Author Topic: How vampires learn their business  (Read 650 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
How vampires learn their business
« on: July 18, 2002, 07:09:25 AM »
Most vampires seem to automatically know what to do.  When Barnabas first arose in 1795, he didn't know what his curse was, but soon found out and clearly did the "appropriate" things.

Tom already clearly seems to know what he's about!

So, how is it that Angelique, of all people, who did this to Barnabas and surely should know all about it, seems to be so uncertain as to what to do.  Nicholas has to tell her that she has to summon Joe herself and assures her that he will hear and that he needs her.  I really couldn't understand that she needed instruction!

And then, when Joe didn't respond, she went "begging" to Nicholas for help and he forced her to do it herself, which she soon did.  I really couldn't see Angelique acting like that with Nicholas!!!

Besides, she not only has her vampire powers, but she used to summon people like that as a witch, so she certainly should be quite familiar with it.

P.S.  I couldn't find the original thread to tack this on to it - when there was a discussion of the location of Joe's bite marks in the mirror scene the other day - I went back to the tape, before setting it up to tape over it for the next day, and checked.  We originally see Joe facing us - so the right side of the screen was his left side.  They turned around and showed the bite from the other side, to see Angelique doing it.  It's definitely Joe's left side.

Then in the mirror, he faces the mirror, pulls down the left side of the sweater and looks at the marks, which appear on the left side of the mirror (the right side of the mirror figure).  So, that one WAS correct.

However, the next day, Angelique bit him on the right side!!  It's not bad enough he has to have marks to cover up, he's got them on both sides now!!!!
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: How vampires learn their business
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 08:46:27 AM »
Most vampires seem to automatically know what to do.  When Barnabas first arose in 1795, he didn't know what his curse was, but soon found out and clearly did the "appropriate" things.

Tom already clearly seems to know what he's about!

So, how is it that Angelique, of all people, who did this to Barnabas and surely should know all about it, seems to be so uncertain as to what to do.  Nicholas has to tell her that she has to summon Joe herself and assures her that he will hear and that he needs her.  I really couldn't understand that she needed instruction!

Each case you've presented is different.  Barnabas was cursed by a witch but died from a bat's bite nonetheless, his conscience intact (though based on his behavior at different times on the series, some might argue against that last point).  Tom was sired by a vampire:  fanged and eventually perishing from loss of blood, and his behavior is the same as other vampire victims on the show-- they're driven only by their bloodlust, at least in the beginning.  Angelique was stripped of her powers and immortality, died as a human, and was transformed by a warlock.  I think as a result of that, she doesn't have the same instincts.

And then, when Joe didn't respond, she went "begging" to Nicholas for help and he forced her to do it herself, which she soon did.  I really couldn't see Angelique acting like that with Nicholas!!!

But I could totally see him enjoying his role as her "mentor".

Besides, she not only has her vampire powers, but she used to summon people like that as a witch, so she certainly should be quite familiar with it.

Yet she's a witch without her powers (assuming once a witch, always a witch).

P.S.  I couldn't find the original thread to tack this on to it - when there was a discussion of the location of Joe's bite marks in the mirror scene the other day

I don't remember that.  Could it have been on the SciFi board?