Author Topic: DS SET 13 disc 3  (Read 1391 times)

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
DS SET 13 disc 3
« on: July 18, 2004, 05:09:26 AM »
Have any of the other "Clubmembers" received theirs yet?  I have had 2 set13's with concentric scratches that lock up Disc 3 at about the 44-45 minute mark on 2 different players.  I have over 400 discs and have had 6 defectives...3 have been DS MPI releases ..by the time I send this back I will have paid about 80-85 dollars for the set..Where on earth are these being pressed and packaged?

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: DS SET 13 disc 3
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 07:35:19 AM »
I was wondering about this. I rent the episode DVDs through Netflix, and, no kidding, I had to return three different copies of the second disc of set 12 because of this same problem. I blamed it on Netflix's flimsy packaging for sending single discs through the mail, but it sounds like the problem is with MPI. The discs all have the same sort of stress marks from center to edge with an actual crack in the clear center piece. My DVD player kicks them out as being too dirty to play.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 01:26:27 PM »
I might have some input as to where these are being pressed. If they are using the same outfit to press the DVDs as they used in the latter stages of the VHS mfg., then it's a small firm in Michigan.  I ended up sending back a VHS tape to Michigan and paying the return postage both ways!

I've had numerous problems with MPI DVDs and VHS tapes. Tape #27 of the Collector's series (pre-Barnabas) has to be coaxed to play.  Some of the other VHS tapes have to be coaxed but not to the degree as the #27. I can't remember which VHS tape it is but for a split second, you can see that they taped over a western!

I can't help but wonder if Dark Shadows and the revenue that it generates is of any signficance to MPI at all.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 02:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the responses I have a friend who I got interested in the show...he bought the first 4 sets on DVD...after numerous problems on set 4 he gave up...I am sure there are many people who will they haven't had any problems but there are some.like us, who have. Be fore my wedding I bought DVD's at an alarming rate ...if u count the actual discs...meaning a box set of 7 as 7 actual discs then I have 400 discs...I have had 6 that wouldnt play and 3 so far have been DS...Back in the tape days I had a problem w/ Collector's series #2 VHS and also received 1 misship from MPI and 1 cracked video...They are now shipped from Allied Vaughn in IL...the problems dont seem any better...

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 04:53:27 PM »
I had a problem on DVD #1, Disc #1 in that the episode with Burke and Carolyn at the Blue Whale started to freeze.  I returned it to deepdiscountdvd and they sent me a good one in exchange.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 08:33:07 AM »
This is more of a general DVD question ...

How the heck are you supposed to get the DVD out of some of those plastic cases?  I have been purchasing DVDs occasionally for the past couple of years (even though I didn't have a DVD player when I started), and out of the 40 or so I've purchased, there are at least half a dozen different types of black plastic cases (the inside part, anyway).  With most of these, you're supposed to "press down" on the black button (or tabs) in the center, which holds the DVD in the box.

The problem I've found is that most of these still don't release the DVD.  I've tried pressing with my thumb, screwdriver, you name it.  Last night I was trying to remove "The Company of Wolves" from the package and had to literally bend the DVD to get it out.  I've had to do this with about a dozen of my DVDs, and I've read that bending a DVD is the worst thing you can do to it.  Yet I've never seen my problem addressed anywhere.

With the package I was dealing with last night, after I'd finally gotten the DVD free, I looked closely at the tab/button thing, got down at eye level with it under a bright light, pushed down with all the might in my thumb -- and it didn't depress or move the tabs a tenth of a millimeter.  I finally got out a pen knife and cut off two of the three tabs.  Amazingly, the one remaining tab is still enough to hold the DVD in place, even turning the box upside down, the DVD is held in there securely.  That's what I call a firm fastener.

I'd say that, out of all of my DVD packages, with only about half a dozen of these did the DVD pop out or lift out easily.

(P.S.  I haven't purchased any of the DS DVDs.)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline mpi_marketing

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 03:26:56 PM »
We have been looking into all aspects of DVD packaging over the past few months.  That is why we have the new slimmer DVD cases since we have found they secure the DVDs more securely during the shipping process.  As of yet, we are unaware of any problems during the production of Collection 13.  We ask fans who do encounter playback issues to return those discs to MPI, so we can examine them.

Over the next few weeks, we are also considering new fulfillment packaging which may secure the DVD case better during the shipping period.

As far as the problems the individual has with removing the discs from the cases, it is recommended to press down on the center holder while insuring the disc is on as even of a level as possible to free the DVD.

Thanks.

MPI Marketing

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 03:09:08 PM »
Just to follow up this was straightened out by MPI in timely fashion so, as they said, its a good idea to go straight to them with problems like this...guess the number 13 was just unlucky for me for a while...its a great set.

Offline VictoriaWintersFan

• Junior Poster
  • "My journey is beginning..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 04:30:26 PM »
Hello,

I have bought Sets 5-13 now and I have not experienced ANY problems. I buy all my sets from "Amazon.com" as they are really good. My Sets get here in a matter of one-two days and they are always taped right to the box, so the shipping is great.

I recommend you guys try this site.

Shane
Victoria Winters

~Governess of Collinwood~

1966-1968,1795

Her journey back from 1795 to present is just beginning....