Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0471  (Read 1474 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0471
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:25:43 AM »
Robservations #471

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0471

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:22:19 AM »
This episode gives us a glimpse of the man Barnabas perhaps might have been if he had never met Angelique. It marks a turning point in Barnabas’s life, perhaps a result of Dr. Lang’s cure.

Barnabas arrives arrives at Collinwood, having just come home from the hospital (by way of Dr. Lang’s). He’s especially chipper because it’s the middle of the afternoon, as he notes when he greets Elizabeth. I’m glad to see you looking so well, Elizabeth says warmly, delighted at his speedy recovery. You seem troubled, Barnabas observes. Can you tell me what’s the matter? he asks--for the first time, with genuine concern. [I believe this is the first of a never-ending series of confidences that Barnabas receives from various family members in various time frames. Perhaps it’s the result of the treatments Dr. Lang has been giving him. Perhaps the memory of Sarah’s reproach--which happened just a few short days ago in actual time--as well as Julia’s influence has begun to affect him.]

Elizabeth is wearing a pretty green dress with a rolled collar.

Poor Barn has another relapse when he's talking to Vicki and suddenly decides that her throat looks particularly inviting this afternoon.

Welcome (I guess) Harry Johnson. Craig Slocum once again plays a young man who has done time in prison. Vicki nearly jumps out of her skin when she sees him. And like Noah before him, Harry looks around the sumptuous drawing room appreciatively. His mother warns him against getting "itchy fingers," but to no avail.

For the first time, we can see a large tree outside the drawing room windows. It's interesting to think that maybe Joshua or Jeremiah planted it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 02:45:37 AM »
Unwelcome, Hairy Johnson.   I like how Mrs. J shuts him up the second he gets two words out!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »
Roger, & Ange’s portrait are missing, and Liz is worried. She tells Barn that Roger acts as if he is possessed by it. Enter Vicki confirming ‘the possession’ by recounting her interaction with Roger/Joshua the evening prior, seconding Liz’s similar experience that Roger acts as if he is Joshua Collins. Vicki states that Roger took the portrait and left Collinwood. Mrs. Johnson asks Liz if Her son can stay at Collinwood while visiting her. Alone with Barnabas, Vicki says that she thinks Ange may be trying to finish what she started in 1795 by possessing Roger. Barn tries to dissuade Vicki’s train of thought as too incredible.

Vicki: After what I’ve been through, nothing seems too incredible.

Barn has a relapse of sorts hardly being able to resist biting Vicki during their conversation. Vicki suggests seeing Lang and Barn leaves. Vicki screams at the sight of Harry Johnson. Sarah & her son – what a hoot!

Harry: Oh, great! Just like the old times, right maw? – ROTFLMAO!

Lang suggests a transfusion for Barn’s current ills. They discuss the plan for a permanent cure with Lang only revealing that Barn can take on the physical appearance of Jeff Clark. Even a vampire has trouble wrapping its mind around that idea, lol.

Harry and his sticky fingers are on the prowl in the drawing room. Well, if it causes another confrontation with maw, I’m all for it.

Afterthoughts: When Noah Gifford was terrorizing David, I had wondered if Vicki was going to recognize him as Harry. Now I know why she didn’t. How many people expected Harry instead of Barnabas at the door after Mrs. Johnson asked permission for her visiting son to stay Collinwood?

DarkLady, I love the sentimental thought of yours about the tree outside the drawing room windows.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:59:59 AM »
It's so bizarre and out of the blue for Lang to ask Barnabas if he wanted the appearance of Jeff Clark.   He obviously couldn't have suspected anything close to the truth.   So what would Barnabas think?   That Lang is selling hair care products in his spare time?   I'd certainly expect a flummoxed Barnabas to say something like, "So, what's your point?  You find fault with my appearance?   Some used to quite like my looks at one time... I had to beat witches off with a stick, which is how we're in this mess right now...."   Or a more subtle jab back at Lang than that.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 01:25:47 AM »
It's so bizarre and out of the blue for Lang to ask Barnabas if he wanted the appearance of Jeff Clark.   He obviously couldn't have suspected anything close to the truth.   So what would Barnabas think?   That Lang is selling hair care products in his spare time?   I'd certainly expect a flummoxed Barnabas to say something like, "So, what's your point?  You find fault with my appearance?   Some used to quite like my looks at one time... I had to beat witches off with a stick, which is how we're in this mess right now...."   Or a more subtle jab back at Lang than that.

MT,

Maybe Dr. Lang should just told Barnabas that he could give Mr. B. Jeff' Clark's classic nose and groovy head of hair? [easter_huh] [easter_cool] [easter_rolleyes] [easter_wink]

Bob

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 02:35:03 AM »
Thanks, dom! *blush*

Magnus, I'm laughing again!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 03:51:27 AM »
Mrs J looking perplexed notices the painting is gone. Barnabas looking longingly at Vickie's neck. Vickie screams at the door when she sees Noah and I about jumped out of my skin. Barnabas can look like Jeff? I'm not sure that is an incentive. Eric has a plan.  The desk is back in the drawing room, the easel is gone and there is a cabinet at the foot of the stairs. Busy day for Mrs. j.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
Great catches AD, sometimes I am wondering if I am losing my mind - I should know better - poor Mrs. J., no wonder why she is sometimes 'testy' - well, now she's got Harry to do all the heavy lifting, lol.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 05:40:07 AM »
Imagine, for a moment, Barnabas actually taking Dr. Lang up on his absurd offer. Barnabas would not only look like Jeff Clark but he would have to BECOME Jeff Clark in order to make the ruse work. He'd have to give up his whole identity as a Collins, including his beloved Old House and even his wolf's-head cane! Plus, he could never spend hours reminiscing about the past as is his wont.

Would having Vicki really be worth sacrificing all that?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 07:23:52 AM »
He'd screw it up.  It would be funny watching Jeffabas "playing" Clark but as Barnabas sees Clark, not as he really is!  He'd try to start out as Jeff, then make a gradual transition to Barnabas, because, yes, what's the point, unless you get to be yourself?  Then he's redo Clark's do, giving him forehead spikes, and the bat would be out of the bag...