Author Topic: #1012/1013: Robservations 07/09/03: Stranger in a Sea of Familiar Faces  (Read 1384 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1012 - Will has now become Barnabas' victim, as their roles reverse to match regular time.

Blood dripping from his throat, Will, realizing what has happened, tries to escape the secret room behind the bookcase.
"You're leaving, Mr. Loomis?" inquires Barnabas ironically.  The author gazes at him with terror. I've got to get out of here, insists Will. I'll let you go, says Barnabas, but first we must have a brief talk. Why did you do this to me? asks Will. Why did you do what you did to me? counters Barnabas angrily--hold me in a coffin, forced me to tell my story, make me reveal, night after night, the depth of my shame? Literally spitting with fear, Will says, I wanted to tell the truth about Barnabas Collins. The Barnabas of your time is lying peacefully in his grave, says Barnabas--his name and spirit and should be left in peace. Please let me go, begs Will, and I won't tell anything about you. Go if you want to go, suggests Barnabas. Gasping for breath, Will says, I can't, and you know it--what are you going to do with me? Surely you've learned enough from your conversations with me recently to realize the position you're in, says Barn. "I must do your bidding?" asks Will. Precisely, responds Barnabas. I won't be your slave, insists Will. Would you rather be held captive in a closed coffin? demands Barnabas--it can easily be arranged. You wouldn't, moans Will. Why not? asks Barnabas--you did the same thing to me!  Please, implores Will, I'll do anything you say, anything you want, I will.  Very well, relents Barnabas--gather all you have written--and burn them.  Burn my book? asks Will, horrified--oh, no, you don't know what a book means to a writer. A writer!--all you did was copy down what you forced me to tell you, says Barnabas--now gather the book together and burn it!  No! cries Will. It's time you do precisely what I tell you to do, says Barnabas. No, insists Will.  "Is that your final answer?" demands Barnabas (hey, Regis stole that for his game show)!  Barnabas advances threateningly on Will; when they are face to face, the writer agrees--all right, I'll do it--I'll do anything you say.  Nothing must disturb the sleep or sully the name of that other Barnabas Collins who died in this time, insists the vampire--"Come--we will burn the book together!"

Collinwood - Quentin sits morosely by the fireplace, drink in hand.  Angelique enters--have you reached any decision? she asks--you've been so quiet--can't you give me any indication of what you're thinking? Receiving no reply, she asks for "permission to go to the Loomis house myself."  No response. Quentin, Will has got to tell us everything he knows about Barnabas Collins, she insists. Quentin is silent. Please, she says. He rises and stalks angrily forward--I'm going to the Loomis house, and this time I'll MAKE him answer my questions--and for emphasis, he tosses the glass into the fireplace and leaves.

As Barnabas watches, Will kneels, tossing the last of his manuscript into the fireplace. It's gone, he says miserably, rising to his feet--it could have given me everything I ever wanted. Are you sure there are no other papers around? asks Barnabas. Positive, answers Will. If I find that you've lied to me. . .warns Barnabas. I wouldn't do that, promises Will.  There's a knock at the door. Will is about to answer it, but Barnabas stops him and accompanies him to the door. Open the door! shouts Quentin--I know you're in there, so open up or I will. Will anxiously asks Barnabas, what should we do?  Open the door, says Barnabas, but don't mention me. Quentin continues to pound on the door.  When Will opens it, Quentin instantly grabs Will's collar and says, you're going to answer my questions if I have to choke the answers out of you!. I have no idea what you're talking about, gasps Will, and wrenches out of Quentin's grasp. Why do you keep coming here? asks Will. Because you know something about Barnabas Collins, says Quentin, and I want to know what it is. I told you every time you asked that it was a story I was writing! shouts Will. You're lying! yells Quentin. No I'm not! insists Will. What about the effect of Barnabas' portrait on Amy and Daniel? demands Quentin.  Barnabas reacts with horror. I don't know anything about it, says Will. There are other things about that man that I'm not going to bother explaining to you, says Quentin--strange people appearing in an empty room, and always the mention of Barnabas Collins--and mention of a curse that had been put on him. "I don't know anything about it!" wails Will.  I'll choke the answers from you, threatens Quentin--"Tell me more of what you know about Barnabas Collins!"  Nothing, says Will.  Barnabas smoothly intervenes: "I, too, would like to know more about that Barnabas Collins," he says mildly--"you see, that happens to be my name as well."

Will and Quentin stare at Barnabas, surprised. I would have interrupted your conversation earlier, says Barnabas, but it was my impression it was a family matter--when I realized you were discussing a Barnabas Collins, I felt it was time to introduce myself. You're Barnabas? asks Quentin. Yes, says Barnabas, descended from one of the sons of the gentleman Mr. Loomis wrote so interestingly about several years back.  The resemblance, says Quentin. Yes, says Barnabas, I saw a portrait of him in Mr. Loomis' book--strong, isn't it?  Yes, agrees Quentin, you'll have to forgive me if I seem tongue-tied--why haven't we ever met before, Barnabas? The vampire says, if you have any hopes of my being the Barnabas who can clear up some of the mysteries you were referring to, I'm sorry to disappoint you--you no doubt read Mr. Loomis' work in which he wrote of one son who went in search of Andean gold. Yes, he died in Peru, comments Quentin. My disappointment in contradicting you is matched by my pleasure of telling you he survived in obscurity and poverty, I must admit, but with sufficient vigor to sire four sons of himself, one of whom was my grandfather, reveals Barnabas. Why weren't you in contact with the family all this time? asks Quentin. Fortunately, says Barn, I am familiar with the shame that poverty brings--it wasn't until I was able to amass a fortune of my own that I had any desire to contact my relatives here--and what further prodding I needed was provided by Mr. Loomis' book that I just came across a few months ago--I was determined to renew the ties that had been severed so long--perhaps I'm received, but you do have many of the family traits--is it true that I am speaking to one of my cousins? My name is Quentin Collins, he says, shaking Barnabas' hand. How do you do? asks Barnabas--am I welcome here at Collinwood? It's not a question of being welcome, says Quentin, since you heard me say that there have been a few disturbing incidents here lately. Yes, says Barnabas--a Barnabas Collins who had a curse of some kind--what was all this about? I have no idea, says Quentin, but suspect my brother-in-law knows more than he's telling. No, I--begins Will angrily.  Barnabas interrupts his former captor with a sharp glance, then says, Quentin did you hear all this in a strange, empty room?--pardon my fascination, but would it be possible for me to see that room sometime?--since it does have something to do with a Barnabas Collins, my curiosity is very strong. I don't mean to be inhospitable, says Quentin, but--well, yes, I'm sorry, of course, absolutely no reason why you shouldn't see that room--but I can't guarantee what you'll find in the room. I'm more interested now than ever, says Barnabas--could I come in an hour?  Would tomorrow morning be better for you? asks Quentin. No, says Barnabas, unfortunately I have some business to attend to in town--besides, after meeting you, I'm sure there are more cousins I'd like to meet--right away. Come when you'd like, invites Quentin--it is a coincidence that I came here to ask Will about Barnabas Collins, and I meet you. I don't want to interfere with any private matter, Barnabas says, but I do know that Mr. Loomis is telling the truth when he says his latest novel is quite fictitious--he showed me a few pages before he burned it. Burned it? asks Quentin. Yes, says Barnabas, he felt it was unworthy of him--am I not right, Mr. Loomis? Oh, yes, says Will, nodding his head, obviously in pain. (He's wearing a scarf now.)  Welcome to Collinwood, Cousin, says Quentin, and leaves, not closing the door behind him. Why did you let him know you were here? demands Will--Quentin suspects, and I don't blame him. Let him suspect what he wants, advises Barnabas, as long as he gives me access to that room--it's one of my hopes of getting back to my own time band. One? queries Will--may I ask what the others are? You will know in time, says Barnabas, but first, I want you to take me to the grave of Barnabas Collins. Why? asks Will. I sense there's some kindred spirit, says Barn--if anyone can help me, I believe he can. You want to talk to...? begins Will. Yes, says Barnabas. Oh, no, says Will. Yes, insists Barn--now!  Will is petrified.

