Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1227  (Read 717 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1227
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1227
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:19:31 AM »
Gabriel's sort of possessed (he talks about hating "you Collinses"), and sort of not.   If he's possessed, who by?   I mean, are Melanie, Gabriel, and Morgan all possessed by three different spirits, or can one spirit possess more than one person at the same time?   Does one spirit jump back and forth between Melanie and Gabriel?   Morgan's clearly his own separate deal...

Did they intend to write many permutations of Karlen-Barrett romance stories with different characters, in different times?  Or did it just work out that way, I wonder?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 11:08:35 AM »
Joan Bennett does the maternal love thing so well.

Kendrick Young is an estimable young man, but I'm afraid he isn't overly endowed with intelligence.  He shouldn't have turned his back on Gabriel, and he should have figured out what it was that Melanie couldn't bear to tell him.  Instead he tortured her with thoughts of Stella in her grave.

Did they intend to write many permutations of Karlen-Barrett romance stories with different characters, in different times?  Or did it just work out that way, I wonder?
Interesting question.  It seems to me that the writers created the role of Melanie with Nancy Barrett specifically in mind, but that Kendrick wasn't necessarily created with John Karlen in mind.  There are, as far as I can remember, five young men in this storyline: Morgan, Quentin, Gabriel, Kendrick, and Gerard Stiles.  Take away the names, and you could toss all the names in a a couple of hats to see who would play whom.  I can't imagine Keith Prentice as Kendrick, but having seen him in only one role, I can't judge his capabilities.

I'm glad, however, that they gave David Selby the role of the ex-con, because I'm really enjoying this particular Quentin, and Selby's performance.  Quentin starts out as just one of the Collins brothers, and the least noticeable of them in terms of personality, but now Gabriel's insane and Morgan's possessed, so Quentin's the only competent Collins brother left.  I wanted to see how Quentin would approach Kendrick in the Inn, but apparently that confrontation never happened because Kendrick came to get Melanie.  What a shame.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
Poor Quentin certainly has his work cut out for him as the only sane and unpossessed Collins brother. The patience he learned in prison seems to be standing him in good stead, although I imagine he wouldn't have thought of it as a transferrable skill that he would need at home.

I love the scene with Quentin and Gabriel in the Tower Room. We come within an inch of finding out--maybe--what happened to Gabriel in the Locked room, but during the commercial break something or someone--the ghost, maybe?--prevents him from revealing anything, and even Quentin loses patience with him. Gabriel's little soliloquy after Quentin tells him to get some rest and locks him in is priceless:

Rest? I can’t rest. I have too much to do, I have too much killing to do! I should have killed him while he was here--then there would have been one less. But soon the door will open again--and they’ll all be dead!