Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0750  (Read 603 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0750
« on: July 19, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
Robservations #750

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0750

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 04:42:23 PM »
Magda vows at Jenny's grave that she will avenge her death and give Quentin a punishment worse than death. Mad as she was, and no matter how much he wronged her, I don't think even Jenny would have wished what Magda had in store for Quentin even on him, and certainly not on his/her flesh and blood. Not to mention that Jenny didn't want anything to do with Magda or her gypsy past even when she was sane and went to great pains to distance herself from it.

Judith very coldly dismisses Beth, saying now that Jenny is gone, Beth's services are no longer needed. I suppose that's true, but then Judith goes on saying that if not for Edward's insisting on it, Judith wouldn't have given Beth any severance pay at all. Not a very nice way to treat the hired help, giving them a pink slip and not giving them anything to help them get along until they find other work, but I suppose that Edward pointed this out to Judith, or the very least, urged her not to to anything that would provoke Beth into retaliating or worse, possibly tell Quentin about the children. Beth, more than Edward and Judith, does worry what will become of Quentin's offspring.

Also Judith's lack of concern about the future of the children continues to disgust me but shouldn't really surprise me. Now that she knows the children are not only Colllins but also half gypsy (oh the horror Judith must have felt when she realized that!) of course she's not going to have anything more to do with them. Not that she had much to do with them in the first place other than seeing they're cared for by Mrs. Filmore in the village.

A dejected Quentin returns to Collinwood and lies to Judith he got the gypsies to agree to leave as well. However Magda comes calling again soon after to get Jenny's things and informs Judith she has no intention of leaving Collinwood. I love how she tells off Judith about her poor treatment of her and Sandor and how gypsies, unlike the mighty Collinses, at least don't betray their family and truthfully that is something that really can't be said for the Collins siblings of 1897.

Magda informs Judith she'll send Sandor to get Jenny's things and Judith lets Quentin have it for lying to her and demanding the money she gave to him back. Quentin refuses and storms back into his room.

Later Quentin asks Beth to go with him but she is reluctant. She is guilt-stricken over Jenny's death but Quentin insists that it was an accident. Beth clearly isn't so sure now that it was. Before they can continue, Sandor arrives to fetch Jenny's belongings.

Alone in the drawing room, Quentin once again attempts to use bribery to get out of the curse before it can start. He offers it to Sandor, and says Sandor can take the money, remove the curse, without Magda ever knowing it. Sandor insists that he wouldn't know how to remove it, and also as much as he hates to turn down ten thousand dollars, he does not want to risk knowing Magda. Despite their bickering this proves Sandor really does love Magda, and that in the end his marriage meant more to him than anything, even money. That's another thing that the Collins clan of 1897 can't lay a claim to.

Later on, all packed and ready, Quentin takes one last, sad look at Collinwood, then heads to Beth's room. He is thrilled to see her packing and ready to leave with him, but she insists that if they're going to be together they must be honest with each other. She tells him he doesn't want her with him because he loves her because she isn't so sure that he's capable of loving anyone but because he can't ever be alone. And also that he uses people and discards them when he's bored of them. I think she really hit the nail on that one. Quentin's infidelity on his wife proves that in one way, and the way he used Jamison for some of his black arts shenanigans (with or without Evan Hanley) is another example.

Quentin asks Beth why she has decided to go with him, and she tells him that she loves him and despite the fact that it's against her better judgment she is going to go with him. I wonder though what makes Beth think he'll treat her any better than he did Jenny especially after she confessed she didn't think he was capable of deep love. I guess the old saying love is blind really is true especially in this case.

Quentin is ready to take her baggage to the carriage but Beth insists she must go to the village first (to do one last thing for the children no doubt). Quentin insists there is no time for that but Beth maintains that she has to do it.

At the cemetery at dusk, Magda lays down her curse on Quentin....and all his male descendants. Even if I didn't know that Quentin and Jenny had children that Magda knew nothing about at this point, I would still think she was wrong to doom future generations of Quentin's. Quentin asked for it, I won't deny it, but any future offspring of his who had nothing to do with the murder of Magda's sister don't deserve to be condemned for something they had no part in.

Quentin is suddenly whacked with pain as the moon rises. Beth rushes out to get help and Quentin continues to struggle in agony....then we hear a dog howling....not a good sign.

Great episode though.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
ILB, I think Beth's aware of the risks from going off with a man who can't really be said to love her or anybody, really.  She's sort of between the old rock and hard place, I think, since she loves him.  I guess you can't completely choose these things.

