Author Topic: Julia  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Julia
« on: July 19, 2002, 05:14:15 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that Julia's "Encounter with the Vampire" was handled about as badly as it could be?

Every single thing Julia did, or did not do, made the least possible sense, given who she is and what she knows.  She's confronted by a vampire: what does she do?  Does she look around for one of the many stakes Willlie's surely left lying around?  No. Does she RUN!!!??  NO!.  She stands there and screams.

Now, she's been bitten by a vampire: what does she do?  Does she run, shrieking for Barnabas (the man most likely to confront a vampire and prevail)?  No.  Does she call Willie to drive her to Windcliffe at once where she can be locked in and prevented from meeting the vampire again?  No.  She puts on her peignoir and goes to bed.

Evening comes and she's compelled to go to her Vampire: what does she do?  Does she pace her room, desperate not to give in?  No.  Does she struggle with herself not to open that door and take the first step? No.  She puts on her scarf and sails down the stairs like a debutante on her way to a cotillion.

With the exception of Willie, every vampire-bite sequence (of a major character) has had a seductive quality to it.  Why not Julia's?  Who deserved it more?

This entire sequence had the look of something ill conceived, badly planned and very, very rushed, as though they had exactly so many minutes alloted to Julia's entire vampire experience and by god they'd better get it in on time.  Why?  This show ALWAYS moved at a snails pace....what was the rush, all of a sudden?

Grayson Hall must have been furious.  I hope she bitch-slapped SOMEBODY!!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Julia
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2002, 05:21:38 AM »

I kept thinking, why doesn't Julia just inject herself with some of that serum she used on Barnabas to cure him of his vampirism, way back when. Maybe she forgot the formula.  ?!?
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2002, 09:14:25 AM »
I originally figured she didn't know what Tom looked like and so wouldn't have time to try to protect herself when he came in.  But, he revealed his fangs early on and gave her some time.  Surely she, of all people, would have had the presence of mind to pick up something to fashion a makeshift cross and hold it up.  She could have at least tried!!

The subsequent reaction I can see both ways.  Joe tried to resist, but was never successful.  Apparently she is so much under his spell that her normal good sense and knowledge have simply vanished and she does whatever she needs to in order to be a "good victim" for him.

By the way, at the end of yesterday (and again in the repeat today), one could see Tom's bare arm in the background at the back of the room.  Julia heard the footsteps and looked around, but he was standing there all along!!
Josette

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2002, 11:50:01 AM »
By the way, at the end of yesterday (and again in the repeat today), one could see Tom's bare arm in the background at the back of the room.  Julia heard the footsteps and looked around, but he was standing there all along!!  

Yes, Josette, I always liked this blooper! I have a hobby of trying to rationally explain such bloopers. It could be that the footsteps were of one of the many intruders in the Old House (David, Adam, Stokes, Nicholas, etc) who walked around upstairs and left, thinking no one was at home. Or, perhaps it was the ghost of Rev. Trask, tapping on the bricks. Or, perhaps Tom was sadistically tapping on something, just to put a scare into her before he attacked.   ?!?

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 07:08:13 PM »
I just think the intrepid Dr. Hoffman simply enjoyed the attention of young Tom Jennings--even if he was a frickin' vampire!

It's the most action she ever got in Collinsport!
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 07:29:23 PM »

It's the most action she ever got in Collinsport!

....and the only action of that variety!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 10:48:48 PM »

Evening comes and she's compelled to go to her Vampire: what does she do?  Does she pace her room, desperate not to give in?  No.  Does she struggle with herself not to open that door and take the first step? No.  She puts on her scarf and sails down the stairs like a debutante on her way to a cotillion.

And why not? Julia hasn't gotten any action in years. She's pining away after that creep Barnabas who won't give her the time of day, and finally some young, hunky vamp pays a little attention to her . . . why should she resist? Clearly she's enjoying her new boyfriend!

With the exception of Willie, every vampire-bite sequence (of a major character) has had a seductive quality to it.  Why not Julia's?  Who deserved it more?

I definitely thought there was a certain amount of seduction in their meeting in the woods. And when Tom ordered her back to Collinwood she offered "I'll say here with you if you want."

This entire sequence had the look of something ill conceived, badly planned and very, very rushed, as though they had exactly so many minutes alloted to Julia's entire vampire experience and by god they'd better get it in on time.

Rushed . . . now there we agree. I would have liked to see this whole scenario explored with more depth. I'm guessing here but I think they only intended to use Don Brisco for a short-term stint, hence the short length of this sequence.

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 11:06:54 PM »

And why not? Julia hasn't gotten any action in years. She's pining away after that creep Barnabas who won't give her the time of day, and finally some young, hunky vamp pays a little attention to her . . . why should she resist? Clearly she's enjoying her new boyfriend!

Ha!  I agree, lol.  And really, Jennings treats her better than Barnabas ever did.  Even now, when B. should be concerned with her welfare, he's still pushing her to work on "the experiment" for Vicki's sake, of course.  
You notice how willing (and anxious) she was for Tom to bite her today?  Got rid of that old scarf in no time, exposed her neck, and fell right into his embrace...woo hoo!

MrsJ.

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2002, 11:32:16 PM »

Yes, Josette, I always liked this blooper! I have a hobby of trying to rationally explain such bloopers. It could be that the footsteps were of one of the many intruders in the Old House (David, Adam, Stokes, Nicholas, etc) who walked around upstairs and left, thinking no one was at home. Or, perhaps it was the ghost of Rev. Trask, tapping on the bricks. Or, perhaps Tom was sadistically tapping on something, just to put a scare into her before he attacked.   ?!?

My favorite excuse is that vampires can move faster than sound, so he was already hiding by the time his footsteps could be heard!  :D

As for Julia, is she reacting any differently than Maggie when Barnabas first put the bite on her?  Even the newbie vampires seem to have incredible powers of hypnosis over their victims.  

"Just one bite...that's all it took, yeah, just one bite..."

Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2002, 02:25:50 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that Julia's "Encounter with the Vampire" was handled about as badly as it could be?

Every single thing Julia did, or did not do, made the least possible sense, given who she is and what she knows.  She's confronted by a vampire: what does she do?  Does she look around for one of the many stakes Willlie's surely left lying around?  No. Does she RUN!!!??  NO!.  She stands there and screams.

Now, she's been bitten by a vampire: what does she do?  Does she run, shrieking for Barnabas (the man most likely to confront a vampire and prevail)?  No.  Does she call Willie to drive her to Windcliffe at once where she can be locked in and prevented from meeting the vampire again?  No.  She puts on her peignoir and goes to bed.

Well, I liked it. I think Julia rather welcomed the chance and didn't care to overly fight the vampire. After all, she volunteered her neck to Barney and was summarily turned down flat. She may feel some mixed emotions with her lingering Barney-lust, but over all I get the impression that she is finally successful with a vampire and not too distressed about it!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2002, 05:28:45 AM »
It appeared as though Tom enjoyed himself also. When Barnabas removed Julia's scarf her neck was rather reddish where Tom had been really getting into it! Barnabas seemed stunned at the sight of that.

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2002, 06:43:26 AM »
Bj said:
"My favorite excuse is that vampires can move faster than sound, so he was already hiding by the time his footsteps could be heard!  :D"

Hey, that's one I never thought of, Bj! Good job!

SDP