Author Topic: Conard Fowkes remembers Thayer David  (Read 603 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Conard Fowkes remembers Thayer David
« on: September 13, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »
Dear Fans,

This lovely remembrance was posted on a Facebook group in honor of Thayer David.  It is run by a relative of Thayer's--his nephew, I think. I had never seen this particular note before:

Actor Conard Fowkes (Frank Garner, 1966) remembers Thayer David: "I loved being with those actors in the dressing room. The work was hard, but people like Thayer David, who was a real hoot, kind of a Sydney Greenstreet-like, very educated man, would sit in the makeup chair and he would pontificate. He would tell us meanings or derivations of certain words. I remember he did an entire piece on “hoist on your own petard” and where that came from. I won’t go into it because it’s slightly smutty… but it’s that kind of camaraderie that brings you close together.

Best, G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Conard Fowkes remembers Thayer David
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
Thanks, Gothick. I like this behind-the-scenes stuff very much.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Conard Fowkes remembers Thayer David
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
Another memory of Thayer concerning his Down East accent in his Matthew Morgan role:

"A point-- he "wore," a mid-Atlantic accent, in real life and on screen. It sounds to an American like an English accent, but it's more theater than anything. Like a trained broadcaster's voice. However, when he was playing a native Mainer, his Maine accent was real. Although he was born outside of Boston, he spent a great deal of his young life in northern Maine, at his father's farm."

G.