Author Topic: Semi OT: Stoker  (Read 674 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Semi OT: Stoker
« on: March 31, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
So, have any other cousins seen Stoker?  I went to see it more or less as an experiment with a friend last night.  And I kept saying to myself, "This is one way a DS remake could have been done."  There are only hints of supernatural themes in the film (including a couple of forms of vampirism), and I found neither the story nor the characters much to my taste--the exception that proved the role being Nicole Kidman's baroque, super-charged, and very DS-styled performance as the protagonist's mother (there was also an elderly housekeeper who had a DS flair to her scenes but was only in the early part of the film).

In some ways, this project also shows why it's smarter to come up with your own thing that might provide an opportunity to do an homage to DS, rather than attempting to go back and make more DS (which I've thought for years now isn't really possible). 

I kept thinking of DS throughout the movie (and at times, I was laughing at stylistic touches that nobody else in the theatre seemed to get--I always feel slightly odd laughing in a room full of people sitting in stony silence).  The strongest visual reference I noticed was when a character played by Michael Goode glanced through a window and saw the central female character running away from the mansion.  It made me think of Vicki in those old 1966 photographs...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Semi OT: Stoker
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »
I haven't seen the movie, but it's one that I've definitely had my eye on once it comes out on DVD. And not that I really pay close attention to reviews before I see a movie because, as I've said, I like to see a movie before I read the reviews because I like to make up my own mind and then see if I agree with a reviewer or not, but just judging by the stars or letter grades that have been awarded, it seems as if this is one of those movies that people either respond well to or they don't. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground. And interestingly enough, given your theory that its approach could be a way to go with some sort of a DS movie, Entertainment Weekly was one of the reviews that didn't much like the movie, whereas, as I've mentioned before, they did like DS - and the same guy reviewed both.

Once I do see the movie, I'll try to remember to track down this topic to post my thoughts.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:01:42 PM »
Gothick, you've piqued my interest in seeing the movie.  And btw...
The strongest visual reference I noticed was when a character played by Michael Goode glanced through a window and saw the central female character running away from the mansion.  It made me think of Vicki in those old 1966 photographs...
... Assuming (hoping, actually) that Mia Wasikowska's character is the one seen running from the house, did you know that Bella Heathcote was previously up for this part?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
Yep, it's Mia however-you-spell-her-last-name.

Nicole totally steals what there is to steal of the movie--the cinematographer is the real star...

G.