Author Topic: Angelique..why do people LIKE this woman?  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Angelique..why do people LIKE this woman?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 07:54:14 AM »

you forgot about the crap she pulled in PT1970.  She nearly killed Quentin with that voodoo doll and the pin, and then there was all the conspiring she did with Hoffman to split Quentin and Maggie apart.  ALSO.....that spell she put on Quentin that made him lose his mind and nearly kill himself.

I agree Connie, and I think that this Angelique was the most evilest out of them all.  She seemed to care for no one, except herself!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 04:40:08 PM »
Oh, she certainly was, Connie and Cassandra.  PT1970 Angelique, unlike all the other incarnations, was absolutely, totally evil with only her own benefit of any concern to her.  I heard via the DS fan grapevine that should DS have continued, Dan Curtis was going to revisit PT and have Angelique once again rise from the dead, becoming a corporate exec at Enron.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 05:01:44 PM »
........should DS have continued, Dan Curtis was going to revisit PT and have Angelique once again rise from the dead, becoming a corporate exec at Enron.

[lghy]

(Rainey wipes coffee off monitor.... ::))
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 05:02:25 PM »
Oh yeah....I forgot to put in my two cents in this thread as to exactly WHY I hate Angelique.  'Cause she's an EVIL, CONNIVING BITCH.   [grinb]

Well, yeah!  And that's exactly why I LOVE her!    [clap]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2004, 09:15:27 PM »
.....I think that this Angelique was the most evilest out of them all.  She seemed to care for no one, except herself!

Yes.  Come to think of it, when you add it all up, she WAS the most evil.  She even killed her own sister!  (I mean, I can understand the sentiment, but REALLY.....that IS going a bit far.  Don't you think?)  And people wonder why PT Quentin was rather cranky at times and had a tendency to fly off the handle.  He'd been MARRIED to that broad.

(Rainey wipes coffee off monitor.... ::))

You know, Rainey, you REALLY should stop drinking coffee at the computer.  [lghy]

What a mess.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2004, 08:28:12 AM »
Stefan Wrote:
Yes, absolutely. BUT just what DID Barnabas unleash? It doesn't make sense really that Angelique never used her spells before and never caused havoc before either. Her attitude towards what she did to Sarah and Jeramiah was callous in the extreme and very smooth, just a days work for her.

I find that hard to believe also but then I wonder just what did she do before she came to Collinwood?  We know she was the Dupree's maid so she more than likely spent all her time with them, and yet, when they all came to Collinwood and witnessed all the "strange happenings" going on around them, the Dupree's all seemed suprised.   The Countess had even read her Tarot cards at the old house and was certain that "a wicked woman" was amongst them?  Well, couldn't she have seen this in her cards in Martinique? ???

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2004, 08:05:21 PM »
I believe Lara Parker's secret to success in her electric portrayal of Angelique can be found in a comment made by actress Patty McCormack, who was in town a few years back, commenting on how she (Patty) approached the role of murderous pig-tailed Rhoda from "The Bad Seed":
"I didn't play Rhoda like she was bad - I played her like she was 'right' !"
Lara Parker seemed to approach Angelique in a similiar manner - and many of us applauded her because she'd been rejected/hurt by love, and we can all identify with that emotion.
Gothick mentioned the famous Barnabas/Cassandra showdown scene - I've noted that episode in a previous post as my first DS episode, so perhaps Lara's characterization reeled me in (though I was equally impressed with Frid and Grayson Hall, and later smitten with Don Briscoe).

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2004, 01:26:54 PM »
I always ask myself why I don't hate Angelique because I know, as many have said here, that she is just EVIL! But for most of the reasons cited, I just can't help but love her. It's always exciting when Angelique shows up and, again like many have said, she really believes she's right. Then there are times when I find myself feeling sorry for her, at least a little, like during the Cassandra storyline and then later when she's under Nicholas' thumb. Crazy or not, in the end I always end up thinking she's just sad because she just can never let go of her love for Barnabas!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2004, 03:04:02 PM »
I believe Lara Parker's secret to success in her electric portrayal of Angelique can be found in a comment made by actress Patty McCormack, who was in town a few years back, commenting on how she (Patty) approached the role of murderous pig-tailed Rhoda from "The Bad Seed":
"I didn't play Rhoda like she was bad - I played her like she was 'right' !"
i think you are right on that one Patty's M's Rhoda still is one of the most chilling
portrayal's of a killer i've ever seen! She deserved an Oscar!Angelique should have a chapter
in a psych book devoted to her She was pure ME at all costs! Parker was great and no one
can ever replace her IMHO! >:D

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2004, 03:21:49 PM »

Yes.  Absolutely.  Angelique is Angelique because Lara Parker created her.  I don't care how unique or interesting a story or script may be.  It's the actor that makes or doesn't make the character.  Not only is she the "first and best" like you say, IMHO she is the ONLY.  Just like Frid created Barnabas, Hall created Julia, Selby created the Quentins - 1897, 1840, 1995, etc., (all distinctly different), Edmonds created Roger, and so on.  The characters grew from these people and came into being.  That's why I think it's meaningless to have other people playing them in a new series.  Some may think I'm being fanatical, but as far as I'm concerned, Dark Shadows is unique, sacred ground.  If they wanna make a new series they'd do much better creating their OWN new characters - descendents or relatives of the Collins family.  (Just my very, very, very, humble, unpopular opinion)   [grinb]

8)

well Connie i totally agree with you i didn't like 1991 and feel that i'll feel the same way about this new show!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2004, 03:36:32 PM »
Crazy or not, in the end I always end up thinking she's just sad because she just can never let go of her love for Barnabas!

