone]

1. The Hand could not be destroyed! [shkdg]
2. Aristede told Quentin that his "condition" was cureable.
3. Tim overheard Magda and Quentin discussing the power of the hand. After the Hand scared Magda away, Tim found it at the Old House.
4. Magda told Tim that he bought deadly nightshade from her just before he killed Minerva.
4. Quentin told Charity that he was a father and one of his children was dead.

During the opening voiceover, Quentin's photo was superimposed over the Collinwood photo. I love that effect. [ghost_cheesy]

As Pansyfaye revealed on the Trivia Page on the Dark Shadows Festival website, there was a major blooper in this episode. [signerror] Magda and Quentin were sitting in the drawing room. As Quentin rose, to the right of the crossed weapons on the wall, there was a glimpse of the foyer and portrait through the gap where the cameras moved from room to room.

Quentin looked so much better with David Selby's real sideburns! Really handsome. [luv] Those fake sideburns were too thick. Of course, the real sideburns were more natural looking.  [ghost_smiley]

That was pretty scary when the Hand appeared again after being cut up by Magda. I don't blame her for being frightened! [ghost_shocked]

I enjoyed the conversation between Quentin and Aristede, too. [ghost_grin]

Tim sure was getting sly with his sneaking around and getting information that would benefit him. He really hit the jackpot when he found that Hand!

Charity was out of her league with Quentin. She was too plain to really interest Quentin. He was just having fun with her.

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 03:08:41 AM »
Funny how Charity could be so plain yet Carolyn so smoking hot!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:24:39 PM »
All attitude I guess....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:09:56 PM »
I think the voiceover line that states that "many strange things have happened since the blood-red sun set on the great estate of Collinwood" puts to rest any suspicion that the recent unnatural events (including the deaths of Julianka, Sandor, and the baby boy) occurred over more than one night.

Ah, the handy hatchet that has never been on that wall til it was needed.

Quentin, thinking:  "There was going to be another Quentin Collins, but he died."
Would he really have changed his baby son's name to Quentin Jr.?  That seems like such an un-Collins thing to do.

Magda to Quentin:  "We fight. I yell at you. You yell at me."
Not to mention that she curses and he throttles, arm twists, badgers, threatens, and slaps.

I wonder, did it hurt to have real sideburns growing in while gluing fake ones over them 'till they came in?

The fake ones sat higher, so I'm guessing they were glued to bare skin.  Before & after pics are on the same Robservations page, so maybe someone who know about theatrical makeup can take a look and tell us what they think.

A boom mic lingered over Tim's head as he stood in the drawing room. But that followed, and was nowhere near as amusing as, the...
glimpse of the foyer and portrait through the gap where the cameras moved from room to room.
I love that blooper!

Quentin confronts an assassin armed with only a letter opener?

When Tim found the hand, was the sound bite of Magda and Quentin discussing its magic and power really necessary?  We saw Tim eavesdropping during the original conversation and even got a closeup of his pleased reaction, so who suddenly decided that the audience couldn't remember what happened not even 10 minutes before?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »
Thanks to all for pointing out the real sideburns.  Of course I never noticed.

When Magda chopped up the hand and it was burned in the fire, it was obvious that it would have more power than to be destroyed so easily.  It was amusing when it turned up intact just after Magda thought it was gone.  How does it function on its own and how does it decide who to harm and who to help? It will be interesting to see how this is revealed.
I think Magda said a few episodes back that the hand always does what Count Petofi wants it to do, even when Count Petofi is far, far away.  The more we see what the hand does, the more interesting this idea becomes.  Is the curing of Charity Trask evidence that Count Petofi, like Barnabas, can't resist sweet young things?  And is the mooshing up of the faces of Evan Hanley and Quentin evidence that Count Petofi dislikes facial hair?

Whatever Count Petofi's preferences may be, I agree with Magda that the hand is bad news.  But that's not stopping Tim Shaw!  Why does he think he can control it when others couldn't?

I liked the scene in the Blue Whale with Tim and Aristede.  That seemed like a very neat pairing.  The scene with Charity and Quentin, on the the other hand, was sort of excruciating.  She was so painfully obvious!  But when she agreed to drink the sherry, I started to think about Charity's suppressed desires, and wonder what marriage with Quentin might turn her into.  It's too bad Judith has been lunaticized and institutionalized.  It would be fun to see Trask and Judith and Quentin and Charity as the years roll by and Charity becomes more and more free and loose, and joins Quentin in merrily scandalizing Trask and Judith.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »
Yes, it's to bad that Joan Bennett is on what seems like the longest Vacation ever[spoiler]ANd still not back as of  Episode 851[/spoiler]  Would Trask have comitted Charity to save his image to his new wealthy wife?  or resort to another murder?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times