Author Topic: The Adam Storyline - your thoughts?  (Read 3550 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: The Adam Storyline - your thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2002, 02:47:46 AM »

Think of how much more interesting, say, Sky Rumson might have been had Robert Rodan been cast instead of the blank piece of cardboard who got the part... [wink2]

After meeting Mr. Rodan and having the pleasure of his company during the Festival Banquet, I agree with you 100% on this comment. He shared with all at the table how & why he wanted very much to create a unique monster personality for  the character of Adam. He definitely would have brought more life to Sky Rumson.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2002, 04:41:47 AM »
I think this TL is interesting, but then again I'm viewing it for the first time. I loove the aspect of Carolyn/Adam relationship, but then again, I think Carolyn and anyone are completely adorable  ;D  ::) Angie was never one of my fav chars  :P but now seeing her with Nicholas, whom I adooore, I think they're absolutely hysterical! I love them! But earlier ... omg with Lang and that EVIL TAPE RECORDER FROM HELL!!! ... *bolts, screaming, out of room* THAT was painful!!! * physically winces* What the TL is developing into right now I like very much, but the early days of Adam were .... erhm .. not my favorite. But I think Robert Rodan is a really great actor, and that sux he was never used again. I guess those scars on his face stayed permanant [i.e., he was typecast as a villian], but then again, I have no idea who Skye Rumsin is. Sounds like a kewl name, though! But, same as with Jane Draper [SUUUKIII!!] I wish he'd been used again. *le sigh*  :-/

lol oh yeah, Welcome Perankh! [hello]
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline jthomas_123

• Junior Poster
  • I love Maggie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2002, 07:53:07 AM »
I don't like the whole idea of a Man Created Man. I do like the whole Nicholas Blair and Angelique thing. Things are way more interesting with Nicholas Blair. And with Angelique {POSSIBLE SPOILER} returning as a Vampire.

I just can't wait till Beth and Quentin's arrival, and the 1897 Storyline.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2002, 10:20:55 AM »
but they never got around to THE MUMMY [coulda got the kid from Lost in Space]

No, but they came pretty close to it with the ghost of Jeremiah and that awful torn up bandage he always wore. ;)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2002, 10:40:16 AM »
On the one hand you get things like Tom Jennings (pardon me while I drool

is he in the montage? :)

Which one is he?;)

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2002, 11:10:11 AM »
is he in the montage? :)

Which one is he?;)

Tom Jennings is the hunk, who was Nicholas Blair's handyman and Angelique's first victim. Don Briscoe was the actor who played the role of both Tom and also Chris Jennings.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2002, 11:33:25 AM »
montage is gone :'(

I guess i will know soon enough though:)

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2002, 04:33:52 PM »

Think of how much more interesting, say, Sky Rumson might have been had Robert Rodan been cast instead of the blank piece of cardboard who got the part... [wink2]

A very good point to make!  Although I, too, am getting a bit tired of the Adam storyline, I have always felt that Adam's combination of brute strength and childlike vulnerability made a character you can't help feeling for.  All in all, given the limitations of the Adam character and storyline, I think Robert Rodan did a fine job in creating a very human "monster".  
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Thom

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2002, 05:51:09 PM »
Perhank if that is your picture you are really hot!! Sorry for the possibly unwelcome mention but I had to say that!

As for the Adam storyline, this is when the show started to  undo itself. This isn't really a spoiler but when you see Angelique in her flowing filmy green nightgown once, be prepared to see her only in that awful looking thing for MONTHS. You would think the fashion dept. would have put a beautiful blonde vampiress in something black and slinky but noooooo.....

Ron Sproat is the writer who created the Angelique character for the 1795 flashback and eventually he quits the show in late 1968(during the Adam era) because he gets tired of writing about man made monsters, evil women in nightgowns(there is another one to come) and not focusing on the Collins family and Collinwood. The show rectifies this somewhat with the Quentin/Amy/David storyline but I won't give you details. Just be prepared to watch patiently.

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2002, 08:42:13 PM »
montage is gone :'(

I guess i will know soon enough though:)

there is a 'grab' of Briscoe in todays robservations!

[doubble entendre intended] ;D
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2002, 03:11:05 AM »
A belated welcome to you, Perankh!  It's always wonderful to see another 'cousin' arrive.

The Adam storyline has never been a favorite of mine. Compared to the rest of the series, it's very boring and weak where plot, dialogue, and creativity are concerned.  I agree with you that it relies too heavily on Frankenstein for its inspiration. While I've enjoyed watching and re-watching the classic Universal monster movies since I was ten, I was never able to work up much enthusiasm for the Frankenstein films (and unfortunately, that's the longest series.)  The idea of a man-made human being is so much less mystical than ghosts, shape-shifters, or vampires.  Coming to this after the quality and excitement of 1795 only heightens my disappointment.  Looking at some of the ideas that DS uses in the future, I do think that the writers could have tried a little harder here.

However, there are some nice aspects to it: the introductions of Professor Stokes and Nicholas Blair, Angelique's aging scenes.  I do think that bringing in Adam was an interesting way for the writers to deal with Barnabas's 'affliction' and his evolving character.  

Actually, watching this the second time around hasn't been as painful as I'd anticipated.  I think I've gained a greater respect for Robert Rodan's acting, particularly during Adam's early stages.  It must have been difficult to create a plausible character using only hand gestures and facial expressions, but he pulled it off very well.  In fact, I think Adam is a more human and sympathetic character than even Karloff's creature.  If it came down to whether or not I would watch this storyline a third time though, I think I would stick only to selected episodes and Robservations.  

ProfStokes

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2002, 04:17:26 AM »

No, but they came pretty close to it with the ghost of Jeremiah and that awful torn up bandage he always wore. ;)

Hey, that's right, Cass! LOL! And another thing . . .

(possible spoilers) . . .

didn't we eventually see the mummified remains of a certain couple in the 1841 story line? I think Amanda and Brutus from the 1600's but I'm not sure.

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2002, 11:47:53 AM »
Perhank if that is your picture you are really hot!! Sorry for the possibly unwelcome mention but I had to say that

I wish that was me ;D - no that is Alejandro Sanz a singer/songwriter from Spain.  I too think he is delicious ;)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2002, 05:07:21 AM »
 I have to be totally honest that i have been rather bored with the adam storyline.  It doesn't do much for me at all.

Some of it is boring, but it's better now. My favorite part of this storyline is Harry Johnson (Craig Slocum). I watch his scenes again and again.  :-*
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan