Author Topic: NODS script Grayson!  (Read 853 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
NODS script Grayson!
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:01:23 AM »
Has anyone seen the NODS script with Grayson's notes. My God it's fascinating!  What an actresses she was, with the subtext and reminding herself when to change her tone, mood, desire, at one certain syllable!  Grayson was over the top on the show which I love.  However, I think NODS is her most beautiful performance!

BTW...I am so happy to be back.  Long story however, as much as I tried to help my cousin died of Drug addiction. We were really close and it brought me really down.  I didn't check out on life but I was depressed.  I have myself battled depression at times, in HS cause I knew I was gay, when I came out etc.  So this hit me hard too.  And he was only 24 and the sweetest soul you would ever meet!  I HATE DRUGS!!  I am glad to be back with my Cousins though. I have missed y'all!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: NODS script Grayson!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:15:59 AM »
Very glad to have you back, T.  I'm sorry about your cousin, and I wonder if there might have been a lack of support for him, because so many think an addict "deserves" anything that happens to him.  I can't understand that one. 

I'd love to see all those notes of Grayson's.  I like the idea of seeing the nuts and bolts of a creative process.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »
I'm so sorry about your cousin, Taeylor--I'm sure you did everything you could. It's lovely to have you back with us.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:22:37 PM »
It is never easy to lose someone so young. It's even sadder when it's because of drugs. I hope that you have memories of happier times that can bring you some comfort.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:47:12 PM »
It's very nice to see you, Taeylor. And my deepest sympathy for the loss of your cousin. Losing someone you're close to is always very hard, but it's good that you've been able to come out the other side.

As for Grayson's script, yes, I have seen it - and yes, her notes are a fascinating look into her acting process.

Welcome back!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 09:53:15 PM »
 The script is amazing.  She was dedicated to her craft for sure and one could tell she had studied with the greats.  I seem to recall that she studied with Lee Strasbourg. I could be mistaken though.

As Sam pointed out, I don't think dear ever recovered from the fact that NODS was butchered.  And I haven't recovered from the fact that MGM took no interest (unless I am out of the loop) in doing the restored version Mr. Gross worked so hard on.  [5323]

I recently watched the movie again and I reaffirmed that it is BY FAR my favorite performance of her career. It's so interesting, (as y'all know I ADORE her)  to see her be so overstep, campy and flamboyant on Dark Shadows. Yet Carlotta has this quiet, still, strength and control about her.  NODS is by far my favorite of the two!

I really appreciate everyone's well wishes! It feels good to be back among my COUSINS!  :)  Thank you to everyone who said a kind word.  He is flying free now...I believe that.... [angl] [angel12] [angl] [angel1]

I also noticed in August I will have been here for ten years.  I am so glad this board is still going. I just love our moderators and all the wonderful cousins we have!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bereavement, Taeylor.  It's nice to have you back with us.

Yes, Grayson was a truly exceptional actress.  I do think her performance as Hoffman in PT 1970 shows that she could be very understated.  In general, I think fans do not realize that the directors of the series, particularly Henry Kaplan, actually encouraged a really overstated approach to work on the series. In all fairness, I suspect that this was because reading the scripts, the idea of a naturalistic approach to lines such as, "You have BETRAYED me!" or "You will walk the night as one of the living dead... FOR ALL ETERNITY!" or "Julia... YOU MUST!" would have seemed beyond absurd.  The only way those lines work is to recite them, with total conviction, at five hundred percent volume and intensity.  But anyway...

Grayson's performance as Carlotta was a gem.  Her best screen performance ever was probably as Miss Fellows in NIGHT OF THE IGUANA.  Huston had wonderful instincts when it came to directing Grayson.

Best, G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 05:18:42 PM »
I believe Grayson got an Oscar nomination for best supporting actress for her work in Night of the Iguana. She didn't win, but still.

I had heard that the directors--and presumably DC as well--really wanted overly dramatic performances. It's fun to watch now, and I think saved the show from being campy.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 02:07:20 AM »
I thought it was the melodramatic performances that made some people think DS was "camp"...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor