Author Topic: Eve's obsession....  (Read 8824 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Eve's obsession....
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2007, 11:09:08 AM »
Is it who I think it is?   Just worked it out; couldn't be anyone else.   Perhaps some people should be spoken ill of, whatever their life status.   Late 1968 just knocked the wind out of me.    It's starting to make me angry under the surface, I'm starting to suspect.    I feel myself appreciating 1841PT now, without even seeing it again, by comparison.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »
Perhaps some people should be spoken ill of, whatever their life status.
Veering off onto another subject entirely...the whole "Don't speak ill of the dead" business must be tough in Dark Shadowsland.  "I'd like to say something uncomplimentary about Quentin, but I can't remember: is he dead today or not?"

1968 didn't hit me that hard, but I was very happy to see Tom Jennings when he appeared, and not just because he's easy on the eyes.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
Factor in that I'm burning myself out, marathoning it all.    I just went through a whole year in, however long it's been since you sent the tapes.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2007, 12:50:44 PM »
That's a year's worth of episodes in just 3 weeks.  Maybe the title of this thread should be changed from Eve's obsession to Magnus's obsession.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2007, 07:04:46 PM »
Easy to do. I watched several entire storylines in a few weeks' time myself after getting all the DVD's. Now I will lay off for a while because I have other things to do but it sure is great to be able to watch DS anytime you want.

Alondra
;D

Offline Elizabeth47

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
I have to agree that eve period is horrible. Marie Wallace is such a good actress but i dont like her as eve. The whole adameve period was so boreing. the only thing i like was that my fav character of all time was on Nicholas Blair. [spoiler]I was very sad lolll when nicholas died.[/spoiler] I have said this before Dan Curtis did not use Humbert Allen Astredo talent enough on dark shadows. I like adam in the begining to when he is just learning to talk and all. but as much as i love nicholas he did ruin adam!!

I agree with you Evan, the Adam/Eve storyline was a little dull, but it did give us the opportunity to enjoy Nicholas Blair more frequently!   Yes, Humbert Allen Astredo is awesome.  He's my fav!  >:D

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2007, 05:42:42 PM »
I think Eve's appearance was the very beginning of the turnaround, that led into 1969/1897.    The plot and much of the writing were still intermittently awful, but the show seems to wake up a little, and a bit of a spark comes back, when Eve begins speaking.   

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2007, 05:54:46 PM »
Wecome, Elizabeth47! It's nice to see you posting.  :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2007, 06:04:36 PM »
Hi Elizabeth47,

I agree with you 100 percent about Humbert's characterization as Nicholas Blair.  His vivid, dry, supremely witty scenes are one of the top reasons why 1968 is my personal favorite storyline.

I particularly enjoy Astredo's scenes opposite Grayson Hall and Lara Parker, but he seems to have had a knack of making anyone opposite him on screen shine.  Even Craig Slocum!

Welcome to the Boards,

G.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2007, 06:40:16 PM »
Welcome Elizabeth47

HAA is the only person that could have played Nicholas Blair.  The chemestry was great with a lot of the actors it seamed so real. GH, MW, LP did put out fireworks when working with HAA.  That is the only thing that I liked about 1968 story line was not the story, but the fireworks with all the actors. Besides the flubbed lines, you can see that the actors really got along.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2007, 07:28:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Elizabeth47! [knockwood]

I totally agree Humbert Allen Astredo is great as Nicholas! He gave Nicholas such suave and charm, you can't help but be drawn to him. I really love his scenes with Lara and Grayson too.

The scenes between Grayson and Humbert that I really enjoy is [spoiler]one when Julia informing Nicholas about Angelique continuing to attack Barnabas, then returns the next day to treat Adam and both scenes they play a sort of cat-and-mouse, Julia informing Nicholas she knows about him and his plans, Nicholas firmly denying everything.

when Nicholas approaches Julia about bringing Eve back to life after she was murdered by Adam. Julia won't be intimidated by Nicholas and flat out refuses, until Nicholas threatens harm to Barnabas and Adam. Julia is forced to back down.

I loved just about every scene between Humbert and Lara as Nicholas and Cassandra/or Angelique the vamp.
I really enjoyed seeing him lay the smackdown on her when she dared go against his orders.[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »
Just reading further back in this thread and amused to reflect that the individual to whom MB referred kept telling the actors not to worry about flubs and poor performances because the show would go out the one time and then be forgotten--like Kleenex.

I cannot help laughing because now in 2007 EVERY EPISODE has been made available in both DVD AND VHS.  And I have a friend who downloads the shows on a file sharing site somewhere or other.

That's awfully long lasting Kleenex, doncha think?

Fascinating too, that awful as 1968 purportedly was, some of us who had the whole thing on tape felt compelled to collect EVERY disc of the DVD release *throws mental glance at bookshelf back in bedroom*

G.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2007, 04:48:40 PM »
I wonder if Dan always had this plan to release them somehow?? Why would he have saved them. Are there any other Soap Opera's that are on tape??  Maybe Dan talked to Julia from  her trip forward in time.  :-X :-X
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2007, 07:40:07 PM »
And once again:

It's a common misconception that Curtis preserved the DS episodes, but that's not actually true. Curtis has never owned them. ABC did and then ownership was transferred to Worldvision. ABC is who should be thanked for preserving them. ...

There are several topics on the forum that have pointed out this fact.  :)

Offline Elizabeth47

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2007, 04:40:40 AM »
But let's be serious about that - Nicholas wore the same suit day in and day out, so why would he teach Adam any differently?  ;D

Actually, Nicholas had about three suits.  One was light grey, another was a darker grey, and then he had another which was light brown, which he looked especially handsome in by the way.   [firedevil]   Also, thank you for welcoming me to the board.  I'm very pleased to be here  ;D