Collinwood - Roger closes the window--Alexis, he says, I've given much thought to what you say, but don't know what to make of it.  Well, she says, perhaps you weren't the right person to ask--have you seen Quentin? No, says Roger--of course, I was devoted to Angelique, more than you know, but seance or no seance, I have persuaded myself that she was not murdered. So you said, she notes, annoyed. He looks into her face and romantically says, I'd like to persuade you of the same thing, because it is the truth. You may be right, she says--forget I made any request. I am convinced that she was not murdered, he says. Please, could we just drop the subject? she asks, I do find it painful. He apologizes. Quentin comes home and she runs to him--did Will tell you anything about Barnabas? Very little, says Quentin. Nothing about Barnabas Collins? she demands shrilly. No, not much, he says, but there was no need to--Barnabas Collins was there himself. WHAT? says Roger. What are you talking about? asks Angelique. Please, says Quentin, seemingly dazed, I don't want to answer any questions, it's all so strange and improbable--all I can tell you is you'll meet Barnabas Collins--tonight. Angelique looks perturbed.

Graveyard - (The Barnabas Collins of this time was born in 1770 and died in 1830, which is one reason I've always believed he was only 25 in 1795, even though he looked much older. While PT denizens have made different choices, I believe they were born at the exact same time they were in RT, JMHO, of course.)

Barnabas and Will approach the grave.  The vampire reads aloud what's on his PT counterpart's tombstone: "May he rest in peace. Do I have to be here, too? asks Will. I should have had a grave like this, laments Barnabas, my Josette and I--peace should have been mine, and hers. Kneeling, he takes a handful of earth and slowly spills it onto the grave. If there's a spirit here who looks kindly on me, says Barnabas, I beg his help--I am lost amongst strangers, trapped in a time that is not my own--I do not wish this curse of mine to affect anyone here--help me if you can! The spirit of Joshua Collins appears on the grave, scaring the crap out of Will. Speak! Barnabas commands the spirit--"I beg you!"

Barnabas asks the apparition, are you Barnabas?  Who is it who is disturbing this family ground? demands Joshua. Will's got his hands clasped together as if in desperate prayer. Father! cries Barnabas.  Father? repeats Joshua--you are no son of mine!  Forgive me, Joshua, says  Barnabas, did you hear my speech? You speak to a man dedicated to the protection of his family, intones Joshua's spirit, both the living and the dead--I command that you leave this place and trouble my son's spirit no more. Do you know that I'm trapped in a world not my own? Asks Barnabas--I want help from wherever it can come from. I only know evil is in this place, says Joshua. "My name is Barnabas Collins, and Joshua Collins is my father," says the vampire.
Do not profane those names, orders Joshua--leave this place, and come here no more!  He disappears. "Wait!" begs Barnabas. "Don't go! I am a Collins, and I need your help!" Barnabas, please! cries Will, looking like a terrified little boy, let's leave! Barnabas turns and says, there is only one place left--that room. He walks away, leaving Will alone. Will backs nervously away from Barnabas' grave.

Collinwood - Hoffman tells Quentin and Angelique, the man is a fraud--his entire story is completely ridiculous; there hasn't been a Barnabas Collins in your family for years and years. You can say that, says Quentin, you haven't seen him. Hoffman asks, is the resemblance really so extraordinary? You'll soon find out, says Quentin. Angelique asks, are you sure he has nothing to do with the Barnabas Collins that was mentioned in that empty room? I'm sure of nothing except that this IS Barnabas Collins, says Quentin, and I'm depending on his reaction to the room to give me some clues. Barnabas enters--Mr. Trask told me to come on in.  (wonder what Barnabas thought of seeing an exact replica of a man he bricked behind a wall so many years ago)? Quentin introduces him to Alexis and Hoffman.
Both women are clearly stunned by the resemblance. Do you want a drink, Barnabas? asks Quentin.  No, answers the vampire--my fascination with the room is so great, I prefer to see it first, if you don't mind. Sure, says Quentin, but bear in mind that this phenomenon is rather unpredictable. All the more reason for my curiosity, says Barnabas.  The two men leave. Hoffman tells Angelique, Quentin was right--he IS Barnabas Collins, he looks just like the portrait. The people in the room mentioned a curse, says Angelique--does he look to you like a man under a curse?  I don't know, says Hoffman--how can one ever know?

On their way to the room, Quentin explains, the room was used by my late wife, Angelique, and now her twin sister Alexis is using it--we've all been very unsettled by events here lately. I have no doubt, sympathizes Barnabas. As you will see, says Quentin, the room is not unusual. He throws open the doors and there, alone, stands RT Julia.
"It can't be hopeless," she says. "Sometime, somehow, you will hear me--oh, Barnabas!"  Quentin gazes at his newfound cousin, but Barnabas, his forehead creased, gazes longingly at Julia.

NOTES: SO many good scenes here, and it's so great to have the old gang back in place, or at least most of them. We're still missing Thayer David, Joan Bennett and KLS, but they'll be back soon enough.

Sorry, but Quentin behaved like a jerk in a few scenes, tossing his glass into the fireplace and threatening Will with physical violence. He seems like a caricature of the original Quentin, and a bad one.

I would say that Barnabas was more humane to Will than Will was to him, given the circumstances. I can't help but feel that Will could have been kinder to Barnabas, especially since he planned to make a fortune and renew his fame from him. I did enjoy seeing Barnabas turn the tables on Will, who was so cruel to the vampire, forcing him to confess his sorrowful life story.

Quentin got the shock of his life when he saw Barnabas. That exact resemblance always shocks the current occupants of Collinwood.

Barnabas' expression upon seeing Julia in the room was touching. He didn't even look back at Quentin, but kept his eyes riveted on Julia, who is pitiful and sad in this scene.

I guess we can figure that this ghostly Joshua of PT, given his encounter with Barnabas here. He just wants this vampire/intruder to get out of town, without his help, and leave his family alone. Poor Barnabas was so desperate for his help, but there was none there. And Will's terror was comical.

Great episode. Karlen was wonderful in his victim role, all his bravado fled.

1013 - Much like Victoria Winters, Barnabas Collins finds himself a stranger in a sea of familiar faces...

Quentin and Barnabas return to the drawing room after witnessing Julia Hoffman in the alternate time band. I wish I could understand what's going on in that room, says Quentin. How many times have you witnessed these incidents? asks Barnabas. This was the fourth time, answers Quentin--I wonder who those people are and why the room is empty when they're in there. I have no answer for that, says Barnabas. Quentin, looking like he doesn't believe his newfound cousin, says, there's an even more disturbing question--why is it impossible to enter the room when those people are in there?  I agree, says Barnabas--it's disturbing. It's odd, says Quentin, because I had the feeling you found it less so. I don't understand," says Barnabas.  I believe that you are the Barnabas Collins those people are talking about," accuses Quentin. Uh oh--has Barnabas been caught in a lie?

