Author Topic: *** Big Changes Ahead ***  (Read 22410 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: *** Big Changes Ahead ***
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2007, 10:46:01 PM »
I hardly ever see the slideshow.   I have Caption This bookmarked, and that's the first page I see.   I usually need my cheering up as fast as I can get it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2007, 05:06:42 AM »
It's hard to avoid it when it's at the top of the homepage  :'(

True - it's hard to avoid the first capture/caption. But as I've said in the past, I try my best to make that first one as unspoilery as possible as often as possible (though some days it just can't be done). However, it's very easy to avoid checking out any of the other captures/captures - simply avoid clicking on the back and/or forward buttons.  ;)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2007, 05:55:56 PM »
i used to get an e-mail when someone pm'd me saying "so-and-so at the forum has just sent you an important personal message" or something to that effect.

lately that hasn't happened.i'm not aware that i've received a message unless i log onto the board.

is this because of the new set up?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2007, 07:09:10 PM »
mscbryk,

Have you tried adding this domain to your Custom Sender List?  I'm wondering if AOL might be mishandling your notifications.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2007, 07:11:37 PM »
It's hard to avoid it when it's at the top of the homepage  :'(

True - it's hard to avoid the first capture/caption. But as I've said in the past, I try my best to make that first one as unspoilery as possible as often as possible ...

understood  :)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2007, 06:49:51 AM »
Hi,  I've been away for awhile because my computer died.  Now I'm online with an old one, but I'm having problems.  Is there something I need to reconfigure in my computer?  Some switch I need to flip so this new system can work?  I'm finding it hard to distinguish between the light smoke color and the dark.  Anybody else having this problem?

Thanks,

Judy [angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2007, 03:38:27 PM »
It may be a contrast issue with you monitor - or it may be one of a few other things. But before you start fiddling with your computer's settings, check to see if one of the other currently available themes works better for you. The steps for switching themes is laid out in this topic:

Choosing A Theme

However, instead of selecting the "use this theme" link, try the "preview ยป" link to make sure another theme isn't worse than the one you're currently using.  :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2007, 05:21:09 PM »
Eagle-eyed cousins may have noticed that we're now running SMF 1.1.3.  ;)

And a quick update on what's been going on behind the scenes:
  • Still no idea when the spoiler function may be back. I've been researching the technique the mod writer used for his feature, and every PHP manual that I've come across says that it's a technique that should be avoided by programmers.  :-   So, I've been trying to figure out a way to do it differently, but I haven't had much time to work on it lately.
  • But the good news is that the bloodred theme should be returning shortly. As soon as I get the chance to make a few final changes...

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2007, 03:06:25 AM »
Your tireless efforts are most appreciated, MB! [clap]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
well i'm THRILLED i am NOT the ONLY One who had trouble getting onto this site FOR MONTHS!  ;D

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2007, 12:49:21 PM »
here's One ?, why is it when i post something, it doesn't add the number right away? like on other sites i'm a member of it adds it automatically.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2007, 06:22:53 PM »
when i log in and hit "view new replies since last log in" it takes forever to show them!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2007, 07:07:38 PM »
well i'm THRILLED i am NOT the ONLY One who had trouble getting onto this site FOR MONTHS!  ;D

I was so glad to read in another topic that your problems with your "piece of shit of a computer" ([lghy] - though I'm sure it hasn't been at all funny for you) are behind you.  [thumb]

here's One ?, why is it when i post something, it doesn't add the number right away? like on other sites i'm a member of it adds it automatically.

I'm assuming you're asking why the posts you've made on this particular board didn't increase your post total. Well, that's because the ones made here aren't counted because it's simply a testing board and/or a place to get support and/or answers to questions completely unrelated to DS.  ;)  However, all posts made on all the other boards are credited to all members' post totals immediately.  :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2007, 07:31:09 PM »
when i log in and hit "view new replies since last log in" it takes forever to show them!

That's the price of the forum having almost 11,000 topics and well over 100,000 posts. The "Show new replies to your posts" feature checks every single topic on the forum to see if the member using the feature has posted in each topic and then checks to see who may haver posted in the topic since they did. With so many topics/posts on the forum, that can take a loooong time whenever the MySQL database server is responding slowly- and, unfortunately, our host's MySQL server has been temperamental off and on lately - but normally it will work in under 30 seconds. However, whenever there are server issues, there are two other alternatives to that feature:
  • a member can simply check the boards to see if there is an icon opposite topics they've posted to indicating someone else has posted since they did. (Though, of course, that can take some time if a members doesn't visit the forum very frequently and they need to check multiple boards.)
  • or a much quicker alternative can be to use the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature, because it's likely to have to search through far fewer boards/topics/posts - and it will still bring up any replies to topics a member has posted to. And if it's only the subsequent posts made to the topics a member has already posted to that that member is interested in reading, they can simply avoid accessing the topics they've never posted to.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2007, 07:51:04 PM »
well what happend was this, on my window that i had somehow it got clear?  & i lost everything! my bookmarks my passwords. i dunno it it was a virus or not? i'm what i call computer stupid. & than when i had to re-open it up. the damn thing woudln't let me go onto this site! errrrrrrrgh!  buut than late last nite for some UNKOWN reason it did it again & when i triied this board out of curiosity? it WORKED! i dunno IF it was a virus i had on my puter or whatever it was? buut whatever was wrong with it. i'm THRILLED i can access this board again! & reason i remembered my login name & my password is cause i think midnite? is it? had e-mailed me it a few months back. in i think January. & i just THANKFULLY NEVER delted the e-mail!  ;D & also thanxs for your answer by the way. here's another one for ya's. is ALL The changes done? or are ya STILL working on them? & what exactly did change? i didn't read all 11 pages. of this thread. & thanxs again!  ;D