Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0423  (Read 1098 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0423
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
Robservations #423

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0423

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »
I wanted Riggs to spit terbacky juice into the Petofi Box.  Just a whim.

Farewell Suki Forbes nee Something.   Barnabas decides to kill her, starting his trend of wasting every precious drop of his victims' blood by just strangling them.   But he has to show off first, disappearing first I think, inducing her to step outside, where a scary bat is waiting, causing formerly tough little cookie Suki to have the vapors and retreat back inside, then an indoor bat appears and turns into Barnabas.  Then the strangling, a crude end after such a theatrical build-up.   He went to a lot of trouble, indulged in a lot of fanfare, for the sake of an entertaining death for someone he'd never met or heard of before.   Usually he does the big build-up in order to gloat over an enemy.   Suki was irritating though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:00:53 PM »
In telling the countess about how he found Barn's coffin empty, Joshua actually unbends enough to admit, It wasn’t Ben Stokes, because he cared for Barnabas so much.

I agree: Long, drawn-out prelude to a clumsy strangling. But maybe Barnabas just hasn't had enough practice yet.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:18:45 AM »
Anyone think that the close-up should have been on Natalie when the intro scene closed with Joshua stating that Barnabas' casket was empty?

Natalie's got a new beauty mark - a spade. Is there no end to the assortment? Suki has twigs for arms. As cute as she is/was I think two episodes of Jane Draper is one too many. She's another Googler - how could I not be curious?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »
I found this interesting site on beauty patches. Apparently the color and placement were full of significance for those in the know:

Beauty patches

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »
I don't keep up with these as I should like to do, alas.  I just have to chime in that I LOVE Jane Draper and wish she had been brought back, perhaps as a Levianette, or maybe instead of the dumb storyline where Willie kidnaps Maggie during the Adam storyline, Our Jane could have shown up as a nosy wise-cracking reporter a la Glenda Farrell and started asking "too many" questions.  (Reporter (looking around Collinwood drawing room with distaste):  "So what time do they lay out the chow in this dump?" Barnabas (looking down his nose):  "Madam, you ask... too many QUESSStionssss.")

I didn't understand the point of Barn strangling all those women without having a nice long drink first.  This was even underlined in [spoiler]the scene in 1968 when Trask's ghost comes back and puts Barnabas on trial and Nathan's ghost keeps repeating "strangulation" when asked how so-and-so died.[/spoiler]

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
I also liked Jane Draper. She could have been in another story line somewhere, I'm sure. It's nice to see a new face occasionally.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:31:33 AM »
Joshua suspects grave robbers have taken Barnabas. What no blame on the powerful witch?  Joshua reveals that he knows about the secret panel and it was built Barnabas appears and kills her ending a potentially interesting story involving Millicent, but her story is apparently a D story and will get little thought.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 04:51:22 AM »
I didn't understand the point of Barn strangling all those women without having a nice long drink first.

This is interesting.  I thought it could have been a device used by the writers to explain why all of the vampire's victims didn't return from the dead.  If they were strangled and then bitten, they would not be able to return.  However, most of the strangulations we see, are interrupted or done in haste, so Barnabas does not get to finish.  It doesn't really hold up -- especially given events that transpire later on, but it's an interesting theory nonetheless.