Author Topic: the parallel-time "tease"  (Read 9302 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: the parallel-time "tease"
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
There is one episode where Quentin's 1930s/40s pre-Grant Douglas identity is mentioned.  Julia finds a clipping and some other things and a name is mentioned.  I can't recall it at the moment but it's one of my favorite episodes.  I love the shows where Julia is trying to help "Grant" overcome his amnesia just because I think Grayson and Selby had such fabulous on-screen chem.

But you're right, the show could have done more with this, but they didn't.  An option might have been to have a storyline that involved the 1920s and Quentin having to do the I Ching back to his former self then and come to Collinsport and change history.  I think Selby would have looked very hot in 20s regalia, and the women would have looked great in the period fashions too.

Ah, we can dream...

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
The idea of Q being there in 1969 is fascinating.  Then of course they do little with him.   I wouldn't give up 100-year-old crazy Tate for anything.   Leviathans is like that.   A lot of elements that your imagination can run away with, that seem great at first, then little is done with them.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 05:07:01 PM »
Quentin was used poorly in mist of the modern day, which is a shame, he was so great in 1897.
I'm pretty sure Quentin was supposed to be a cousin to Liz and Roger in PT. I always thought he was the descendent of Jenny and Quentin's son who lived in PT, but that's just my theory.
I always wondered who Maggie's sister Jennifer was supposed to be. In my imagination she's Maggie's adopted sister , the PT version of Vicki.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 08:22:11 PM »
I wonder if Hannah Stokes was meant to be the parallel version of Mrs. Johnson. Though Paula Lawrence certainly did some good work as the character, it does seem to be a good fit for Clarice Blackburn
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
I loved Paula Lawrence and I wish they had done more with her.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 01:26:11 AM »
A parallel Mrs. Findlay maybe?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 01:39:37 AM »
To my understanding, Hannah Stokes was just a placeholder while Thayer David was unavailable to portray his PT Stokes character.  It was therefore rather unplanned, so I don't think they had that much in mind except that she was a loyal relative to Angelique.  It might have been interesting if she stuck around and had some scenes with her brother, but alas no.  
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 02:06:20 AM »
...Anyway, she was probably the PT version of Hallie Stokes' dead mother, right?
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 04:37:06 AM »
Well, I think that Hallie was supposed to be the daughter of Stokes' brother.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »
I wonder if Hannah Stokes was meant to be the parallel version of Mrs. Johnson. Though Paula Lawrence certainly did some good work as the character, it does seem to be a good fit for Clarice Blackburn

since clarice didn't appear as mrs.johnson in HODS(the part was recast)filmed at the same time one can assume she must have had some other commitment.

unfortunately after her stint as minerva trask in 1897 blackburn's presence on the series became greatly diminished with the exception of her "1995" appearance.

as versatile as blackburn was i don't see her as the flamboyant hannah stokes. there was a sourness and seriousness to all of her roles that feels at odds with the eccentric hannah. still it could have been an interesting part for her to take on.

paula lawrence was alot of fun in the role. i wish she had stuck around longer. there is something of an abruptness to her departure. a hastiness. she ended up being rather underused.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »

Yup--she would have to be the daughter of a male Stokes in order for her last name to be Stokes as well.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 10:03:51 PM »
Auntie Hanna was a wonderful character, along with Buffie Harrington and, as has been pointed out, despite so much potential they were both underutilized. 

There was so much in PT1970 that could've been explored but never was.  Exactly how was Quentin related to Elizabeth and Roger?  I always figured him to be a younger brother; others think he was a cousin.  Either way, why did he inherit virtually everything whilst the rest became the "poor relations?"  Why was Angelique Stokes the belle of Collinsport?  It appears that Big Daddy Timothy Stokes was another well-to-do in Collinsport (and it seems that the PT Collinsport was more affluent that the regular time one).  Why was Quentin smitten by her enough earlier to marry her?  What soured their marriage (although things were hinted at)?  How did Carolyn Stoddard meet William Loomis?  Why did Maggie Evans and her sister move to New York City?  How did the recently mourning widower Quentin meet up with her there?  Did ABC also broadcast The Brady Bunch in PT1970?  Did people watch The Beverely Hillbillies?  Would Amy Collins go on to appear on The Electric Company?

I would rather they had explored all this instead of having a lame Jekyll-and-Hyde subplot with the mysterious vanishing nose.

Gerard

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 10:35:01 PM »
There was so much in PT1970 that could've been explored but never was.
Yes, that's something I have complained about, but around the time the Watching Project finished with 1970 parallel time, I decided that the lack of detail was something that was a deliberate part of the atmosphere of that storyline.  I'm looking forward to watching it some other time in the future and enjoying, instead of deploring, the many unconnected dots.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 11:02:44 PM »
I would also love to know what really happened between Sam Evans and Quentin's father that led to Sam's death and the subsequent suicide of Quentin's father. Angelique/Alexis mentions that Maggie might have reason to avenge her father's death by targeting the Collins family.

This might also explain some of the hostility that Maggie experiences from Daniel, Roger and Hoffman
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »

I see.  But the rules of PT conversion are such that she could still have been the PT of Hallie's mother, not that the writers likely thought that far ahead or in-depth at that late stage of the series.  There were certainly people in that time who kept their maiden name and even gave it to their children after marriage; my own grandmother was one of them.