Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0490  (Read 1458 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0490
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:14:13 PM »
Robservations #490

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0490

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »
Julia again has the dream. Barn figures she’ll keep having it until she tells it to someone – and she wants to, and how! Barn & Jules go back and forth about escaping Ange’s curses and going on with the experiment. There’s a knock on the door and much to their amazement it’s Mrs. Johnson in a trancelike state. After much ado, Barn finally relents and agrees to let Jules tell Mrs. J. the dream but not without first telling her what is going to happen and how to react, etc. Mrs. J. brings up the previous day’s conversation with Cass confirming Barn’s fears. We the audience are not privy to Julia’s telling of the dream to Mrs. J. so that is left to our imagination. Next, with a clear mind, Julia finishes Lang’s notes and readies to carry on with the experiment. Enter Vicki, to talk with Barn about his leaving the states. She’s upset that he is leaving because she rejected him and he promises it is not the case and that time will reveal that matters have worked out for the best. He then goes on to tell her about Adam and how he expects she will like him very much and he is sure Adam will like her as well. A noisy storm approaches and gives Barn his cue to excuse Vicki so he can proceed with the experiment. Next, all is in place including Barn & Adam for the experiment to proceed. After the mirror and magnifying glass get their second 15 minutes of fame, Julia says an emotional goodbye to the Barnabas she knows and loves. Barn isn’t in an emotional mood and is somewhat cold and practical about it all. Julia does her best Dr. Frankenstein fiddling with gadgets and whatnot while things pop and smoke and electrify until she finally shuts the whole thing down. Barn’s still alive and is pissed that Julia has failed and wants her to figure out what went wrong and try again. She leaves the lab as Barn stays behind to feel sorry for himself. During Barn’s mournful speech, Adam opens his eyes – Barn happily states “You’re alive.” and in the same breath sullenly proclaims, “We are both alive.”

I almost always enjoy Barn & Vicki's talks together - that is to say that Frid usually does well opposite Moltke and I am wondering if it is the relationship bewtween the characters that Frid is comfortable with or if it's the actor he is playing against that makes him seemingly excell at times in his role as Barnabas.

Poor Grayson looked ridiculous trying to make it look as though she were contolling the experiment at the panel.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
Barnabas is even more heartless than usual when he tells Julia to get a grip on herself. When Mrs. J. shows up, Barnabas tries to get her to go home. Mrs. Johnson protests, I simply can’t leave without doing whatever it is I came to do. Finally Julia shows Barnabas her trembling hands. How can I run the experiment properly in this condition? she asks. And even if Mrs. Johnson went home, I would be compelled to follow her. So Barnabas has to relent. (Behind him we can see a very nice painting of a four-masted schooner.)

Good scene with Barn and Vicki and very well acted. Near tears, Vicki tells him, I’m sorry I couldn’t give you the kind of love that you have given me. Barnabas reassures her, Perhaps it's better you don’t feel that way now. One day we will talk again, he promises her, and I'll be able to tell you things I’ve never told anyone else. You'll realize then that if you loved me now, you would be making the greatest mistake of your life. At this moment thunder announces the usual approaching storm, and Barnabas wants Vicki safe at home before the storm breaks. In his courtliest manner, he bows in farewell, saying gently, Until we meet again. But once he's seen her out he simply closes his eyes in anguish.

But don't be too sympathetic toward him. Poor Julia twirls all the dials like mad to keep the man she loves alive. And unlike Eric Lang, who was always whining about needing an assistant, our Julia performs the entire experiment all by herself! She is nervous about keeping track of so many devices with such recently gained knowledge. Things go well--until they don't. Barnabas crossly demands to know why he's still alive, then barks, Go back downstairs and check Lang's notes to see what you did wrong. He assumes it was her fault!

Adam is alive--but so is Barnabas, much to his chagrin....

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
Forgot to mention the strange opening voiceover that tells us, "On this night, a woman has sought refuge in the house of a dead doctor, refuge from the terror of a strange kind of dream, but she learns this night that there is no escaping the dream."

Would Julia have escaped the dream in the house of a live doctor?  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »
Why are Barnabas and Julia at the dead Dr House? It would seem that the sheriff would have locked it up assuming there were no heirs. And as nosy as Patterson has been, he didn't check around discover the lab and the body. The lighting in the hall is rather dark and makes the set look pretty and the actors also. When the adjourn to the brighter living room, Grayson Hall looks noticeably old.
Barnabas tried to promote a relationship with the still dead Adam and Vickie. Adam does come to life by episode end.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »
Good point, alwaysdavid. But remember, this is the Collinwood Universe!  [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
More entries for the "Only on DS" file...

Barnabas crossly demands to know why he's still alive, then barks, Go back downstairs and check Lang's notes to see what you did wrong.
  ... and...

Barnabas tried to promote a relationship with the still dead Adam and Vickie.

We are told that Julia has taken refuge in the house of a dead doctor, and what do you know, she actually has.   Good thing she already knew about one in the area.

Why didn't Angelique just keep going to Lang's and hang around?   She knows whatever it is happens there.

It's just so conspicuous that the patients aren't hooked up to anything, no IVs, no EKGs, not even a beam of colored light which can do anything on Star Trek....  The liquids are bubbling away on the table, but beakers of bubbling fluids way across the room on a table are just ongoing experiments, they have nothing to do with any operation.   Star Trek at least bothered with a couple booths with flashing lights.   These guys are just lying down with a little strap over them (in case Barn runs amok I guess)... no electrodes attached, no machinery of any kind attached.   Talk about not bothering...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »
Yeah, but Julia got a haircut! ;)

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 06:06:57 AM »
MT-

It's almost like operation-through-WiFi, no need for connections of any kind.

DS, ahead of its time, as always.  [ghost_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 07:58:56 AM »
It's almost like operation-through-WiFi, no need for connections of any kind.

What's strange is that it never occurred to me to notice, until viewing # 1 billion or so... 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor