Author Topic: Poor Magda sure put up with a lot of abuse  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
Poor Magda sure put up with a lot of abuse
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:10:59 AM »
 I've been watching the 1897 flashback. I'm at the part where Potofi has possessed Jamison. It seems that every episode has Magda being strangled by Quentin or slapped around by Aristede or verbally put down. Yet she always shrugs it off as if it never happened. You have to admire her she was one tough lady.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Poor Magda sure put up with a lot of abuse
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 03:26:56 AM »
Amen to that! Magda is one of my favorite characters! She was so strong-willed and smart-mouthed that I just enjoyed every scene with her in it. I was disappointed when Julia came back to 1897 and we saw less and less of Magda over time.

One thing that did annoy me though, and I wish she would've set these people right, is everyone who called her "Mugda" or "Maugda"! I hate that! Her name is "Magda" like "mag-azine"! Hello!

And unfortunately Magda or Maugda, as you may have it, seemed to suffer from the same thing that a lot of other strong females did on the show--overpowering males surrounding them. It seems that once Barnabas showed up that Quentin, Aristede, and Count Petofi followed suit in treating her badly. Magda and Sandor were one of the most charaismatic couples in all of DS!!! (I'm expecting Buzz to come behind me and say something about Catherine and Bramwell! lol!)

Here's another thing, while I'm talking about Petofi and name mispronounciation. Everyone calls him Pe-toffe (rhymes with coffee), when I've always thought it was supposed to be Pe-toe-fi. Get it right here peeps! lol

[female_skull]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Para L. Time

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 04:07:34 AM »
The amount of violence against women alone on this show is unbelievable. I think Quentin himself has strangled at least every single female except for Nora, but wait until she turns sixteen! Although, I have to admit at this point that I am rooting for a Quentin/Magda wedding. These two have a very strong love/hate relationship going on. Their chemistry is through the roof. But I know it won't happen, even though I wished 1897 had ended that way. I think the Head Writer should have created a new character for David Selby to be paired with Grayson Hall in modern times. Oh well, one can dream. Interestingly, even though I find men more attractive, Magda is one sexy lady, for a middle-aged woman.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 05:03:05 AM »
Here's another thing, while I'm talking about Petofi and name mispronounciation. Everyone calls him Pe-toffe (rhymes with coffee), when I've always thought it was supposed to be Pe-toe-fi. Get it right here peeps! lol
I am so with you on that!  [hall2_angry] I mean, Petofi himself pronounces it Pe-toe-fi, but the others just do it their own way.  [hall_rolleyes]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 05:08:30 AM »
Magda was a tough and proud gypsy, but yes, she had her fill of getting grabbed, slapped, pushed, shoved... one episode stands out in particular: Petofi catches Magda slinking into the Collinwood foyer from the kitchen quarters (in the process of helping Quentin), and after twisting her arm and menacing her, Petofi gives her a huge shove to the side! We literally see Grayson Hall FLY out of the scene as she lets out a classic Magda-esque yelp.

Hopefully the wig, layered clothes and pancake make-up helped cushion the many physical blows she received.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 11:43:50 AM »
I think what the writers were trying to get across was that Magda was a lowly gypsy and should be treated as such. And Grayson Hall pulled it off superbly.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 02:28:41 PM »
Magda and Sandor were one of the most charaismatic couples in all of DS!!! (I'm expecting Buzz to come behind me and say something about Catherine and Bramwell! lol!)

LOL!  Yep!  They were!  But I adored Magda and Sandor too.  When she would call him fat and stuff, that was funny.  Magda's one of my faves too and I *love* when someone puts up a screen capture of her in Caption This so I can work the 'accent' in my quotes, LOL!   [hall2_cool]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 07:14:41 PM »
Magda was without a doubt one of THE great characters that came out of 1897 (next to Quentin of course). She was such a hoot, she could be sarcastic and funny but also angry, vengeful and vulnerable.

Ya gotta love her sarcasm:

[spoiler]When Quentin pressures her to tell his grandmother he's changed, Magda responds, "not even my cards can lie THAT much."

Barnabas is pressuring her to hurry up and get Sandor and move his coffin to the basement room in the Old House, she responds "you're so kind and considerate worry about me and Sandor!"[/spoiler]

And I agree her and Sandor probably had (next to Maggie and Joe) the most realistic relationship of anyone on the show....you could also feel Magda's pain when [spoiler]Sandor died. She was so heartbroken to lose her 'big, fat hero,' for sure. Also when she realized she had cursed Quentin's son when she learned of his existance.....you saw the regret and sorrow that she went through when she realized what she had done.[/spoiler]

Grayson must have had fun playing Magda, I know I had fun watching her play Magda.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 07:42:17 PM »
[spoiler]Barnabas is pressuring her to hurry up and get Sandor and move his coffin to the basement room in the Old House, she responds "you're so kind and considerate worry about me and Sandor!"[/spoiler]

Actually, what happens is [spoiler]he is indeed ordering her to get Sandor and move his coffin, but when she keeps being a smartass he angrily says, "Get your coat and GO!" and again, being the wonderful smartass she was quips, "Oh, so kind and conseederate!  Worrrrrrying about ME in the cold!"[/spoiler]   [hall2_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »
Oh yeah, that's what she said! I knew it really hadn't been Sandor she said, but it's been awhile since I saw that episode. I'll have to put on that episode on tonight and laugh my butt off when Magda give bossy Barnabas some of that fabulous gypsy attitude of hers! [hall2_grin]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 07:57:49 PM »
Oh yeah, that's what she said! I knew it really hadn't been Sandor she said, but it's been awhile since I saw that episode.

Really I just wanted an excuse to write her accent, LOL!   [hall2_grin]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 09:33:09 PM »
The amount of violence against women alone on this show is unbelievable. I think Quentin himself has strangled at least every single female except for Nora, but wait until she turns sixteen! Although, I have to admit at this point that I am rooting for a Quentin/Magda wedding. These two have a very strong love/hate relationship going on. Their chemistry is through the roof. But I know it won't happen, even though I wished 1897 had ended that way. I think the Head Writer should have created a new character for David Selby to be paired with Grayson Hall in modern times. Oh well, one can dream. Interestingly, even though I find men more attractive, Magda is one sexy lady, for a middle-aged woman.

sounds like you should join that Quentin-Julia yahoo group .. . make it Quentin/Magda.  .. [candle_in_skull]
Julia99

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 11:50:44 PM »
It's too bad they never gave a farewell between Barnabas and Magda, she simply faded away from the story.  1897 ended so fast, there wasn't anytime for goodbyes for any characters!

My roommate isn't a DS fan but he watched 1897 and loved Magda and was upset that after investing all that time in watching the story with it ending so abruptly and moving to the next plot.

He wouldn't watch DS anymore after that.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 07:24:50 AM »
Yep!  They were!  But I adored Magda and Sandor too.  When she would call him fat and stuff, that was funny.  Magda's one of my faves too and I *love* when someone puts up a screen capture of her in Caption This so I can work the 'accent' in my quotes, LOL!   [hall2_cool]

A challenge!!!
;)

Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 05:12:49 AM »
Really I just wanted an excuse to write her accent, LOL! [hall2_grin]

HELL YA! Magda's accent made her! Too bad they didn't think enough to have Grayson play Magda's long-lost grandmother or something during 1840, before Julia came along! That woulda been a hoot! I can see it now, her telling Gerard off, or taking Judah's head and hiding it under the chair! lol [female_skull]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran