Author Topic: Crossovers with other ABC soaps  (Read 793 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Crossovers with other ABC soaps
« on: May 24, 2007, 01:11:06 AM »
Too bad ABC in 1968 didnt think to use DS to introduce new soap One Life to Live by having OLTL characters appear in cameos on DS.  Victor Lord could have been an old friend/boyfriend of Liz's who made a call to her to update her on his life.

The same for when All My Children appeared in 1970, Phoebe Tyler could have been a college roommate/friend of Liz's  who also makes a call to Liz.

Or Liz could have visited either one.  I doubt they would use Barnabas or other supernatural characters to cross over so as the audience would not think they also were supernatural soap operas.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Crossovers with other ABC soaps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:31:13 PM »
Crossovers might have been interesting. They certainly would have helped to introduce certain characters from other soaps to the DS audience, which was the highest audience in ABC daytime for a good portion of the show's run (and, contrary to what some articles would lead one to believe, the DS audience was not chiefly kids - it compromised all demographics - though kids were certainly a big portion). Though, as you allude, they would have had to be very careful not to make people expect werewolves, vampires or witches to be running amok in Pine Valley or Llanview.  [wink2]

Actually, I wonder when the first crossover between unrelated daytime shows (meaning not parent and spin-off) took place and on which network? The first that comes to my mind was with ABC's All My Children and One Life to Live. But I never watched enough of the soaps on the other networks to really be sure...

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 04:43:25 PM »
I think it would've been possible to do those crossovers, they'd just have to do them within a more "regular" storyline. One that comes to mind is when Jason was blackmailing Liz. Another that could've been used is when Paul comes back and tries to get to know his daughter. Or the writers could've introduced a brand new storyline just for Liz that was more "normal" but somehow fit into the other stories as well.

And as for crossovers that are done these days, several come to mind for me, but I hardly think any of the ones I"m thinking of are the first. lol.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:26:55 PM »
Come to think of it, it would've been interesting if Julia Hoffman went to medical school with GENERAL HOSPITAL's Dr. Steve Hardy!

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 06:00:03 AM »
hey maybe that is where Phoebe met Langley(he really was Roger Collins in hiding) ;D

jennifer
Langley always was one of my favorite additions to AMC ;)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 02:57:51 AM »
Barnabas would think Erica Kane was the real reincarnation of Josette
Dan