Author Topic: Semi OT spotting of the round couch from 1897  (Read 927 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Semi OT spotting of the round couch from 1897
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:19:47 AM »
Kept forgetting to post about this till I had shut down the computer, but finally today I remembered in time (which surprises me after a 14 hr day at work).

In 1897 there's an unusual round couch with a high back that we see in the Old House.  If the color is accurate, it seems to be a lilac color.  Quentin was sitting on it during a recent (to those keeping up with Watching Project) scene with Angelique.

This dates back to the trip to Washington, and my visit to the National Gallery.  I went in the main entrance, checked out Civil War era portraits and headed down the corridor which led to both Revolutionary era materials and their special, temporary, Lincoln exhibit.

What should I see at the beginning of the corridor but a light grey version of the same couch.  Yes, I sat on it.  [ghost_grin].  But, since photography is strictly forbidden in that area, I don't have any pictures of the wandering prop to share.   [ghost_sad]

Any other cousins been there and seen this?

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Semi OT spotting of the round couch from 1897
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:46:50 AM »
I like how it's designed so no one sitting on it has to face each other.  It's a sort of opposite to the triskelion-y thing in the Collinwood Drawing Room, where three people can all face each other and talk.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:15:17 PM »
I have seen this couch form in several 1960's movies lately.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »
A large version of the circular sofa also shows up in a scene in a hotel lobby in the movie "Grey Gardens."  Little Edie sits on it while awaiting a response from her lover.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:25:30 AM »
Hmm. Interesting on those spottings, Janet and Midnite.  I haven't gone far enough yet as to research it to see how period it is.  Given the rest of the set dressings don't have anything that jumps out and screams non period, I'm assuming it fits.

Magnus -- LOL on the "triskelion-y thing".  Don't think I've ever heard that word in conversation before, outside the title of the Trek episode "Gamesters of Triskelion".  Personally I think it's even more fun as a word than "flounce"  [ghost_wink] [ghost_grin]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics