Author Topic: OT: Decades losing affiliates to Start TV  (Read 544 times)

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
OT: Decades losing affiliates to Start TV
« on: September 01, 2018, 01:08:23 AM »
I just discovered that starting on Labor Day Sept 3, many affiliates currently carrying the Decades channel  will be will be replacing it with Start TV . Cable systems in NY, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle, SF, Boston, Miami, Denver, Pittsburgh and Baltimore among others will be required to carry Start. As far as I can tell, we will still get it in Orlando but losing such a huge nationwide viewership could be devastating to Decades. Here we already lost This TV to the Justice Network this year...yuck. BTW, Start pretty much carries recent CBS series such as The Closer, The Good Wife, Medium, Crossing Jordan, Cold Case, The Division and Profiler.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Decades losing affiliates to Start TV
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 01:45:01 AM »
I suspect a big problem with Decades is that in at least the past two years they haven't been producing much if any new material for the channel. It's nice that they show DS and other syndicated shows - but Decades keeps showing the same eps of these shows over and over. And even if you're a big fan of a show, after you've seen the exact same eps for three or more times in just about as many years, seeing those same eps again is likely to lose its appeal. And Decades seems to be in the same boat with its own programming. I mean, Through the Decades just seems to rehash/repackage the same material over and over. I've lost count just how many times the same feature on DS has been shown on Through the Decades - and I wouldn't be surprised if Decades plans to reshow it again this upcoming Halloween season. Recycling the same material likely inspires ennui in viewers, and I can't honestly believe in brings in big ratings...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:36:27 AM »
I've been wanting to ask about this.  We're one of the ones that's switching from Decades to Start.  I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Start.  I really don't watch much Decades, but from time to time they have something I want.  But, maybe Start will be good!  Our "This" switched to "Cozi" and that's had some good things.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 05:49:15 PM »
A quick check of Decades' Web site would seem to indicate they haven't found new affiliates in many of the areas they lost to Start TV...

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »
We still have Decades here in Orlando but yes, they certainly took a big audience hit fsure. Plus, the other CBS affiliates who aren't owned and operated will be under a lot of pressure to switch to Start TV. Well see what happens.