Yes, Magda's being unfeeling about Quentin's offspring, but I suppose she expects the boys to be no-good chips off the old Collins block.  You're leaving out what I think is the most callous part of this Curse-- all the innocent victims.  Magda hopes it's just the Collins family who suffers, but she knows better.

I wonder what Edward told the law about how Jenny came to be at Collinwood, why no one ever saw her, etc..  This ep is all about waiting for the Curse.  Beth sums up Quentin perfectly, maybe-- he can't stand to be alone, but doesn't actually care about the people holding his hand through life.  He uses them and discards them.  Good speech.

If Quentin had known Magda was waiting till the Moon was in the right place to cast the actual Curse, he could have found her and killed her too, beforehand.  Quentin starts his first of many transformations.  Shot of Moon, wolf howl!  The end!  We haven't heard one word about werewolves in 1897, I doubt it even came up in connection with Quentin in 1969, but the viewers know anyway, and the producers know they know!  Was this the first hint for some viewers, though?  Maybe a few were connecting the dots only now, saying oh THAT'S where Chris got it!!  It's hereditary... So those babies led to Chris... I forget what it's like never to have known all this stuff.  It may not be as obvious as I'm thinking.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »
It wasn't so obvious to me, MT, when I first saw it. I didn't connect the dots between Quentin and Chris until much later.

Beth may be in love with Quentin, but in her case, love definitely isn't blind. She knows all his faults but loves him anyway.

Sandor tries to get Magda to leave Collinwood, but she wants to stay and see how her curse will work out. She will be sorry. Maybe she was so callous about the innocent victims of her curse because her sister was the first innocent victim.

Now that Beth has been fired, she doesn't bother to call Edward "Mr. Collins" or Quentin "Mr. Quentin." Even as she's being dismissed, she worries about the children. But Judith insists that Quentin must never know about them.

Magda returns for Jenny's things and exposes all of Quentin's lies to Judith. He doesn't care about anything but keeping the money.

At 5:00 p.m., for some reason Beth has decided to pack Jenny’s belongings in the drawing room. The inventory is pitiful. Apparently all that Jenny owned was her old, ragged black gown and her two “babies.” Her only other possession is a battered old suitcase, possibly the same one she packed long ago when she ran away, full of love and hope, to become a Collins. Quentin arrives, and maybe because she's faced with the evidence of her betrayal of Jenny, she can't promise to go away with Quentin.

Sandor arrives, and Quentin tries to talk him into taking the money for himself. But Sandor is true as steel to his wife and sister-in-law and enjoys himself by taunting Quentin about the curse.

Beth packs all her things in a suitcase no larger than Jenny's and is tying a tiny hat atop her piled-up hair when Quentin walks in. She catalogues all his faults, especialy the fact that he just uses people, then discards them when he's tired of them. Quentin has the grace to look ashamed as he asks her gently, In that case, why are you coming? Beth replies, I love you, and I care about what happens to you. Every instinct tells me not to, but I’m coming anyway. Her pure loyalty in the face of his mendacity and cowardice is just amazing. He wants to take her to the carriage right away but she insists she has to do something in the village first--probably saying good-bye to Quentin's children.

The moon has risen. Still at the cemetery, Magda tells Sandor, It’s time. Sandor watches as Magda picks up a double handful of earth from Jenny’s grave and intones: Let my voice be carried by the wind. Let it be taken to the surrounding countryside. Let it be heard by all the tribal chiefs and prophets, by the masters of the chains, by the guardian of the twelve days. I speak for one of us who has been struck down and for whom we must secure justice. She opens her hands to scatter the earth and spreads her arms wide as she implores, Listen! Hear my words! Honor my wish! Then she makes the fateful sign of the horns and declares, I place this curse on Quentin Collins--and upon all his male kin of succeeding generations.

Quentin and Beth are still arguing about Beth’s errand. Where are you going? he asks, shaking her by the shoulders. I can't explain it--let me go! Beth says desperately. Forget it and come with me! he says. I want to go, Beth pleads. It will only take a few minutes. We don’t have a few minutes! he shouts. Why not? she asks. It's getting dark out, he says. The gypsies told me that by tonight-- He breaks off as he doubles over, pain tearing at him from the inside out. What’s wrong? Beth asks frantically. I feel pain, all over my body, he gasps. I can't bear it! he cries. I feel like I'm going to die! Get a doctor, before it's too late! As she runs from the room, Quentin falls to the floor, writhing in agony. Somewhere outside, a wolf howls as the full moon lights the sky....

And so ends a fabulous Friday episode.