Author Topic: back from fest...  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: back from fest...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 10:27:07 AM »
I've always considered Willie a major character as well.
I certainly hope I'm not detecting some sort of prejudice against abused handymen.  lol  (just kidding)

Interesting all the stuff about Diana Millay.  I must admit I have never approached her at a Fest 'cause she scares me for some reason - really gives me the creeps!  LOL

The thing about refusing to sign certain things, saying the autograph line was a sales line....Wow.   :o
Well, at least she makes her intentions known!  But let's face it - these Fests are a business for some.  KLS in particular.  She comes across to me first and foremost as a public relations/business woman, which I suspect is one of the reasons she's so enthusiastic about the Fests continuing.  At the moment, the only person I can think of who doesn't sell things is Karlen.  I like that.  He's probably my favorite Fest guest when it comes right down to it.  I was disappointed that AGAIN this year I didn't get the chance to talk to him.  (I'm never in the right place at the right time)   :-

:'(
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 03:32:44 PM »
I have to admit that Diana Millay is a character!  I met her when I went to the Fest last year.  She had basically just arrived and was at her table, looking rather frazzled (Craig Hamrick shared the table with her).  Two friends were with me, and I asked her if she would autograph our programs.  Without taking her attention away from the boxes of stuff she was unloading she said she sure would, but first she needed us to help her get her things all in order.  "I got such a late start," she said rather befuddled.  Hauling things out, she handed them to us and said:  "Put this here, and that there, and set this up."  I got to help Laura Collins get her table in gear!  After that, she signed our programs and then added:  "Now come stand around me so we can have our picture taken.  Get your camera."

Although I figured she was a bit eccentric, I thought she was a hoot and a holler.  In a way, she reminded me in a teeny way of Norma Desmond with a subtle and cunning sense of humor and purpose.

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 05:29:16 PM »
In a way, she reminded me in a teeny way of Norma Desmond with a subtle and cunning sense of humor and purpose.

OMG - Gerard! I believe you nailed that one. I think this was floating around in my subconcious all weekend. [/size]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 06:15:42 PM »
I've always considered Willie a major character as well.
I certainly hope I'm not detecting some sort of prejudice against abused handymen.  lol  (just kidding)

Willie's character can be interpeted as major and minor depending on the story:

Willie as a major character: Maggies Kidnapping, Julia tries to cure Barnabas, dream curse, The Adam Story, Parallel Time 1970 (though a different Willie).

Willie as a minor character: Quentin's haunting, Leviathan,
Summer 1970.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2004, 07:28:21 PM »
John Karlen did have a life after DS . i thought he was great as Harvey on
Cagney and Lacey( he made the show) did he get an Emmy? anyway
maybe she was just kidding but i think she would be flattered to be giving her
autogragh after all this time! the only ones that want mine are my kids on checks! LOL

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 05:01:16 AM »
actually i got back last night...i was a daytripper.thanks for the photos joeytrom.midnite,prof. stokes was going to introduce us but we lost track of you.

mscbryk,

Glad you're back safe and sound.  ProfStokes tried-- she showed your picture to me on her digital camera and I'm sure I'd seen you earlier but couldn't find you again.  :(

(Joeytrom, I looked for you, sweetie, but could NOT find you either, boo hoo.  Your photos are fantastic, btw.  Thanks so much for posting them.)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 08:08:29 AM »
I wish I was able to meet some of you, I still haven't after all this time,  though I did meet Stuart and Guy Haines in passing a couple of years ago.

I wish I got to meet you Joeytrom.  I was constantly trying to read those name tags that everyone had on but this year the names were typed on and they couldn't be any smaller!  Glad you had a nice time!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2004, 11:01:55 PM »
At least this year, we could put our names on the tag, last year no one seemed to have their names on their tags.

I wear glasses, so its hard for me to read nametags anyway.  We all should have arranged a meeting place.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 01:38:46 AM »
I agree that Diana seems very eccentric.  I bought her cook book and she signed it for me.  I got to chat with her and Craig Hammrick(?) for several minutes.  The person in back of me in line didn't buy anything but Diana signed the program for her anyway.  I find her rather interesting. I either heard this or read it somewhere that she talked about playing the Phoenix and being Roger's wife and going to his apartment in NY after the show sometimes for dinner.  He was an excellent cook and always walked her home afterwards (they lived about 5 blocks apart).
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 03:15:31 AM »
yes,dianna is a strange(pheonix)bird.since she has built a business on being a "star of dark shadows",perhaps she should learn a bit about her role.mpi was set up right across from her table.they probably would have given her a special discount should she want to purchase her episodes ::).
at the same time,i think maybe she was just being coy/evasive for some strange reason.once we started talking,there was a certain "opening up" on her part.she's eccentric to be sure but probably a nice lady :P.
at any rate,laura collins remains among my favorite characters.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 02:23:05 PM »
does she have a web site where she sells her book?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 03:02:28 PM »
jennifer,

www.dianamillay.com has a link to B&N for buying "Power of Halloween".  But I think it's Craig's www.darkshadowsonline.com that has the cover of "I'd Rather Eat Than Act".  To purchase it, he has a link to B&N as well.

Does Barnes & Noble also have an Associates-type program that benefits the sites if you buy using one of their B&N links?

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 03:56:22 PM »
Does Barnes & Noble also have an Associates-type program that benefits the sites if you buy using one of their B&N links?

Yes, they refer to theirs as an Affiliates program, but I'm not aware of any DS-related sites that participate.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2004, 04:33:31 PM »
Thanks!  Well then in that case, please don't forget that you can use the Amazon banner on a participating DS site to order any of Diana's books.  As long as you complete the order during that same visit (in which you entered via the Amazon banner), the site owner earns a small referral fee, and it's a great way to support your favorite DS site!  :D

We recently lost Darren's fantastic Restoration site and I'd hate to see any others fall under the weight of maintenance costs.  :(