Author Topic: David's Behavior Changes When Laura Arrived  (Read 950 times)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
David's Behavior Changes When Laura Arrived
« on: December 02, 2004, 10:22:29 AM »
Sally's Shadowy Secrets is back in business again!  [santa_wink] I just watched Episodes 128-135.  Here are my thoughts.

What I noticed the most was David's change of heart.  David is really warming up to Vicki during these episodes.  He even wanted Vicki to hold his hand when he met Laura again. [santa_smiley]

For the first time, David is seen as a troubled kid who is in danger.  He has a connection with Laura, which he doesn't like.  Ever since Vicki's arrival, David has complained that Vicki was taking his mother's place.  He really seemed anxious to see her again.  But now that Laura is back, he is frightened of her and can somehow foresee a dangerous future with her.   [santa_shocked]

I found myself feeling sorry for the poor kid.  This is a far cry from the kid who tried to kill his father not so long ago. [santa_evil]

----- Sally -----
[santa_cool]
[/size]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: David's Behavior Changes When Laura Arrived
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 08:38:59 PM »
The implication from day one is that David's early years in Augusta with Roger and Laura was anything but normal. Even if there isn't any supernatural stuff going on, every indication is that Roger used corporal punishment early and often on him. His parents evidently fought tooth and nail. David says something about a fight that involved Roger and Laura throwing furniture around--a tale that Roger subsequently confirms. Roger also makes it clear to everyone, particularly David, that he doesn't think he's his son. Laura was at a hospital--either for detox/and or a breakdown. And even if she wasn't the one hurting David, she was nonetheless using him as a weapon against Roger. From what it sounds like--from the beginning.

It's possible to read these scenes more than one way. David wants his mother back, but part of him no doubt associates her with all the bad things that went on. The other possibility that I've always fancied is that the Laura who shows up wanting her son back isn't really Laura.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 02:03:19 AM »
sally,i hope you enjoy the rest of this story...it's one of my all-time favorites.didn't you love laura's early scenes at the diner with maggie?i think at one point she light's up a cigarrette right at the counter(but she doesn't eat a bite).times have certainly changed since one could do that.
diana millay was pregnant during it's filming and as you watch further watch her outfits get blowsier to cover up her "condition". [a2a3]

p.s.i just had to try one of the new smilies.love it!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 08:23:04 AM »
The other possibility that I've always fancied is that the Laura who shows up wanting her son back isn't really Laura.

Yes, Luciaphil, I wonder about that, too.  [santa_undecided] It seems like the Laura who returns is NOT really Laura, and David can perceive the difference.  He knew right away the connection with fire.  [firedevil] [/size]

Diana millay was pregnant during it's filming and as you watch further watch her outfits get blowsier to cover up her "condition".

Thanks for the "heads up", mscbryk.  [santa_wink] I will watch closely during this storyline.  It's fun to watch what they do when an actress is pregnant in real life, and her character isn't supposed to be pregnant. [santa_thumb]

----- Sally -----
[/size]

[santa_cool] [8334]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 11:58:50 PM »
I was always impressed with the development of David's character, per his behavior.  Here is a kid with definite problems, doing everything from terrorizing his governess to attempting to murder his father.  And yet, he never came off as a monster (despite what his father, Roger, said).  He could've easily had been a Rhoda from The Bad Seed, but one always felt sympathy for him, no matter how nasty he became (although one could be tempted to take him out behind the woodshed on occasion).  Through the writing and the plots, it was clear that he had reasons beyond his control for being rather disturbed, and even when he was up to his worst, he had pangs of conscience and even regret.  To me, he was one of the most complex characters in the series.

Gerard