Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1127  (Read 1652 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1127
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1127
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 05:25:06 PM »
I wonder if after the days taping was done if John went home with his hair like that. Wow.

Selby nonchalantly pushes Penneck's wheelchair aside when he nearly runs over his foot. Hilarious. Very painful storyline for Selby.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 05:47:45 PM »
Thanks for being here, Wicked One!  Your great sacrifice is appreciated.....

Wasn't Desmond's hair fixed by this time?  If I remember right, it was pretty similar to the hair other men his age were going home with...  I only dislike bushy hair on men if it's, I don't know, like it was on Desmond in his first episode, or if a guy just decided to take a regular old-fashioned parted haircut and just grow it out, so it ends up looking like a 50s haircut only insanely bushy.   As far as I'm concerned, Desmond has been fixed, hair-wise.  But then, I'm an early 70s guy (very selectively).

Desmond brings Q1 up-to-speed quickly and efficiently... and Q gets it fast.   The League to Battle Bodiless Heads and Headless Bodies has been formed.   Without Barnabas!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
Thanks for being here, Wicked One!  Your great sacrifice is appreciated.....

I came across one of your posts where you said something about only you and another cousin would most likely be the only ones to post in the 1840 thread. Well, I felt bad about that, so I am attempting to watch an episode daily to keep up. Actually, I've found that I actually like this storyline.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »
Thanks Janet, and I'm glad you're getting something out of it, because I was starting to feel a bit "needy"!   I wouldn't want it to be a real sacrifice for you.   As for Lydia, at this point she might be posting just because the Watching Project is her baby.

There's always the possibility of mocking, if an episode is unendurable...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 06:38:04 PM »
I really am enjoying this storyline. I think Gabriel is my favorite. He is pure evil.

So what is Desmond to Quentin? Are they cousins? Is Flora Daniel's sister?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »
So what is Desmond to Quentin? Are they cousins? Is Flora Daniel's sister?

I always wondered about that myself. As we know from 1795, Daniel's only sibling was poor Millicent, whose brief and unfortunate marriage to Nathan Forbes produced no children; she died more or less insane and, according to Daniel, long before 1840. I would guess that Flora is some sort of widowed cousin-in-law who married a now-dead Collins cousin who was Desmond's father. I can't imagine her being born a Collins, having Desmond out of wedlock (the horror!) and being so calmly accepted by the rest of the family. I suppose that in between bouts of madness Daniel is still a nice fellow and has allowed her and Desmond to live at Rose Cottage, probably for some nominal fee if any.

I also like this story line! I'll try to post at least something for each episode. I've always admired how skillfully Pennock uses the wheelchair as a prop. At one point he practically pops a wheelie with it.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »
I've always admired how skillfully Pennock uses the wheelchair as a prop. At one point he practically pops a wheelie with it.
Yes, I've been admiring Pennock's skill as well.

Flora is indeed a mystery.  She can't be a closer relation to Quentin than a cousin, but surely if Joshua had had more cousins than Daniel and Millicent, then those additional cousins would have been invited to the wedding in 1795.  I toyed just now with the idea that Desmond's father was a son of Joshua and Naomi who came in between Barnabas and Sarah and who was off seeking his own, independent fortune in 1795, but that can't be right because it would have been mentioned when Julia came on the scene.  I always get the feeling that Flora is a blood cousin, which complicates matters even further, because, as DarkLady says, it is unimaginable that she would be an unwed mother, so Miss Flora Collins would have had to marry her cousin Mr. Collins, so now we have two branches of the family who were not invited to the big wedding.  Maybe the Mr. Collins whom Flora married was no relation to the Collinsport Collinses - after all, Collins isn't so very uncommon a name (which reminds me, it amuses me to imagine that Senator Susan Collins of Maine is a Collinsport Collins) - but that's another thing that would surely have been mentioned.  All I can say is, Flora's place in the Collins genealogy is just about as difficult to figure out as the question of how 1795 Trask managed to father Lamar Trask.

