Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0905  (Read 1621 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0905
« on: March 17, 2015, 06:24:56 PM »
Robservations #905

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0905

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:10:38 AM »
Quentin sees an antiques shop and is magnetically drawn, being a real antique himself...  I made an observation about Julia here, that she likes to talk to people from the side, with her head turned 90 degrees when addressing them, either for dramatic reasons, or to show off her latest ensemble from Orbach's.... Maybe it's a sort of angular way of standing, to match her angular face (and personality).  I'm not sure Grayson's other characters do this, ever.

Quentin in hospital.  Barnabas comes to Megan, with the line between reality and vision being unclear.  It's sort of like he's coming to her as he might have as a vampire, when he would taunt people remotely from across town... but since I guess it's an induced waking dream, it's okay, not a continuity flub.  The dream and reality both take place in the shop, though.  I think, I wasn't too alert when watching this.

Grant Douglas has a first name for a last name, and a last name for a first name.  "Welcome", David Jay.  I have his last name for my first name.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »
In watching this story line, I found it useful to remember that for whatever crazy reason, Carolyn never saw the ghost of Quentin Collins. In this instance at least, Quentin’s portrait hasn’t done a good job of keeping him from harm. Has it lost some of its power since 1897? Or did Petofi only cast immortality and anti-werewolf spells on it? If he'd known anything about how fast cars (still in their infancy in 1897) would be going in 1970, he might have added an anti-collision spell too.

Strangely, the Unknown Man’s looks are only enhanced by the wide bandage around his forehead. Julia arrives at the hospital in her angular way. Carolyn tells her that Dr. Green (another M.D. who survives by staying off screen) says that the patient has had a "brain concussion." Is there any other kind?

When Megan sits at the desk (a leftover from Worthington Hall?) at the antique shop, the phone is on the lid. By the time she wakes up after receiving Barn's instructions, the phone is gone, so she can open the desk and we can see what's inside the box from Brewster's.

Julia takes Chris into Grant Douglas’s room and reminds him, Jenny told you to find Quentin Collins. Now you have. It’s impossible! Chris bursts out. Quentin would be very old if he were still alive. Julia says, You will have to trust me that there’s a logical reason that Quentin looks young. (Is having a portrait of yourself that does the aging for you logical?) Julia goes off to check Grant's credentials.

Chris is still by Grant Douglas’s bedside when Julia returns. Grant Douglas is very mysterious, she tells Chris. He has no immediate family, no previous address, no fingerprints on file, no record of military service [the draft was still in effect in 1970], and no indication he has ever held a job. (This alone would confirm his being Quentin!) Chris comments on Julia’s thoroughness. Barnabas arrives. Despite the evidence of his lying eyes, he insists that the patient absolutely is not Quentin Collins. Barn isn't very nice to either Julia or Chris about it, either. He walks out of the room, and Chris comments ironically on his cheerfulness. Greatly upset, Julia replies, He is the one that doesn't exist. Quentin Collins still exists. It is the Barnabas that I once knew who doesn't. Discouraged, Chris goes home to his cottage. Grant Douglas suddenly gives a few groans and starts to wake up. Julia rushes to his side and takes his hand. When his eyes flutter open, she smiles at him and says, Quentin--Quentin! It is you, isn't it? But he only stares at her blankly.

Welcome (not) David Jay. Luckily for us and everyone in the cast, the Leviathan child will morph again in a short time.

Grant Douglas has what we once called the perfect preppie name--that is, his first and last names could be switched and still sound like a name.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »
Fun post, DL.... I decided too that Carolyn must never have seen Quentin's ghost.   I remember a lot of discussion with Lydia about how the portrait protects him.  I'd say that it doesn't stop him from being injured, but just from aging, if Petofi hadn't nicked him with a knife or something, and then shown Quentin the picture bleeding for him.  Maybe Quentin is like Captains Scarlett and Jack Harkness, repeatedly being "killed", then springing back to life later.

Julia's angular arrival, chuckle...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:19:14 PM »
I wonder if the Leviathans saw Quentin as a threat and caused people to remember Quentin's ghost, when they shouldn't have, to stay away from him.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:42:39 AM »
Thanks, MT! I don't know Captain Scarlett but Jack Harkness, yeah!

I think Barnabas sees the very much alive and handsome Quentin as a big-time threat to the future plans of the Leviathans, which will be revealed in due course.

Does Quentin know that Carolyn is his great-niece or something, the granddaughter of his brother Edward?

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:45:40 AM »
After reading your initial post, DarkLady, I'd have to say that the writer of this ep should have been fired.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 12:50:53 AM »
I delight at the arrival of David Jay if only for the fact that my absolutely favorite MB screen capture of the entire series features him & Julia. Oh, and if not also to lol at his performance.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »
I wonder if the Leviathans saw Quentin as a threat and caused people to remember Quentin's ghost, when they shouldn't have, to stay away from him.

But that ghost has now never existed, so there's nothing for the Leviathans to remember about him either.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »
But the Leviathans are from another dimension and supernatural beings, so they would have knowledge beyond humans.

But that ghost has now never existed, so there's nothing for the Leviathans to remember about him either.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
Carolyn may have seen Quentin's ghost but she may have, quite logically, assumed that the flesh and blood Grant Douglas was not the same person who had possessed her cousin. True, the ghost doesn't exist anymore and no one should have any memory of the haunting. Yet everyone does. Except Quentin apparently.

We never do find out precisely what made Quentin go to the antique store in the first place. Someone living in a spartan boarding house would probably not be in the market for early American furniture. Did he go there to get information on the current branch of the Collins family? Or to specifically to meet Carolyn?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 04:13:12 PM »
But the Leviathans are from another dimension and supernatural beings, so they would have knowledge beyond humans.

But not knowledge of things that never happened.

I really think Carolyn never saw Q the ghost.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 11:24:30 PM »
Who knows what that poster was on the wall in the hospital corridor:

I suspect we may never know...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 12:27:27 AM »
It does look familiar, MB. But I can't place it right now.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »
It looks like it could be a Roman soldier holding his shield in one hand, but who knows what he's holding in the other hand? And who knows what he's supposedly protecting against and/or fighting?