Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0246  (Read 1719 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0246
« on: March 05, 2007, 08:03:51 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0246
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »
Back to the Jason plot.  I really feel sorry for Elizabeth, gritting her teeth and taking the necessary steps towards the ghastly marriage, with Jason nipping at her heels.  He might be a little injudicious there; she has authorized the divorce proceedings, and that's a major step, and he knows that if he pushes her too hard and too fast, she'll dig in her heels.  She didn't carry through on turning herself in last week, but she came awfully close.  On the one hand, I think to myself, "Jason's an experienced scoundrel.  He knows when and how hard to push."  On the other hand, I think, "If he's so good at it, how come he isn't rich already?"

I wasn't impressed with Roger, rushing off to tell Vicky and Carolyn that Elizabeth might well be planning to marry Jason, without giving Liz a little time to make the announcement herself.  Sort of graceless of him.  And here's Carolyn, gung-ho to find out the real story, without thinking, "You know, I might have gotten a clue if I had sat and listened the other day."  But that's beating a dead horse.  Meanwhile, Carolyn is assuming that Jason has a hold over her mother.  I wonder if Carolyn has given any concrete thought to what the hold actually is.  Clearly it doesn't occur to her that her mother might have murdered her father - or else she is banishing that thought from her mind.  What other hold might Jason have over Liz?  Was Liz involved in a hit-and-run accident that Jason covered up?  (This is real life.  Lightning is allowed to strike twice.)  Does Jason know some disgustingly dirty details about Vicky's parentage?  Did Jason forge Jamison's will so that Liz got more money out of dear old Dad than Dad had intended?  And if any of these speculations are correct, does Carolyn want to know about it any more than she wants to know the truth about her father?

There was were a couple of mentions of Maggie today.  Very thoughtful of the writers.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 02:45:54 PM »
I wonder if it ever occured to Carolyn that whatever hold Jason had over her mother, it was something illegal and that by exposing him, she would also be exposing her mother.

I did notice she's back to hating Jason's guts in this episode. She was almost like a giddy school girl in the last Jason-plotted episode when he told her about how much her daddy loved her. Maybe Carolyn thought it over and realized she shouldn't put too much faith in what Jason says as far as her father was concerned, she certainly doesn't in anything else he says or does.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:46:55 PM »
Carolyn knows Jason has a hold over her mother, but honestly, I don't think her mother killing her father ever entered her mind. How could she even think her mother was capable of something so gruesome! That's not usually one of the first things that comes to someone's mind. Perhaps Carolyn thought it had something to do with financial matters, and I guess in a way it is.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:12:49 PM »
Carolyn knows Jason has a hold over her mother, but honestly, I don't think her mother killing her father ever entered her mind. How could she even think her mother was capable of something so gruesome!

It's quite obvious from Carolyn's reaction upon the supposed big reveal that it's something she never once considered.

Perhaps Carolyn thought it had something to do with financial matters

That's always been my supposition for what Carolyn most probably suspected. After all, what rich family (on TV, anyway) doesn't have at least one skeleton or two in their financial past?  ;)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 09:02:03 PM »
Good Show, it is almost like Jason has a homing device on Liz, he is always around her. I just wanted to hit him and Roger.  Why does Roger create problemes for Liz? It is almost like they a conversation in confidence, and then he goes off and blabbs to Carolyn and Vicki. I have always wondered why Vicki is so involved? She is the governess to David, but she has turned into Liz's companion also?

I wonder if Roger hadn't told the girls would everything turned out differently.
[spoiler]It is funny when Roger says that he will not marry again, then looks who he marrys. Also when Paul comes back later, he doesn't seem to ask about Jason[/spoiler]

Roger reminds me of the gals across the back fence gossiping, he can't really keep a secret unless it has to do with him.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:12:53 PM »
Roger reminds me of the gals across the back fence gossiping, he can't really keep a secret unless it has to do with him.

Noticed that, have you?  [lghy]  And it's a perfect analogy for him!  [thumbright]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 10:58:41 AM »
Did anybody else notice some "white spots" in the picture at the beginning of this episode? Very strange... I wonder if it's my DVD or the DVD player?  Or... Maybe it was just a poor picture quality on that particular day.  [scratch2]

Perhaps it was the style in the 60's, but another thing that I noticed which seemed strange to me was that Elizabeth's blazer was placed over her shoulders instead of her wearing it with her arms in the sleeves.  That would drive me crazy!  [crazy] How does it stay without falling off?  I kept thinking that she should put her arms in the sleeves!  Weird!  [nut]

It was nice to see Hugh Franklin in this episode, playing Richard Garner for the last time.  I remember him fondly as Dr. Charles Tyler on "All My Children". [cheesyg] I checked on IMDb, and he was only 50 when he was on DS.  He sure looked older to me! [shkdg]

Again, I felt sorry for Elizabeth during this episode. [sadg] She was finally getting a divorce from Paul, but the reason was because of Jason.  That was good and bad all at the same time - mostly bad, because Jason was such a manipulator to force her into it.  [angryf]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 11:58:39 AM »
Did anybody else notice some "white spots" in the picture at the beginning of this episode? Very strange... I wonder if it's my DVD or the DVD player?  Or... Maybe it was just a poor picture quality on that particular day.
I noticed that - sort of like stars scattered over the picture.

Perhaps it was the style in the 60's, but another thing that I noticed which seemed strange to me was that Elizabeth's blazer was placed over her shoulders instead of her wearing it with her arms in the sleeves.  That would drive me crazy!  [crazy] How does it stay without falling off?  I kept thinking that she should put her arms in the sleeves!
I noticed that too, and wondered why she would wear a jacket in such an inconvenient way.  Thinking about it now, I daresay Joan Bennett was so used to wearing jackets that way, in the pursuit of elegance, that keeping it from falling off would have become second nature to her.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 12:25:21 PM »
I noticed that - sort of like stars scattered over the picture.

Exactly, Lydia! [bigok] That's what I thought, too!  Stars were scattered over the picture.  I'm glad you noticed it, too! [cheesyg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 04:10:40 PM »
Perhaps it was the style in the 60's, but another thing that I noticed which seemed strange to me was that Elizabeth's blazer was placed over her shoulders instead of her wearing it with her arms in the sleeves.  That would drive me crazy!  [crazy] How does it stay without falling off?  I kept thinking that she should put her arms in the sleeves!  Weird!  [nut]

This was a style back then, it was something that I was never able to do. I have slopping shoulders so Oh well. But I knew a number of people that could do this. The sparkles is just the film is  damaged a little bit.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 03:10:38 AM »
Perhaps it was the style in the 60's, but another thing that I noticed which seemed strange to me was that Elizabeth's blazer was placed over her shoulders instead of her wearing it with her arms in the sleeves.  That would drive me crazy!  [crazy] How does it stay without falling off?  I kept thinking that she should put her arms in the sleeves!  Weird!  [nut]

It seems women in the 60's did this a lot with jackets and sweaters. I think it looks silly as well, either put the sweater on or take it off. Later on though, I remember wearing a sweater or jacket with the arms tied around my waist when I wasn't wearing it. That way I didn't have to carry it with me.

Alondra

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 06:35:28 AM »
Later on though, I remember wearing a sweater or jacket with the arms tied around my waist when I wasn't wearing it. That way I didn't have to carry it with me.
Oh, yeah!  I remember doing that, too, Alondra. [cheesyg]

----- Sally ----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]