Author Topic: Gothic Horror in Times Scquare article  (Read 4745 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Gothic Horror in Times Scquare article
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2003, 11:40:10 PM »
That 'tangential" connection is the only reason "Vampire Slaying" was the front page of that other fish-wrap, the New York Post....which some idiot handed to my husband on the train this morning, prompting him to break my shoes mercilessly today. >:(

Otherwise, the whole tragedy would be "just another" garden variety New York homicide.

Hopefully, the usual nano-second attention span will have moved on to something else by daybreak tomorrow.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
That 'tangential" connection is the only reason "Vampire Slaying" was the front page of that other fish-wrap, the New York Post.

Exactly. The New York Post and the National Enquirer are two peas in the same tabloid-trash-pod. (Aren't they still owned and operated by the same publisher (and I use that term loosely). :-/) Something tells me that The New York Times probably didn't give DS more than a passing reference. I don't subscribe to their Web site so I can't read the actual article, but a search for "Dark Shadows" brings up the headline "N.Y. Police: Girlfriend Killed Over Scam", which in and of itself is not at all sensational and focuses on the real issue.  

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2003, 12:18:28 AM »
That 'tangential" connection is the only reason "Vampire Slaying" was the front page of that other fish-wrap, the New York Post....which some idiot handed to my husband on the train this morning, prompting him to break my shoes mercilessly today. >:(

It may also have to do with the announcement that "Dance of the Vampires" is closing on Broadway. What a send off!
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2003, 12:18:42 AM »
Jim Pierson and KLS provided blurbs for the story.

And don't you just love it whenever these journalists (another term I use loosely ;)) can't even spell KLS' name correctly. It's just goes to show how much real effort they actually put into their stories. :-/

Connie

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2003, 02:47:00 AM »
Some people might think I'm a little off, but after reading the two articles, I find myself feeling sorry for the guy and not the "girlfriend".  Assuming the story is accurate, all I can see is this pathetic guy thinking he's in love with this woman, he's FINALLY found someone he plans on spending the rest of his life with, and all along she's been scamming him and milking him of all this money.  I can't find any sympathy for her at all.  What a horrible thing to do to someone.  Sick sick sick.

-CLC

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2003, 03:28:08 AM »
Regardless of the journalistic integrity or lack thereof of Newsday, the DS angle has been picked up by the Associated Press, so it's now a newswire thing.

My guess--it's a slow news day and it makes for a good hook.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2003, 05:36:13 AM »
This is  the first I had heard of this.  There was nothing about this sad and shocking event in my local paper.  I am sure had it reached any of my friends or family I would have heard about it.  The whole thing is very tragic.  

A lot of people in general don't get the whole fan fest thing,  now there is a good chance they are going to associate them with lonely, sad, people.  

In the second article what was the bodice ripping vampire comment?  Did any of you ever see that happen?  Cheep trash!

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2003, 06:32:47 AM »
Regardless of the journalistic integrity or lack thereof of Newsday, the DS angle has been picked up by the Associated Press, so it's now a newswire thing.
You got that right, Luciaphil. Just checked the online issue of the Las Vegas Sun & sure enough, the AP article is on their national news page. The LA Times will have it next.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2003, 07:21:30 AM »

And don't you just love it whenever these journalists (another term I use loosely ;)) can't even spell KLS' name correctly. It's just goes to show how much real effort they actually put into their stories. :-/

I was shocked - they left out the TLAT AND  mis-spelled her name! ;)
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2003, 07:26:53 AM »
Cops said the heartbroken Jenkins, who lives with his parents, told authorities he was still a virgin and had been "saving himself for her."

Excuse the cynic in me, but a 48 year old male virgin who lives with his parents and can afford to give his "girlfriend" $95,000 sounds like someone with a lot of other "issues."  First off, why does he live with his parents if he has that much money?  Then, why is he a virgin at his age? I mean. . .I'm gay and definitely NOT a virgin--at least with other men--but I guess some people might consider me a virgin because I've never had sex with a woman.  Is he an unhappy homosexual who has denied his sexuality and become a "born-again" hetero, you know, Exodis International, or whatever that group is who claims they can change gays?  I know--I wasn't at that convention, and I don't know that guy--but there's something VERY not right here with the big picture (and DS has so little to do with it!  We're all very nice, normal responsible adults--at least those of you I've met/talked to/emailed/etc.)  Too bad the press is working the DS angle.  But it's only my opinion.  ;)

Brian

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2003, 07:54:01 AM »
This is just really tragic - makes me so sad.

Have no doubt that some dimwits will think this reflects badly on Dark Shadows fandom in general.  But the story will probably not get much play outside the NYC press.  And I think most who do hear about it will realize these people could have met anywhere.

The human loss is the tragedy, but the whole gun issue is the scariest part to me. Is it a good thing to make handguns so readily available?  And even though I'm sure the gun must've been in a bag he checked before his flight, the fact that you can even bring one with you on a plane AT ALL just beggars belief!

i know cassandra i thought they had gotten more strict about fire arms on planes even in checked in bags
beacuse there have been problems!
jennifer

and i agree Brian he has other issues besides the obvious. the fact he has to tell he is a virgin is pretty weird I mean Who cares!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Connie

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2003, 08:02:48 AM »
Cops said the heartbroken Jenkins, who lives with his parents, told authorities he was still a virgin and had been "saving himself for her."

Excuse the cynic in me, but a 48 year old male virgin who lives with his parents and can afford to give his "girlfriend" $95,000 sounds like someone with a lot of other "issues."

This guy obviously wasn't "average", and probably had some problems, but I wouldn't think that just because he's a virgin at 48 means he's gay and denying his sexuality or something.  (Is that what you were saying?)  I mean, I would think there are a decent number of people who go through life and have never had sex with someone.  No??  I dunno.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2003, 08:03:05 AM »
It's the reference to DS as the "blood-drenched gothic cult show from the late 1960s" that really chaps my ass. Talk about sensationalistic bullshit.

The chap in the photo looks very familiar. Gotta wonder if I actually ran into him in person before.

--Mark[/glow]

Connie

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2003, 08:12:16 AM »
It's the reference to DS as the "blood-drenched gothic cult show from the late 1960s" that really chaps my ass. Talk about sensationalistic bullshit.

Yeah - isn't that great?  And the Newsday article has the picture of Barnabas with the fangs.  Oy vey...
What in hell does THAT have to do with the price of tea in China??

-CLC

Connie

Re:   Gothic Horror in Times Scquare article
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2003, 08:14:56 AM »
I was shocked - they left out the TLAT AND  mis-spelled her name! ;)

Ringo...

I must agree.  That WAS the most shocking thing to me.  LOL

-CLC