Author Topic: Another Forum Disses DS Boards  (Read 3417 times)

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Another Forum Disses DS Boards
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 01:00:10 AM »
Spirited debate can be respectful (as this forum proves).  Some prefer chaos. 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 01:38:48 AM »
I have got to say that I totally agree with the posters on the other board....  APRIL FOOLS'!   [snow_grin]

I'd like to echo all of the wonderful sentiments posted here.  I am glad there are places on the Internet, like this, that allow for respectful conversation.  There are a lot of ugly places on the Net.  This is not one of them.  I have had such a nice time here, and I have never felt bad for expressing my feelings (positive and negative).  So thank you again for all of the hard work!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 04:01:20 AM »
 [a0d0] You got me, Cousin Barnabas!

But there have been posts that have been deleted from here that made me say "huh?" So, ... might we need to be more tolerant of differing opinions here?
I have had about 2-3 posts deleted from here that I wondered about,

David, a differing opinion has never been a reason to remove posts.  Since you're wondering, a fairly recent topic was removed at the request of Big Finish-- you didn't say where you got the info, but their rep called it "a complete fabrication"; a topic was removed some time ago for containing an unsubstantiated and potentially damaging rumor about a DS actor (you began it by saying "I've heard whispers over the years about"; and the rest were, we felt, only tenuously related to DS if at all.

David

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
I don't recall the Big Finish incident at all! Though it certainly may have happened.

The other one, I think I know who/what you refer to, but no matter, it wasn't that big a deal, my "huh" moment was really just a moment & not a big deal. Just a message board posting, not the end of the world.

That other board raised an interesting,  worthy issue, then took it too far by making idiotic comparisons to Nazis & facists. The bottom line is that I found a lot of kindness & support here--and folks here should know what was being said about us.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »
This is what I love the most about this forum, the insistence of confirmed information.  During my brief flirtation with journalism, it was our number one rule - always substantiate what you say.  It's not a rule confined only with journalism.  Thank you.

Though if they're referring to instances in that topic where a supposed remark that Tim Burton is rumored to have made has been removed, well, no source has ever been given for the supposed remark, and we don't allow any sort of thing like that to remain on the forum without a source being cited to prove that such remarks actually were indeed made. If it's being a Nazi not to allow rumor and heresay to rule the day, well, so be it.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
The issue is that when one signs up for a message board, you agree to certain rules.  You are free to join the board (and by doing so, you agree to abide by the rules) or you don't join the board because you don't like the rules.  It's not that hard, but that's the dynamic lost on some posters like the one Midnite was talking about.  If you don't like the rules of a board, don't become a member and post there.  The fact the poster in question has a problem understanding or following rules is h/h own issue and not a fault with moderators of this or any other board.  It's screwy thinking but there you are.:)

Gosh, I've certainly come across discussion/fan boards where people aren't free to express their opinions, and this is definitely not one of them.  I can't imagine why they would say that.  Luckily, I'm not familiar with that site, so I will certainly not seek it out now   [snow_angry]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »
For what it's worth, some other forums I belong to (not DS ones) allow rumors and I don't mind discussing rumors, so long as it's clear that that's all they are.  However, I read long ago on this forum that rumors are not allowed here, and I'm absolutely fine with that policy and respect it.  If I were to inadvertently post a rumor, forgetting the policy, I would be absolutely fine with its removal, because as Nancy says, I am agreeing to the terms here and they are certainly more than reasonable.  I have left forums when I didn't care for their policies or their moderation practices, and that is good advice for someone who isn't happy.  This is a hobby, after all! We should be here because we enjoy it.  And I do!  My only complaint is that I'm ready for some spring smilies ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »
My only complaint is that I'm ready for some spring smilies ;)

I've been so busy with other things that I completely forgot to switch smileys.  :-[  But I'll get on that right away.  :)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 04:11:54 AM »
Thank you, moderators, for all the "fascism"!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

David

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »
In spite of those occasional "huhs?" I do love this board, make no mistake about that!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »
[a0d0] You got me, Cousin Barnabas!

The devil rabbit made me do it...  [easter_evil]

My only complaint is that I'm ready for some spring smilies ;)
I'll get on that right away.  :)

I was wondering who to thank for the bunnies!  Now, I shall thank you both.  [easter_grin]

Now how about a Bunnicula? [easter_cheesy]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »
YAY!! Bunnies!!!! [easter_smiley] [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy] [easter_grin]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
How can anyone diss a board that has bunnies?   [easter_angry]   [easter_evil]   [easter_grin]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
Only a mad hatter would do such a thing.

How can anyone diss a board that has bunnies?   [easter_angry]   [easter_evil]   [easter_grin]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
Now how about a Bunnicula? [easter_cheesy]

Only Midnite is allowed access to that:
It even shows up as her avatar from time to time.  [easter_wink]  But then she has a whole string of bunny avatars...