Author Topic: OT -- earthquake in los angeles  (Read 2136 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
OT -- earthquake in los angeles
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:13:20 PM »
there was a 5.4  earthquake in downtown los angeles today just a little over a week after the festival. i dont know if it was felt in burbank but it was felt in hollywood and west hollywood. no damage or injuries reported. the building where i work at in hollywood (right down the street from where the 2005 los angeles festival was held) shook slightly for about a minute.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT -- earthquake in los angeles
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:16:53 PM »
And before anyone gets worried, Midnite is fine - I spoke to her just a few minutes ago. In fact, she was the one who told me about the earthquake.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »
Tentatively they're saying the quake was 5.8.  Lasted long enough to be a little scary, but not even the car alarms were set off in my neighborhood.  Some stuff fell off the shelves.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »
Glad you folks are ok !  Hope anyone else in the area checks in to let us know how they are.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:50:40 PM »
Glad to hear folks from LA checking in.  I hope everyone is OK!  It sounds very similar to the earthquakes I experienced when I lived in Taiwan in the 80s.

G.

David

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:12:22 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]

Just a little reminder that we live in CA~~the big one's coming here to the Bay Area!

Glad everyone in the South Land is OK!

David

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »
I am glad everyone's is okay.  I live in KENTUCKY and we actually had one a while back which I thought was crazy.  An earthquake in KY???  However, I found out a huge fault line runs across the state.  Kind of scary.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Positivenergyone

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:52 PM »
Hi Tae, That faultline runs through Tennessee and Alabama too.  A few years back (around 2:30 a.m.), I woke up and sat straight up in bed as my apartment started to shake.  The amazing thing was that the main earthquake was in Ft. Payne, AL, 50 or 60 miles away.

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:45:26 PM »
Checking in from Pasadena, where this was one of the strongest jolts I've felt in years. And I'm a native Californian, so I have felt many over the years. This one was scary. I'm on the third floor of my building and it really shook, but no damage.  [ghost_smiley]

The quake has been downgraded to 5.4, but it is still considered a "moderate" quake.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:55:07 PM »

I'm so glad to hear that my CA cousins are fine!  How scary!  I called my firiend in Temecula and she's fine, too.
Then I read that it was felt as far east as Las Vegas!  Aaaarggghhh!

As to some of the other posts....oh yes, there are faults all over the US.  About 10 years ago, a very small one hit Kansas City, KS and just cracked up some pavement and damaged a small Dr. 's office. But that's nothing compared to eastern Missouri.

In the southeast corner of MO.  lies the New Madrid fault.  In 1812 it cut loose, devastating the town of New Madrid and causing the Mississippi River to run backwards.  It's not the fault that cut loose in KY, but it feeds into it.

Well I hope that you all in CA continue to be safe and the aftershocks stay teeny tiny. 

Always, Minja  [shockeyes]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »
Yes we had one in Ohio a few months back. Probably the same one Taeylor had. At 5:30 am my hallway door started to shake and it freaked me out.  My sister and I were in Califonria a few months after the big quake that hit in January some years back (MLK Day).  We were in Venice Beach and an aftershock hit and it scared the you know what out of me. The earth moving under you is not a good feeling ( under most circumstances that is)
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 04:55:14 AM »
So nice to know some of my cousins are close by :) 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 08:44:56 AM »
Everything is fine here...  This quake is child's play compared to others I've experienced.  I'm used to them and far prefer them to tornadoes, hurricanes, snow, etc.  It's good to have them every now and then.  Otherwise, we would be living on a geologically dead planet.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »
HI Victoria I  tried registering on your site but keeps saying i didnt provide my birthday but cant find where that question is on the registration form so i gave up.

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 03:29:03 AM »
Glad everyone is okay... and I know it sounds weird but I'm sorry it didn't happen while I was in Burbank.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "put me in the middle of danger" type of person but have always thought it would a life-changing perspective to have the ground that has always been so solid under my feet to start to shake.

I wouldn't want to be around for a major quake, of course, but one that causes no damage just to feel the experience - is something I cannot comprehend so I've always been interested in the experience.

Does that sound as crazy as I think?
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."