Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0890  (Read 1088 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0890
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:14:06 AM »
Robservations #890

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0890

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:26:36 AM »
Julia dives into pissing Barnabas off with both feet, trying to get into the Box.  Where's Willie, by the way?  Barnabas acts suspicious as hell, then halfway through a merciless conversation suddenly remembers nice people are supposed to be nice, and blames his mood on time travel.  Keep that excuse on hand....  Julia is too transparently pleased to see him friendly and seems credulous, but she actually knows better.  She doesn't buy that excuse for a moment.  She's just glad to take a friendly-seeming exchange where she can get it, I suppose.

The moon landing is mentioned onscreen, by Phillip.  In an antique shop conversation discussing a message about a buyer who's after Tate paintings, both Julia and Megan [spoiler]make the mistake of assuming "Mister" Corey... or is that what the message said?  Why?[/spoiler]  They should have gotten Carolyn a pentagram a long time ago.  They should have given them out to all of Collinsport.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »
It's a good thing Julia hasn't lost her smarts or her keen powers of observation. She will need both.

Carolyn confides to Barn that more than once she felt as if she were falling in love with Chris. That would be a mistake, Barnabas warns her, and gives her a silver pentagram--yes, MT, seems a bit late for that.

Fortunately, Philip starts the day by wearing a new, normal cardigan. Once again, Julia is wearing her green tweed coat, but Carolyn, Megan, and Elizabeth are all wearing gray tweedy outfits. What gives?

Julia seems determined to support the antique shop and buys what looks like a little silver snuff box. Carolyn arrives, announcing she needs a silver chain for her pentagram and accepts Philip's invitation to dinner.

Julia makes a beeline for the Old House and asks Barnabas (wearing his blood-red velvet smoking jacket), Why did you give Carolyn the pentagram? You know why, he replies--to protect Carolyn from Chris. I can handle Chris, Julia insists. Chris may change at any moment, Barnabas reminds her--whether the moon is full or not. I’ll take him back to Windcliff, Julia proposes. Barnabas dismisses her concerns. I am busy with something else, he says. Too busy to hear about Quentin? Julia asks. This gets his attention fast. She tells him about the telegram and Mr. Corey. You are so irrational, Barnabas scoffs. She reminds him about the significance of the Tate portrait of Quentin. I am sure Quentin is alive here and now, Julia insists, since Beth saw him in 1969 (when Petofi had her go into the I Ching trance). Tate told me the portrait was destroyed in the studio fire, Barnabas says. Julia counters, Tate could have been lying (something Barnabas doesn’t seem to have considered, even before he became a cult zombie). Quentin could be alive and buying up every Tate he can find in search of his portrait. Barnabas simply goes over to the coat rack and gets her coat (actually, he takes his own first and has to put it back!). You’re making too much of the telegram, he says. I’m sure the portrait was destroyed and that Quentin is long dead. Now please leave, he says, helping her on with her coat. I have other things to do. Julia asks, You don't really care whether Quentin is alive or dead, do you? Barnabas! Oh, Barnabas, what has happened to you? After Julia leaves, Barnabas briefly places his hands on the Leviathan box, looks off into the distance and says, It is time. He sits in the chair next to the fireplace and seems to fall asleep as he has a vision. The Leviathan box starts breathing again, and is surrounded by flames. The flame turns out to be burning in a brazier next to the Leviathan altar, where Barnabas draws a circle in the air to summon Oberon. Oberon returns the greeting, addressing Barnabas as his master. Tell me, man of earth, Barnabas asks, how will I know the chosen ones? Oberon says, One will wear the sign of the Naga (i.e., the four-headed snake). You will hear a knocking at your door that will wake you from your sleep. When you open the door, you will know them and trust them. I will lead them to the mysteries, Barnabas agrees. He has fallen asleep in the chair and is awakened when someone knocks on the door. The chosen ones, he thinks to himself. My opening the door will seal the fate of many......

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »
Willie apparently left Collinsport while Barnabas (and perhaps Julia) was in 1897. He isn't mentioned, let alone seen, until much later in the storyline. Presumably, he is spending his time with Roxanne and Sue Agatha.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »
A viewer might wonder if Willie's not being there might have come from a time-travel history change, since he isn't referred to...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »
What was he doing when we saw him last?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »
 [pointing-up] When last we saw Willie in Ep #696, Maggie had disappeared at Collinwood and Willie was desperately trying to learn from Amy where Maggie was.

Watching Project

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 05:11:14 PM »
Remember:

Monday, February 23: No Episode, originally Monday, November 24, 1969 was the Apollo 12 splashdown

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:17:55 PM »
Thanks, MB. I'm going back to see if Maggie ever showed back up or if that whole plot development was dropped and forgotten. You'd think I'd remember seeing how it wasn't that long ago.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
It's definitely resolved before the shift to 1897.  [snow_smiley]

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:11 PM »
yes, I read Robservations, and felt like an idiot afterwards, lol

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 07:44:01 PM »
No need to feel like an idiot. There are so many plot points in 1225 eps that it's impossible to remember them all - especially if you haven't watched certain storylines in a while. And actually, rediscovering things you've forgotten is one of the fun things about rewatching the show.  [snow_wink]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »
You are so irrational, Barnabas scoffs.

Julia should have smacked him.

"Man of Earth"  "The sign of the Naga"  "The Chosen Ones"  Awesome stuff.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 08:02:42 PM »
Willie's absence is brought on by John Karlen working elsewhere. I think this is when Karlen was working in California. But he also had parts on three other NY soaps between stints on DS. He played Jock Porter on Love is a Many Splendored Thing, Sharkey Primrose on Hidden Faces and Casey on Another World. The last two were bad guys, not sure about the first one.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »
Sharkey Primrose!!!  [snow_laugh] [snow_laugh] [snow_laugh]