Author Topic: Dark Shadows games & toys  (Read 1722 times)

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows games & toys
« on: June 14, 2002, 06:30:42 PM »
Hey folks... can anyone answer this question for me:  Are the fangs that come with the Barnabas Collins game supposed to be just the upper teeth or both the bottom and top teeth together?  I ordered a game online and got just the top teeth... but it looks like from some other pictures I've seen that this is probably right.  I did see a pic, however, that had a full set of teeth displayed as the original fangs... I think maybe that was someone who had replaced the originals not knowing how they actually looked?

Also, has anyone ever ordered the Barnabas Collins Vampire Van?  Is it "way cool"?

Any other favorite DS toys?

Joe  :-)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows games & toys
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 10:01:08 PM »
I've got the game, too (found in a flea market), but sans fangs.  I thought - but am not sure - that they were connected uppers and lowers.

Gerard

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 11:04:35 PM »
I have the Barnabas Collins Game, Dark Shadows Game, both jigsaw puzzles, and the Vampire Van. The fangs in the Barnabas Collins game are the upper teeth only.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2002, 01:47:01 AM »
Very good... thanks for clearing that up.  Looks like my "new" fangs are authentic!   :-)

I read on a website that there were two releases of the Barnabas Collines game, and that the coffin is of higher quality in one than in the other.  Does anyone know the specifics on this?

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2002, 02:14:20 AM »
I own two different versions of these BC games from Milton Bradley.  The first one I had in 1969 when I was a child, did not survive childhood! But I remember it had the upper portion of fangs. In 1980, I bought one at a DS Con auction for $5.00, and it had no fangs!   I later found another one at a flea market in 1983, in mint condition for $20.00!  This game also had the upper set of teeth just like my original 1969 one.   Even the box cover shows the upper set, so I assume that this is the only pair of fangs that were made.  There are some dealers out there, especially on ebay that try to pass off new dime store upper and lower teeth as the real thing.

I should point out though, that there were two different sets of coffins in the game. In the first issued 1969 edition, the Barnabas coffin lid is made from a hard sturdy plastic. The lettering that says, "Barnabas Collins Coffin" is in a gothic old English lettering.  In the second edition from 1970-on, The coffin lid is made from a cheap flexible bendy type of plastic. And the lettering is not in Gothic style either. Fortunately, the one I found at a flea market was the original hard plastic one!  

Which coffin lid do you have?

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 06:18:26 AM »
Let's see... only the first letter of each word is in old-English style lettering, similar to that used on the show's logo... the "B" and two "C"'s.  (For "Barnabas Collins' Coffin.")  All the other letters are in normal type.  The plastic is somewhat hard but is still flexible.  Which one do you think I have?  Thanks!

Joe

p.s.... I don't have the little insert that the fangs are supposed to fit into, or the "object of the game" piece of paper... do you think this will reduce the value of my game significantly?  All other pieces, including fangs, are intact and the box is in good shape with no tears.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2002, 07:01:10 AM »

I also have both versions of the Barnabas Collins Game with the 2 different coffin lids. The one with the Old English letters is much nicer, it also has bats on both sides of the word coffin, the other does not. It's more detailed. Joe, since your game has the fangs, I don't think it would reduce the value of the game significantly. The fangs are hard to come by. The other 2 things are not.   :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2002, 07:40:18 PM »
Hi Joe,
Sounds like you have the first issue game if your coffin if it is in the hard plastic. You are right, I looked at mine again, and only the B and C are in the Old English style lettering.  The second issue "thin lid" did not have the bats on the coffin like the first one did.  Any item will always be worth more if it as complete as possible. I think the inserts are fairly rare, since most people threw them out originally. Not having them, as well as the fangs, will reduce the price considerably in my collectors opinion.  Those games are not too rare since MB made plenty of them in the 60's. I remember Xmas time 1971 seeing a bunch on them on the toy store shelves, and DS was off the air for 8 months by then! I also used to see the DS viewmaster in the stores as late as 1975, (GIF did not discontinue it until 1974) but stupid me only bought one of them.  

By the way, on the DS DVD special edition there is a wonderful 1969 commercial with Frid and Terry Crawford plugging the DS game.

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2002, 01:45:43 PM »
Thanks to both of you for your insights.  I'm comfortable now that I have the first edition of the game, and that the "fangs" are authentic.  Now if I can find one of these Barnabas vans!   :-)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2002, 02:18:31 AM »
A "Vampire Van"????? :o

Can someone e-mail a pic of this??? This sounds hysterical!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2002, 03:50:16 AM »
A "Vampire Van"????? :o

Can someone e-mail a pic of this??? This sounds hysterical!!

http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/barnabas.html

Enjoy! ;)