Given from what we eventually learn and see about Angelique I suspect her feelings for Barnabas were more in the lines of selfish obsession rather than love. I don't believe someone like Angelique (and I'm sure there's a word for her in the abnormal pathology textbooks) could be capable of love as it is described. No matter how angry you are at someone you don't torture their little sister and uncle as a result. That's not love.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2004, 03:39:31 PM »
As far as liking Angelique, well, I never have.

Cassandra was fun for me though, mainly because I think she was just so inept most of the time, and at the same time so damned determined.

I'm not a huge Lara Parker fan, but I thought she played all the character incarnations really well. I agree with the others who have stated that it's partly because she treated the characters with such conviction.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

LorraineAAB

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2004, 02:40:08 AM »
Gerard -- you forgot about the crap she pulled in PT1970.  She nearly killed Quentin with that voodoo doll and the pin, and then there was all the conspiring she did with Hoffman to split Quentin and Maggie apart.  ALSO.....that spell she put on Quentin that made him lose his mind and nearly kill himself.

Yes, but that WAS a different Angelique, after all--- she and twin Alexis were personification of the different sides of RT Angelique.  After the "good twin" was gone, that's just to show what would have happened if RT Angelique completely turned from her own "good" side (whether to her gain or not.)

It could even be argued that PT Angelique was an example of the popular psychological temporizing which theories were first being publicized in those days---- that she was not entirely to blame for her evil or amorality.  Her mother married PT Stokes with her two little girls in tow, and given his own weirdness, maybe there was something beyond trying to gain favor with his stepdaughters.... Simply put, there may well have been some incestuous activity;  Angelique responded favorably,  Alexis did not, and the latter escaped at the first opportunity.

Then, apparently after her mother's death, the VERY young Angelique got into the sights of the dashing Collins heir---- perhaps that was part of dirty daddy's plans?  Then, somehow, along the way, she acquired a too-worshipful housekeeper / personal maid, and ere long, was seducing and teasing all the men within the radius of Collinsport.  Then, she died mysteriously, and dirty daddy moved heaven and hell to revive her.  OK, a blatant rip-off of "Rebecca" with supernatural BS thrown in, but more explicit.

As to whatever motivated the RT Angelique, it should be noted that there was no mention whatsoever of her activities, whether good or bad, once removed from the combined irritants of Barnabas, the Collins family, and Collinsport.  She had been considered "ordinary" in Martinique, and apparently gave satisfaction in her lowly employment, no spells or "nose-twitching" to get chores done, anyway.  That, later, she  apparently met and married Sky Rumson while living a "normal" life, working as a model, without use of her powers (and even giving them up until spit hit the fan) showed that she was capable of ethical behavior, if not provoked.

And as for Barnabas.... by the time he reconciled with Angelique, he and she were about even in the murder department, and just about every other facet of badness, and zig-zagging with morality and what was still left of their consciences.  In real life, maybe that wouldn't happen, but in the context of a soap opera, it made sense (and has been done ad nauseum on soaps ever since...)

L.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2004, 04:37:42 AM »
And as for Barnabas.... by the time he reconciled with Angelique, he and she were about even in the murder department, and just about every other facet of badness, and zig-zagging with morality and what was still left of their consciences

Barnabas murdered people (if that's what it's called) because he was a vampire. He was made a vampire by Angelique and we all know the story. Essentially Angelique held him hostage as a vampire for hundreds of years.

Maybe it's because Angelique did all her dirty work from the "next room" or some place usually away from the victim her actions appear to be acceptable and somehow exciting. If, for example, the audience actually saw Angelique physically kick and smack Sarah in the face and chest area instead of probably causing even more damage by sticking pins to Sarah's doll in another room, the reality of what she was doing would be more apparent.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2004, 05:31:55 AM »
If, for example, the audience actually saw Angelique physically kick and smack Sarah in the face and chest area instead of probably causing even more damage by sticking pins to Sarah's doll in another room, the reality of what she was doing would be more apparent.

That's very true, stefan. It's an excellent point. And if it doesn't make one see Angelique in an extremely bad light, nothing will...

That being said, though, as many have already pointed out, a good deal of Angelique's appeal with fans is that Lara Parker played her so well. Yes, some fans do sympathize with her - and in light of what you point out, one has to wonder about that - but at the same time it's possible to frequently despise the woman as well as her actions while still getting caught up in it all. With Parker's amazing performances, one can't help but get drawn to the character and caught up in her - yes, even as twisted and reprehensible as she all too often is. The phrase "love to hate" was designed specifically for characters like Angelique.