Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0233  (Read 1065 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0233
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:45:40 AM »
Robservations - #233

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0233

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 05:59:15 AM »
It's always a pleasure to see Barnabas telling his Widows Hill story to Carolyn and Vicky.  Today I noted the happy ending: the suicide's face showed serenity, which Barnabas's favorite emotion, according to what he said in the Blue Whale the other night.  What exactly is going on in Barnabas's head?

We get a better than usual look at the view from the drawing room windows when there was a flash of lightning.  I always think of the view as being of dark, impenetrable woods.  I'm not sure whether or not I have any reason for thinking that.  But what we saw was just sort of nothing much.  A field with a couple of big rocks and trees, or something.  Not what you'd expect to see out of a picture window in an elegant mansion.  Never mind, it will change.

Jason has thrown Willie firmly under the bus.  Of course Jason doesn't know the full import of what he is telling Barnabas, but he is explicitly telling Barnabas to get rid of Willie.  Jason and Willie had a long partnership, apparently, but that was then and this is now.

It's interesting to see that Jason does not appear to have any idea that Barnabas is a villain.  Jason thinks he's so smart - but he doesn't know about Barnabas, while Barnabas knows about him - or anyway, Barnabas knows as much as Willie knows.  And Barnabas isn't lifting a finger to help Elizabath, because Barnabas couldn't care less.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »
The girls are fretting about the power outage, but Barnabas makes light of it. He says, Electricity [pronouncing it carefully] is something I don’t have a problem with. Then he rhapsodizes about how beautiful the Old House looks by candlelight--as it was meant to be seen, he adds.

The girls listen raptly as Barnabas tells them his story--and so do I, every time I see it. This is one of the best scenes in the whole series, I think.

The end of the story doesn't seem too happy to me, at least not for Barnabas. He does note that Josette's face is serene in death--but he adds bitterly, "As if this was the best possible ending to her life."

Carolyn promptly goes to her room so she can be scared all by herself. Vicki lingers to wonder about the cows and Maggie. She observes, I don’t think we’ll find out what happened to Maggie by any logical process. Barnabas answers gravely, You’re a very clever girl, Miss Winters. Please take care that what happened to her doesn’t happen to you. It could happen to anyone.

It's almost comical to watch Jason blustering as if he's still the boss of Willie. I don't think Barnabas knows anything about the hold Jason has over Elizabeth, because I don't think Jason ever told Willie. He might not be so indifferent if he knew, because he does depend on Elizabeth's hospitality in letting him have the Old House. If Jason were in charge, he'd want Barnabas gone.

Barnabas returns to the Old House. The interior looks a little nicer each time we see it, but Barnabas is indifferent to Willie’s hard work as he screams for Willie and brandishes the cane.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »
I don't think Barnabas knows anything about the hold Jason has over Elizabeth, because I don't think Jason ever told Willie. He might not be so indifferent if he knew...

[spoiler]Oh, Barnabas definitely doesn't know, because as soon as he finds out, he acts!   Think how much story we'd lose, if Willie were to tell him about Jason's scam, now...[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
Wait, are you remembering something I've forgotten, Magnus?

As I said, Barnabas knows as much as Willie knows.  And while Willie doesn't know the details of what Jason is using to extract money from Elizabeth, he does know that the extraction is happening.  If Barnabas cared, he wouldn't have too much trouble finding out what the information is that Jason is using to blackmail Elizabeth.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
[spoiler]I'm going to say that at this point, Willie isn't being very talkative about Jason.  Yes, Barnabas has no way of knowing the exact nature of Jason's hold on Elizabeth right now-- since Willie himself doesn't know yet.   Willie, and therefore Barnabas, does know there IS a scam happening, though.

If Barnabas saw some reason to investigate Jason, he couldn't get much information at this point since Jason didn't tell Willie much.   I suppose Barn had his hands full, and didn't see much reason to get distracted from his stalkery ambitions.   When he finally does turn his attentions to Jason though, he acts...[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »
Vickie now back at Collinwood with Carolyn and they are feeding into each others fears as the storm rages and Vickie once again screams as she sees a figure in the Darkness. It is revealed to be Barnabas this time. Barnabas talks of the wind and the widows, and the girl and her lover and death on Widows Hill. The storm rages outside and he warns Vickie she could end up as Maggie is.  When Barnabas gets home he screams out Willie three times. Almost excellent episode.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
This is one of my favorite episodes. This is where I think you get a little bit of the sad Barnabas story. But he doesn't say it is Josette.

It is great the way JF does the scene like he is reliving it. You are there.

He now knows that Jason and Vickie are putting things together. Jason coming in with the flashlight and make the silly remark about the light bill. It is like he has never been through a storm before. It is almost like they should have a session and put all the pieces together. I think they might come up with Barnabas.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate