Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 725747 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile

Agree! But do you mean hysterical or hilarious?

Both!! [snow_wink]

And Ben Cross was in the terrible fourth Exorcist film...

Yes, that was a bad, bad movie.  He's made a few duds as most actors have during their career.  I doubt Cross was asked to be in the new DS movie.  There's no reason he would be that I can see. 

ClaudeNorth

Not sure what to make of this.  Having read the descriptions of the trailers, I can't help wondering if someone is trying to pull off a hoax.  After all, anyone can post just about anything on the Internet, but that doesn't make it true.  As Nancy wrote, we really won't know for sure until Warners releases the trailers and we see them for ourselves.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

And it seems odd to me that they would be so faithful to the costumes and set design and then deliver a script that is a travesty. 

Exactly which is why I refuse to speculate about the trailers or the movie based on rumors.  There are people who enjoy putting out false information just to light people up. 

And the fact that KLS and LP are so gung-ho about it IS suspicious to me, VictoriaWinters1991.  Selby and Frid have not really commented, and I would trust their analysis more.  So their lack of comment may be telling...

CB, I am surprised at your statement here because I usually agree with everything you post. [snow_huh] So I have to ask you: Why is KLS and LP's opinion less valid than Selby and Frid who have not commented any more on the film?  Why not accept a stated opinion but feel the unstated one might be more true?  Maybe they want fans to decide for themselves on the film.  I find it difficult to believe that any of them would be in a film that would make them, and what they are known for, look silly or idiotic.  I know each of these actors enough to know they would have questions before agreeing to do a cameo.  There isn't big money in doing cameos and going to the trouble of flying to England for a small check, AND to be in a lousy movie, doesn't make any sense at all.

In the face of rumor, speculation and information given to us by people we don't know anything about, the only thing we can use is common sense.

I want to see the trailer to be proven wrong.

I've gone to see movies based on trailers only to discover the spin of the trailer was not reflected in the movie I saw.  Based on those experiences, I am going to see the movie whether or not I like the trailer.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I can't even believe the site went with the story all based on "a source who claims" to have seen the trailer.  They had no verification the person saw the trailer or is part of a test audience.  Yet, because it is on the internet and feeds into existing fears some fans have about what the movie will be, the words used "possible" and "claims" will turn into fact, not the conjecture such words are normally associated with.

And here we go. The story is already taking off.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Phil I did a quick search to answer your question and so far this is the closest I got.  I also believe she made other comments and confirmed that Bella is also playing Josette and her comments were made prior to it being reflected at the IMDB site. She may have said it at the SDCC panel. There are videos on youtube of that event but I am pressed for time today. See last question. http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com/2011/03/kathryn-leigh-scott-writes-dark-shadows.html

I still doubt the most recent reviewer's take on the trailers. We need to see it as many of you have said. No trailer just fuels wild negative speculation. I just don't understand WB's marketing strategy to date.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Jimbo, in case you didn't know, KLS will be doing a book signing event in NYC in April.  I'm sure she will be peppered with questions about the new movie and hopefully a video of her responses will get posted on youtube.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
the words used "possible" and "claims" will turn into fact, not the conjecture such words are normally associated with.

Sadly, the situation you're describing with that Web site is nothing new for the Internet - and one need look no further for proof of that than to how very similar it is to what happened when Entertainment Weekly simply speculated that the DS film had been put on the backburner, but after one Web site misinterpreted what EW had written and came to the conclusion they were saying the DS film was dead, reports surfaced all over the Internet that the film was dead, despite the fact that it was not.

As for the descriptions of the new trailer, they could be completely true or they could be complete fabrications - but even if they are true, as I said before, that in no way means that humor is all there is to the film. DS wouldn't be the first supernaturally oriented film to have a large dose of humor while also being violent and bloody. And we've been told that the DS film will be all three, so we shouldn't lose sight of that regardless of what the trailers turn out to be like. Trailers are marketing tools, and as Nancy stated, they're not always a completely accurate reflection of what a film is. (Not by a long shot with some films.) Plus there's also the possibility that Warner Brothers will release several trailers - ones emphasizing the humor in the film and others emphasizing other aspects of the film. But whatever develops down the road, right now the main issue is that none of us have actually seen any trailer for ourselves to judge it for ourselves. We haven't heard the described dialogue for ourselves and we haven't seen the actors' faces while they're delivering the dialogue. If and when we do, that could possibly make a big difference in how we interpret the situations.

79 days 11 hours 25 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
the SDCC panel. There are videos on youtube of that event

And speaking of those videos, in one KLS and Lara Parker categorically deny that the DS film is in any way a parody of the original series. We discussed that fact here on the forum back when they were first released.

79 days 11 hours 21 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
CB, I am surprised at your statement here because I usually agree with everything you post. [snow_huh] So I have to ask you: Why is KLS and LP's opinion less valid than Selby and Frid who have not commented any more on the film?  Why not accept a stated opinion but feel the unstated one might be more true?  Maybe they want fans to decide for themselves on the film.  I find it difficult to believe that any of them would be in a film that would make them, and what they are known for, look silly or idiotic.  I know each of these actors enough to know they would have questions before agreeing to do a cameo.  There isn't big money in doing cameos and going to the trouble of flying to England for a small check, AND to be in a lousy movie, doesn't make any sense at all.

That is very true.  But for me it comes down to a matter of finances.  I don't see Frid or Selby profiting from the film like I see KLS and LP.  Both have books to sell, and the new movie will boost those sales, thus I am "suspicious" of their statements, because I see the other motive here.  Though I am sure that neither KLS nor LP would support a film that they thought was terrible, they stand to gain from it.  That is why I am interested in hearing from the other two original actors, who may be more objective on the matter.   

and this conversation is starting to get hysterical.

michael c, we are a bunch of Grayson-loving folks.  Of course we are going to break into Julia hysterics.  We have not seen any official publicity (and are two months away from release) and we are being taunted by rumors.  We need sedatives... badly.  And the only one who can provide them is Warner Bros.   

[snow_laugh]
As for the descriptions of the new trailer, they could be completely true or they could be complete fabrications - but even if they are true, as I said before, that in no way means that humor is all there is to the film... Plus there's also the possibility that Warner Brothers will release several trailers - ones emphasizing the humor in the film and others emphasizing other aspects of the film. But whatever develops down the road, right now the main issue is that none of us have actually seen any trailer for ourselves to judge it for ourselves.... If and when we do, that could possibly make a big difference in how we interpret the situations.

All very true.  And I definitely agree.  But it's just too hard not to speculate about this.  It's fascinating, and if true and an actual reflection of the film, it's gonna be one heck of a ride!  And I don't know how I feel about it...   [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
But it's just too hard not to speculate about this.

Speculating is great and it can be loads of fun. I mean, that's one of the things that forums like this are chiefly for and we wouldn't have it any other way.  [snow_wink]  But speculation where all the facts come into play and speculation where certain facts are conveniently left out is another thing entirely. Though don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing anyone here of doing the latter - however, I have seen it in plenty of other places where the DS film and the consumer survey trailers are being discussed. It's as if in those places they're deliberately choosing to ignore anything that's been said to describe the film that doesn't fit into their view. And that's wrong. People should always try to keep the entire picture in mind and deal with it as a whole, meaning everything that's been said, rather than picking and choosing only what supports the argument(s) they want to make while ignoring anything and everything that doesn't support them.

79 days 9 hours 1 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Cousin Barnabas - thanks for amplifying your viewpoint.  I certainly understand the reasoning behind it.

MB, your post on speculation was marvelous to read.  Speculation is fun.  As you indicated in your post, it's important to remind ourselves what remains speculation and unsubstantiated rumor before crossing over to call something "a fact." 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Of course, Nancy.  That being said, I respect LP and KLS a great deal, but I know how financial matters can sometimes sway opinions.  Note, I don't necessarily believe this is the case here.  It's just that I want comment from Frid and Selby who are coming from a more neutral position. 

And, yes, MB.  My feelings exactly.  And I think that we do a great job of it here.  When we get positive news, everyone is happy.  When we hear negative rumors, people get worried.  So it all balances out in the end.  Nonetheless, we all love Dark Shadows and have become accustomed to a specific presentation of it.  I am sure that everyone has the best interest of DS in mind when they post - even negative responses.  It's something very near and dear to us.  If it weren't, we wouldn't be so active in our discussions.  That being said, however, the only real indicator we have to judge the film will be the final cut.  And, until then, it's a grand journey of speculative ups and downs, all of which I am enjoying thoroughly (some more than others  [snow_wink]).   

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I'm assuming everything we've read is true. They're making a completely goofy/out there homage to the show. Not sure why that's such cause for alarm. We'll always have the show (that whole "only soap to be released in its entirety on home video" miracle is never lost on me), and nothing is ever going to replace the show, so why not go for broke and give us something completely unexpected?  To be honest, when DCP/Pierson were in creative control of these relaunches, the results weren't so hot.

Just as an example: I'll never understand the slavish narrative loyalty that insisted BOTH the 91 and 04 versions HAD to start with Vicki on a train. Just because the original did? That's the opposite of creativity. Fan fiction is so often terrible because of that kind of fealty to the source. I'm excited for them to turn the property on its ear; the original series is safe on my shelf!

The sad thing is that hardcore fans are likely the only ones to get a kick out of this version. New folks will be left out of the joke, is my guess.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I really don't understand the reasoning behind buying a property just to change it. Why not just do something original and save your money.

I will watch the trailer and if I don't like what I see I'll wait and see what fans of the OS have to say about it. If they like it I'll go. If it's a comedy, I won't. I see no reason to pay to get pissed off.

On 2-29 on the show "Face Off" on the Syfy channel they are going to be making people up "worthy of a Tim Burton" movie. He isn't listed as being on the show but who knows, he could be. I don't expect a trailer but you never know.
May you die before you want too.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks Nancy about the heads up on KLS book signing in NY in April. That is good timing for her as the trailer will have been released creating great interest in the book. I'm not sure she will be permitted to answer questions in detail.

Does anyone here know how a studio tests a trailer? I would think that the trailer is shown once and then the reviewer has to answer specific questions immediately following the viewing. I still can't understand how the 2nd reviewer managed to remember the dialogue with such great specificity.

Chloe tweeted yesterday that she will be attending the DS premiere in London. No shocker there.