Quentin apparently knew, without being told, who Judah Zachery was, and I have the impression that Desmond knew who the Head was when he bought it.  Desmond's original idea was that the Head would be a great joke, but if Quentin, with his knowledge of and belief in the occult, had been presented with the Head of Judah Zachery, what would he have done?

Incidentally, I hate the word "occult" as it is used on Dark Shadows.  It always sounds wrong to me.

Desmond said quite casually that he had disposed of Tim Braithwaite's body.  I wonder what he did with it.  The traditional Collins method would be to bury it in the woods, I guess, but honestly, the writers are becoming quite offhand about corpse disposal, aren't they?  I remember when Barnabas killed a certain someone (but not Someone) back in 1967, and we saw Barnabas and Willie carrying the body to the place Barnabas had chosen for it.  Now it's just "Reader, I buried him" - or some such thing.

"I know with whom I must spend the rest of my life."  What a sentence to have to pronounce!  Virginia Vestoff didn't sound terribly comfortable with it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
Quentin apparently knew, without being told, who Judah Zachery was, and I have the impression that Desmond knew who the Head was when he bought it.  Desmond's original idea was that the Head would be a great joke, but if Quentin, with his knowledge of and belief in the occult, had been presented with the Head of Judah Zachery, what would he have done?

I think that neither Desmond nor Q#1 knew much, or anything, about Judah to start with.   After Ben died, Daniel talked to Desmond about the Bedford atrocities, or about later incidents with a disembodied head, or both.   Desmond did research on this at the newspaper.   Being under Judah's spell revealed it all, I suppose.

Then Desmond had his first relatively spell-free day, and rushed to First Quentin, and then, off-camera, Desmond filled Q in on it all.  When we the viewers come back, Q knows all about Judah because of Desmond.

My concentration is not good now, so I may have misunderstood the point on which there was confusion.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:50:08 PM »
"Reader, I buried him"

[clap2]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 06:02:35 PM »
Flora is indeed a mystery.  She can't be a closer relation to Quentin than a cousin, but surely if Joshua had had more cousins than Daniel and Millicent, then those additional cousins would have been invited to the wedding in 1795.  I toyed just now with the idea that Desmond's father was a son of Joshua and Naomi who came in between Barnabas and Sarah and who was off seeking his own, independent fortune in 1795, but that can't be right because it would have been mentioned when Julia came on the scene.  I always get the feeling that Flora is a blood cousin, which complicates matters even further, because, as DarkLady says, it is unimaginable that she would be an unwed mother, so Miss Flora Collins would have had to marry her cousin Mr. Collins, so now we have two branches of the family who were not invited to the big wedding.  Maybe the Mr. Collins whom Flora married was no relation to the Collinsport Collinses - after all, Collins isn't so very uncommon a name (which reminds me, it amuses me to imagine that Senator Susan Collins of Maine is a Collinsport Collins) - but that's another thing that would surely have been mentioned.  All I can say is, Flora's place in the Collins genealogy is just about as difficult to figure out as the question of how 1795 Trask managed to father Lamar Trask.

Perhaps her husband's side of the family was too far away to attend the 1796 wedding or they couldn't make it for whatever reason.  I always thought that Abner Collins may have been her husband.  Perhaps Flora & her husband came to Collinwood at Daniel's invitation sometime in the early part of the nineteenth century.

Offline libshad84

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »
I've heard somewhere that Flora's husband could have been Jeremiah and Laura's son. We know that Jeremiah and Laura were married at one time. A previous marriage was hinted at between Jeremiah and Joshua in one of the first 1795 episodes. In 1897 when Laura returned, Barnabas remembered "Laura" as Jeremiah's first wife. The timeline would fit - the son was born before 1795 w/Flora being in the 40-50 age range.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:47 PM »
Welcome, LS84!

Offline libshad84

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 03:42:01 AM »
Welcome, LS84!

Thanks! I registered a year or 2 ago, but for some reason my computer doesn't work well with this site. I can access it at work or using Firefox at home, which is what I'm doing now.