Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0259  (Read 875 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0259
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:26:21 PM »
Robservations - #259

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0259

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:37:34 AM »
It's so delightful to see Jason so utterly confounded by something completely outside his frame of reference: mother love. Go Liz!

Back in those days, DWI wasn't a felony, so unfortunately Carolyn isn't in serious trouble. But this is really the nadir for her, and her cruelty to her mother is inexcusable. And Elizabeth has actually left Collinwood for Carolyn's sake. Vicki's heart was probably in the right place when she suggested it, but it turned out to be only another paving stone on the road to hell.

As Vicki walks along the upstairs hallway, we get a great view of [spoiler]the small wooden casket that will much later hold the Hand of Count Petofi. [/spoiler]For now it sits in lonely splendor atop a credenza in the hallway.

Elizabeth finally can't bear her burden alone any more, and she blurts it out to Vicki.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:26:50 AM »
Hmm...I really should update the prop project topic, but I have been very lazy about it lately.
Prop Project: The Box of the Hand of Count Petofi

Back in those days, DWI wasn't a felony, so unfortunately Carolyn isn't in serious trouble. But this is really the nadir for her, and her cruelty to her mother is inexcusable.
I suppose you're right about Carolyn's behavior to her mother, DarkLady, but I can't help admiring her for sticking to her guns.  The demonstration of love from Elizabeth doesn't address the real problem.

It's interesting to see that Elizabeth could tell her secret to Vicky but not to Carolyn.  I assume it's because Vicky isn't flying off the handle at every turn (I rather like that mixture of metaphors), but we have also just been told that the reason Elizabeth can't tell Carolyn is that she loves her too much - so does her telling Vicky mean that she doesn't really like Vicky?  Yes, I know that's ridiculous.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Lydia, please do revive the prop project! It sounds like so much fun!

I think that by now, poor Elizabeth just doesn't have any perspective on her relationship with Carolyn. But Vicki is an employee--even though she's a trusted one--and an outsider, so it might be easier for Elizabeth to confide in her.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
Vicki is not Paul Stoddard's daughter, and is about 10x more level-headed than Carolyn (if we forget her growing up during the Laura business, which I think we're supposed to).   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
Carolyn's acting like such a brat, I'd like to slap her.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 03:33:06 AM »
Carolyn would rather sleep in a jail cell than go home.  Elizabeth comes into town and is confronted with the wanted posters and bars. A reminder that she is just a step away from being there herself.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 06:14:08 AM »
Vicki is not Paul Stoddard's daughter
We don't know that, but I see what you're saying: it's never occurred to Vicky that she might be Paul Stoddard's daughter.