Barnabas looks uneasy. You haven't answered me, Quentin reminds him.  Barn points out--it sounded more like a statement to me. Are you the same Barnabas those people are talking about? demands Quentin. No, I'm not, replies Barnabas. I've only known you a few hours, points out Quentin--how do I know whether or not you're telling me the truth? If I were that man, why would I lie about it? asks Barnabas--why not just admit it? For a very good reason, says Quentin--the Barnabas they're talking about has lived under a curse. What kind of curse? asks Barnabas. I don't know, says Quentin, but if you are that Barnabas, there's a very good reason for you to be afraid to reveal yourself. I can only reassure you I'm not the man you think I am, says Barnabas--you will simply have to take my word for it. Very well, says Quentin, smiling insincerely, I have to give you the benefit of the doubt, don't I?--you must admit your arrival here now at this time is an amazing coincidence. I can't dispute that, says Barnabas--thank you for understanding. Quentin pours himself a drink.  Barnabas offers him a word of advice--I don't understand the phenomenon of that room anymore than you do, but it might be dangerous for anyone to be in there should it happen again.
Dangerous how? asks Q. None of us understands it, says Barn, I would suggest that it might be safer for your sister in law to be in another room in the house. Quentin agrees--I'll talk to Alexis tonight. I understand that Alexis is your former wife's twin sister. Yes, says Quentin, that's right. What was your wife's name? asks Barnabas. Angelique, responds Quentin. A lovely name, remarks Barnabas (what is he really thinking)? She was a beautiful woman, says Quentin. How long ago did she die? asks Barnabas. About six months ago, says Quentin.  Barnabas apologizes--it must have come as quite a shock to you and Alexis. Alexis wasn't here at the time, says Quentin, she's only been here about a month; she's lived in Italy for several years. Have you ever met her before? asks Barnabas. No, says Quentin--you seem rather interested in Alexis--any particular reason? No, I just find her very attractive, admits Barn. Angelique enters with a bunch of flowers in her arms, reporting, Trask said an Express package just arrived for you, Quentin--he put it in the study--it came from Paris. Excuse me, Barnabas, says Quentin.  I must be going myself, says Barn--I hope to be talking to you again soon. After Quentin exits, Barnabas walks over to Angelique, asking her about Italy. Yes, she says, have you ever been there? Never, he says--where were you born? Right here in Collinsport, she says, arranging the flowers in a vase. Now that you're back, do you plan to stay? he asks. Quentin has asked me to stay, temporarily, she says, and I've agreed to it--why? He grins and says, "Mere curiosity."  Why would you be curious about me? she asks--you only met my this evening. Maybe just more than mere curiosity, he says, I couldn't help thinking about your sister's death after I saw her portrait. Angelique gives a barely perceptible start at his words. She asks, "What about her death?" Barnabas says, I wondered if your presence here meant Quentin had gotten over his wife's death. Or that he wanted me here, to remind himself of her, says Angelique. Yes, says Barn. I'm afraid both of your guesses are inaccurate, says Ang, because, aside from our looks, I am very different from my late sister--and from what I've heard from people who live here,
Quentin was very deeply in love with Angelique. I'm sure he was, says Barnabas, it's been a great pleasure to meet you, I hope we'll see each other again soon--good night. He leaves. She looks after him, a bit perturbed, and continues arranging the flowers.

Outside the front door of Collinwood, Barnabas wonders to himself, is she really Alexis? (and he just met her)! Or is she the Angelique I know?  I must find out about her--soon!--and I must go back to that room, now, while no one is there--it's my only hope of getting back to my own time. He disappears.

Quentin in opening his package when Angelique enters--am I interrupting a private moment? She asks. No, of course not, Q assures her. I couldn't contain my curiosity, she admits--I had to see what arrived from Paris. It's a portrait of Maggie, says Quentin, I had it commissioned while we were on our Riviera honeymoon. Are you pleased with it? she asks. I haven't seen it yet, he says. I can't wait to see what it looks like, says Angelique. I'm not sure I can, he confesses--when the portrait was started, Maggie and I were two people without a care in the world--now she's gone, it's all over--why should I keep this here as a constant reminder of her?  That depends on how you feel about Maggie, says Angelique--how DO you feel?  He doesn't answer, draws the portrait out of the crate and removes off the cover. (It really is a nice picture, looks a lot more like KLS than the Josette portrait did.) Angelique comments, she's very lovely. Yes, she is, agrees Quentin sadly. You really must hang this portrait over the fireplace in the drawing room, suggests Angelique--face it, she says, you are still very much in love with her and won't be happy until you have her here, back with you again! Quentin looks at her, startled.  We get another glimpse of Maggie's portrait.

There's no point in discussing Maggie, insists Quentin--it's obvious she's made up her mind she has no intention of coming back here. Do you want her back? asks Angelique. Does it make a difference? he asks. A great deal, she says--if you want her here, you'll bring her here. How? asks Quentin--am I supposed to drag her here against her will? Well, someone must take the initiative, insists Ang. I've already done that, says Quentin, she wouldn't answer my telegrams, or come to the phone when I call--what else can I do?  Try again, Angelique advises.  No, thank you, he says. You can't go on torturing yourself like this, she says. I'm not doing that, insists Quentin.  You are, she says--you think of no one but her, miss her much more than you're willing to admit. He walks past her, looks at the portrait. You do miss her, don't you? asks Ang. Yes, maybe I do, he says. Call her again, urges Angelique--I'm sure she feels the same way you do. No, says Quentin, I'm not going to call her again, I've already made enough overtures, the next move has to be hers. Quentin, you aren't going to let pride stand in your way? she asks.  Alexis, says Quentin, I appreciate your concern very much, but I don't want to talk about it anymore. Where are you going? she asks.  Maybe for a walk to think, he answers, and leaves. Angelique surveys Maggie's portrait and says, "We will get you back here, my dear, yes, we will get you back very soon." She picks up the phone and dials.

When Aunt Hannah answers the phone, Angelique orders, come to Collinwood immediately. You sound upset--has something happened? asks Hannah. No, we're going to make something happen, says Ang--I'll explain it all when you get here--come and bring all your amulets and herbs. You must tell me what you're going to do, insists Hannah. Don't be difficult, says Angelique--come, ASAP!  They hang up.

Angelique leads Hannah into the room with Maggie's portrait.  Where's Quentin? Hannah asks.  Out for a walk, her niece answers. If he finds us here when he returns, he'll be very suspicious, warns Hannah. Why should be be? asks Ang. You know he doesn't approve of me, Hannah reminds her. Even if he doesn't, says Ang, you are my relative, it's perfectly natural for you to come visit me. She shows her Maggie's portrait. She's very beautiful, remarks Hannah--I don't have to ask who she is. You're right, you don't, says Ang. I take it the second Mrs. Collins has decided to return to Collinwood, and you're worried--and understandably so, says Hannah. No, she hasn't, says Angelique, and Quentin is being very stubborn about persuading her to, which leaves it up to us. Hannah is puzzled. We will use our methods to force him to bring her back, says Angelique. You mean you WANT her to come back? asks Hannah. She's all he thinks about, complains Angelique, and as long as that's true, I haven't any hope of winning him back--as long as she's in New York, I can't fight her--I want her HERE, where I can deal with her. How will we get her here? asks Hannah.  We'll put a spell on Quentin, says Ang, reach deep into his heart and make him long for Maggie so much, he can't bear it. You may be making a great mistake, warns Hannah--a spell that affects the heart can be very dangerous. Not if it's kept under control, scoffs Angelique. It can't be kept under control, says Hannah, there's no telling how Quentin will react, he may even become violent. I don't care how he reacts, as long as he brings her back here, insists Angelique--that's all I want. You may lose him forever, warns Hannah. No, says Ang, Quentin will be mine again, it's just a matter of time--now, we're going to need madrigore (?) and spring water for the potion, and we must have it all ready before Quentin returns! She leaves the room.

Barnabas stands in Angelique's room, thinking to himself, I was standing in this very spot when the room changed before--let it change now!--let me go back to my own time! The door opens. Daniel enters, calling for Aunt Alexis. Barnabas whirls around to face him.  Daniel stares at him, astounded.

I know who you are, says Daniel--the man in the portrait--Barnabas Collins. Yes, agrees Barnabas, but not the one in the portrait, that was my great-great grandfather. I don't believe you, says Daniel--I know who you are--what are you doing here and how did you get in? Your father brought me here earlier, says Barnabas--Daniel. You know my name? asks the boy. Yes, says Barnabas, moving in closer, and I hope we're going to be friends. Stay away, orders Daniel.  Are you afraid of me? asks Barnabas. Yes, Daniel admits, although I don't know why. You mustn't be, says Barn. I want to go find my father, insists Daniel.  Do you plan to tell him that we met in this room? asks Barnabas.  He doesn't know you're here, does he? asks Daniel.  True, admits Barnabas.  I don't want to stay here anymore, declares Daniel--get out of my way.  I'll let you go in a moment, promises Barnabas. When Daniel tries to move past him, Barnabas grabs him by the arms and repeats, I'll let you go in a moment--first, you must look at me. I don't want to, says Daniel.  Barnabas forces the boy to look him in the eyes--tell me what you see, urges Barnabas. Daniel looks--I see myself, he says. Keep looking, says Barnabas, and you will see that your reflection is getting smaller and smaller--isn't it? Yes, it's getting smaller, agrees Daniel. In a moment, says Barnabas, you won't see yourself at all, and you will no longer be afraid, will you?
I will not be afraid, agrees Daniel. And when I let you leave this room, continues Barnabas, you will remember nothing of having seen me or having met me--do you understand? I understand, says Daniel. You may leave the room, says Barnabas.  Daniel does so.

After hanging Maggie's portrait above the mantle in the drawing room, Quentin steps back to look at it. Angelique enters, a carafe of water in her hand, and says, I'm so glad you decided to hang the portrait. Yes, says Quentin, she's a very beautiful woman. Angelique offers to fix him a drink, but refuses to join him--I still have some correspondence to catch up with. She mixes him a drink using the water from the carafe. He takes and sips it. Besides, she says, I think the two of you should be here alone, together.  She leaves.  Quentin sits on the sofa and looks up at Maggie's portrait, which morphs into Angelique's upstairs. In her niece's room, Hannah is applying the bellows to the fire, stoking it up. Angelique comes in--I put the potion in Quentin's drink, she says--he should be ready at any time. I'm still afraid of this, admits Hannah--there's no telling where it may lead to.  All I want, says Ang, is for the longing in his heart to force him to bring Maggie back here. She turns off the lights and says, Aunt Hannah, you built a fine fire--I'm ready now to begin the communication.  Angelique kneels and clasps her hands together--let the flames carry my thoughts to the one who is receptive to them--Quentin, hear me, hear my thoughts-- you are deeply in love with Maggie, you can think of no one but her.

In the drawing room, Quentin drinks.

And without her, continues Angelique, life is not worth living. Alexis! warns Hannah, but Angelique shushes her, then goes on--you allowed Maggie to leave Collinwood, now you know what a mistake that was--you know how much you need her and want her--you will bring her back to Collinwood, because you can no longer bear the guilt you feel, eating at your conscience--you must do something about it, very soon!

Quentin, looking tortured, gazes at the portrait then turns away.
Angelique rises to her feet--he should now be ready to do exactly as I want him to do, she says--I will go see him now. I should go with you, suggests Hannah. No, stay here, her niece says, and leaves the room. Hannah looks skeptical and worried.

Quentin, drunk and foolish, tilts his head to one side, goes to Maggie's portrait, and moves to take it down. He pushes against the mantle, stopping himself, then goes to the desk and reaches for a letter opener lying on the desk. Angelique enters--are you all right? she asks. No, he says, I'm not all right. He takes the letter opener and raises it like a weapon, coming at her. Quentin, what are you going to do? she demands, suddenly realizing the danger she's in. His face contorts with murderous fury as he advances toward her. Angelique screams.

NOTES: It always made me laugh when RT Angelique's evil spells went awry, and this one sure seems to have backfired on her, hasn't it? Hannah was right--or was she?

Barnabas hypnotized Daniel, who came across as a little adult. The kid is awfully imperious, isn't he, already acting like the heir-prince.

Interesting that Barnabas already suspects Alexis of being Angelique; do supernatural creatures "smell" each other somehow? Poor guy, all he wants is to go home, too bad there isn't a good witch to have him click his heels together and chant, "There's no place like home." Worked for Dorothy.

Portraits have played a huge role in almost every DS storyline from Laura to Barnabas to Angelique. Nice portrait of Maggie. She looks prettier with her hair down, but with a face like that, who needs hair? Maggie's picture vs. Angelique's--it sure would be fun to have some dueling portraits, wouldn't it?

Love, Robin